Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Piston. Trying to get Cly + Piston on Tonight.

Hybrid View

Installing Piston. Trying to get Cly + Piston on Tonight.

Ok, I have my engine tore down, a fresh bored cylinder (406), and a brand new 86mm wiseco. I am going to try and get the cylinder and piston installed tonight, but I have a few questions.

1. Do I put the piston on the rod, then guide it into the cyl. or do I put the piston in the cyl. then connect the rod?

2. What is the deal with rings? I have read about gapping and stuff, but nothing has been to specific. Do most people gap them or just put them on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kaleb

Put the piston on the rod, put the wrist through, then put the clips in (make sure there's a rag in bottom end so that if a clip falls out it won't be lost forever), then put the rings on, compress the rings and put the piston into the cylinder.

Make sure the rings are gapped correctly, i'm not sure what it's supposed to be on a 86mm piston, JE says they come pregapped but you should always check it prior to installation. Also, make sure you torque everything to specs and adjust valves properly.
    "Cleveland Steamer"

400ex Sparks/Axis/Houser/TCS/AC/Pro-Armor/ASV

Ok, I just found a little paper in my piston box that has gapping info. And my gaps are all fine.

Do I need to oil the rings before I put them on the piston and in the cylinder? I got the bottom oil ring thing on already.

I dont know what ring to put on top and which to put in the second slot. One is a copper like color the other is black. Anyone know which one to put on the top?

Do I need to use a hose clamp or something to compress the rings or can I just compress them with my hands?

Thanks

I don't think it matter which way the compression rings go on, just with the oil ring, make sure it's in the middle, there's two small rings "cover" the oil ring. You can compress it with your hands.
    "Cleveland Steamer"

Should I oil the rings up?

Thanks

Should I put oil between the upper rod and that barrel thing? Also do the rings need oil?

Thanks

Ok I just found out I need to use "molybdenum oil solution" between the rod and barrel pin. Will regular engine oil be fine? What is molybdenum?

Thanks

weather

Originally posted by kalebarellano
    Ok I just found out I need to use "molybdenum oil solution" between the rod and barrel pin. Will regular engine oil be fine? What is molybdenum?

Thanks
    If its cold where you live run Mobile 1 15w 50 if the weather is not a factor run 20w 50 Mobile 1 Yes its automobile oil.I just put 15w 50 synthetic in mine and it runs nice a quite and No smoke.
    2001 400EX soon to be 440EX
    Stage 2 HotCams
    Elka Rear Shock
    Dayton Stearing Stem Stabilizer
    Wiseco 11:1 piston
    AC Black Line Pro Peg Nerfs
    ASV Pro Pack Levers (Billet Red)
    ITP Pro 9 Wheels All Around
    ITP Holeshot HD Tires Front
    Aluminium Air Box (Insane Performance)
    DG Front Bumper
    K&N Air Filter And Outerwares
    ITP Sandstar and Douglas Blue Labels (for the sand)
    HMF (Bill Balance)Candy Red Exhaust
    Pro Curcuit Head Pipe
    Renthal Handlebars W/Tag Grips
    Aluminum Air Scoops

I use 10W 40 I live in florida so its usually hot. But I can use that to lube the piston barrel pin?

Thanks

Originally posted by kalebarellano
    I use 10W 40 I live in florida so its usually hot. But I can use that to lube the piston barrel pin?

Thanks
    Yes. No need to oil the rings.
    "Cleveland Steamer"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast