Thread: Three Letter Word Seach

Three Letter Word Seach

The seach function here has a minimum word length of three characters.

That dosen't mean you can't search three letter words like 'cam', 'HMF', 'FMF' etc...

All you have to do is add an asterisk (*) to the beginning or the end of the three letter word.

cam* or *cam
    *HMF or HMF*
    etc...

Adding the asterisk to either end may result in different results meaning *cam may have different results that cam*. Try them both for which ever three letter word you're trying to search to get the most results.
    ATVRiders Janitorial Technician

!!!!!DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!!!!

Not complaining or anything, but what is the technical reason we can't search for 3 letter words?

Originally posted by Scro
    Not complaining or anything, but what is the technical reason we can't search for 3 letter words?
    I belive it has to do with the forum software. Which is something i'm not envolved with.

Re: Three Letter Word Seach

Originally posted by JOEX
    The seach function here has a minimum word length of three characters.

That dosen't mean you can't search three letter words like 'cam', 'HMF', 'FMF' etc...

All you have to do is add an asterisk (*) to the beginning or the end of the three letter word.

cam* or *cam
    *HMF or HMF*
    etc...

Adding the asterisk to either end may result in different results meaning *cam may have different results that cam*. Try them both for which ever three letter word you're trying to search to get the most results.
    I've seen this advice given as a workaround, but the fact is that an asterisk (*) means the same as "1 or more of any character", not "0 or more". So for instance, using HRC* as a search term will not turn up this post, but will turn up posts containing "HRC," "HRC." "HRC/FMF" etc. This is quite misleading and severely limits search results for 3-letter terms for which there's no other way to search.
    '01 440ex, 11.2:1, Hotcam s2, Pro-circuit headpipe, 450r can & carb.
    '87 250x w/ Powroll 352cc stroker

Re: Re: Three Letter Word Seach

Originally posted by olimj
    I've seen this advice given as a workaround, but the fact is that an asterisk (*) means the same as "1 or more of any character", not "0 or more". So for instance, using HRC* as a search term will not turn up this post, but will turn up posts containing "HRC," "HRC." "HRC/FMF" etc. This is quite misleading and severely limits search results for 3-letter terms for which there's no other way to search.
    It may not be perfect but this is what we have to work with. If there's a better way i'm sure everyone would like to know

HRC* came up with 188 topics
    *HRC came up with 148 topics

It's better than nothing

NOTE: you can search for 2 letters such as DG but you need a star before and after the word

EXAMPLE: *DG*
    Jesse Peterson #14

1992 Honda trx250sxf. KTM thumper hybrid JB. LSR. ELKA. FULLBORE. AC. TAG
    1996 Honda 300EX, Long Travel!! GDH. SPARKS. UNI. MAIER. TCS. DOUGLAS. MAXXIS (practice quad)
    1999 foreman, 450s
    94 Blaster
    97 z50r..... the PIT BIKE

Thanx to my sponsors

X~stream compsites, Renthal, Mom and Dad

Mods do you think you could put this as a sticky in all of the different topics? People forget to look here and they don't know how to search 3 letter search term and they end up asking the same question as ten different people.
    > Honda set up totally for MX with all the extras removed
    >CRF-EX
    >LSR CRF
    Thanks 2010 Sponsors ASV, DWT, Engine Ice, Laker Customs, Motowoz ATV Racing Shocks, Precision Racing Products, Rath Racing, Rox Speed FX, RPM Racing Axles, Spastic Designs, Spider Grips, Streamline Brakes, and Tag Metals.

Everytime I do this my internet explorer freezes and it comes up error. Whether i put it at the begining or the end. Not my computer I dont think. I have a new HP laptop with Vista pro and not sure what internet explorer but its definitly newer.