I have a 1986 Honda Fourtrax 4x4 that I have always kick-started. I'm getting ready to sell it, so I bought a new battery for it. When I hooked up the fully-charged battery and turned the key, my Neutral Light worked and pushing the Starter Button resulted in the Starter Solenoid making the proper "click" sound (this is when I discovered that the Starter needed brushes). Just as I pushed the Starter Button for the fourth time (this is all before the Starter rebuild), I heard the Solenoid click and then everything went dead...not even a neutral light...I think there was a really quiet click sound when everything went dead (and I think it came from the back of the quad). However, I can still kick start the quad like I've always done and then I have my neutral light, headlights, and taillights...so it's just something to do with the battery side of things.

Since then I have done the following:

1) Checked all fuses...they all checked good (visually and with a multi-meter)

2) Had the Solenoid checked by the local Honda mechanic...it checked good (he suggested a loose/corroded connection somewhere on the old beast may have arced and then lost conductivity)

I have good voltage from the Battery...12.75 volts on my digital meter. I don't see any obvious damage or loose connections, just a little corrosion on the Negative Cable. The Negative Cable disappears into a 2" x 3" black junction box under the right rear fender...what's the box for? The phillips screws for the cover are rusty/mud-caked and I haven't been able to get them out yet.

I also have no idea what the two very small wires coming off the Starter Solenoid are for...anyone know???

If you would like to look at a schematic, go to BikeBandit.com and look under Honda-->1986-->Fourtrax 4x4-->Wiring Harness

Any help is appreciated...and thanks in advance.