Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TRX450R Valve Adjustment HOW-TO

Like everyone has said...you want to be on the correct TDC, that is, with the lobes pointing towards the rear of the quad, and slightly up.

You CAN TRY to do it on the other TDC...with the cam rotated 180 degrees...but its not fun fighting those exhaust springs!
    My 2005 TRX450R - Specs, Mods, Dyno Testing, Tech Articles, Pics, Vids, & more.
    | '04 Honda TRX450R - Racers Edge, AZ 545cc "Me Gusta!" Flat Drag Bike |
    | '05 Honda TRX450R - Wicked Motors, MD 450cc "PunisheR" Play Drag Bike |

the writeup has helped me a lot but could it be any harder to adjust the intake valves?
    MX ready freshly rebuilt '07 LTR- For Sale $6000 negotiable, 618-315-1650
    http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=441130

Originally posted by trx450jason
    the writeup has helped me a lot but could it be any harder to adjust the intake valves?
    I'm not sure what you are asking..could you elaborate on your question a little furthur?

The intake vavles are hard to get to with a feeler gauge. I wasn't using the pre-bent ones because I have heard you don't need them but I will pick some up tonight so that should make it easier. What kind of feel are you exactly looking for with the feeler guage to know the correct size? I know your suppose to be able to move it around still but I have no idea how easily it should move.

Hey got where do u recommend getting a digital caliper.I have a micrometer thats like a c clamp but a pita to read.I have seen them at sears but seem rather expensive but again it will be something ill be getting use outta!!!
    2006 TRX450ER DRG MONSTER
    2007 CRF 450R
    2002 Hayabusa

i have a digital caliber and it has save me A LOT of time so far.. i already had one though so didnt have to mess with how expensive they are haha.. but well worth it

My bike has about 5 months of riding on it, and it still starts first kick almost every time and runs perfect.
    Should I still bother to check the valves yet? or wait till it's a little harder to start?

I would think it would be best to check before any signs show, but how soon is too soon?
    05 450r
    Motowoz LT F&R / SMC +3 / Elka Pro Dual Link / RPM / Flexx / Rath / Douglas
    DRG Head / Ferrea +1x4 / CP 12:1 / 05 HRC Cam / HR +3 Balanced&Welded / DRG 43.5 FCR / DASA Classic

i would say go for it.. its really easy to check the valves the only hard part is if you have to actually adjust them. but just to check them all you have to do is remove about 10 bolts

Originally posted by trx450jason
    The intake vavles are hard to get to with a feeler gauge. I wasn't using the pre-bent ones because I have heard you don't need them but I will pick some up tonight so that should make it easier. What kind of feel are you exactly looking for with the feeler guage to know the correct size? I know your suppose to be able to move it around still but I have no idea how easily it should move.
    You are looking for sort of a medium feel. Stick several size feeler gauges in. You will be able to tell which feeler gauge is the correct size by using the wrong feeler gauges. You are looking for a snug feel, but you should still be able to move the gauge around freely. And yes....DEFINITELY use the angled feeler gauges for the intake valves. If yo udon't want to buy angled gauges, you can bend the straight ones to fit. They will probably stay permanently bent.

Originally posted by GIXXER1KR
    Hey got where do u recommend getting a digital caliper.I have a micrometer thats like a c clamp but a pita to read.I have seen them at sears but seem rather expensive but again it will be something ill be getting use outta!!!
    Sears do have some very nice calipers....and yes they are expensive. If you can't afford one now, I would suggest borrowing one from a friend or co-worker.

Originally posted by d3ktrix
    My bike has about 5 months of riding on it, and it still starts first kick almost every time and runs perfect.
    Should I still bother to check the valves yet? or wait till it's a little harder to start?

I would think it would be best to check before any signs show, but how soon is too soon?
    I would definitely check them. Like stated before, it doesn't take that much time to check the valves. And its always better to be safe than sorry. If everything is still in spec, at least you'll have the peace of mind.

well i have it all figured out and back together and it runs and starts so much better than before.. i put in the Hot Cams 2 cam and the motor runs a little louder but ive heard thats normal. your writeup helped a lot

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast