Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 04 no start, searched, tried it all.

04 no start, searched, tried it all.

It seemed like the usual cold start hatred of the 400 but no matter what I do now, it's just not happening and I am getting frustrated. Here is what I have done.

Been through to carb, all that should be there is there, nothing broke out of the blue, has a HMF full exhaust and a Uni filter and a DJ jet kit. Carb is jetted the standard stg1 jet for intake/exhaust with a lid still on (can't remember the jet), replaced the stock 38 pilot with a 42, everything is sealed properly, drained tank and carb and threw in fresh 93 JUST IN CASE, fresh ngk plug and the works.

Last Sunday, she was a bit of a pain to start but nothing bad. Rode it four an hour or so just playing around behind my house, back in the garage she went.

Well I needed room as I got my motor back from the machine shop for my car and so the 400 went in the bed of the truck as I have big fear theft and I wanted it with me and not just behind the house as I needed the entire garage. It was rained on one day while in the truck and then came out the next.

When I took it out, it wouldnt' start, not even a hint of wanting to start although I have everything required (fuel/air/spark) and so then I went on the pilot jet change fresh gas and plugs deal. Still nothing, not even a hint.

What could I have missed and is there anything the rain could have down that I haven't done just riding it in the wet? I am at a loss, sorry for the huge post but trying to get all the info out right off the bat. Thanks.
    2004 400ex, HMF, JetsRUs, Uni, AC, ProArmor, Tusk, Primary Drive, MSR, Shockpros, ITP, A.R.C, DID, G Force. Sold

Looking for a 450R.

FUEL AIR SPARK COMPRESSION...if i was u check the compression.. it may sound stupid but thats the four thing i know ya need too make a motor run...
    2000 406ex...
    Yosh Header W/Pro-Ciricut T-4 S/O
    04 450r Carb(180K,48K,4thNotch,3turnsoutonA/F)
    No lid w/outerwear cover
    K&N w/outerwear
    11:1 commpression piston
    Stage 1 hotcam
    CRF450 timing chain
    OEM clutches w/ barnett clutch springs
    New OEM boss & pressure plate
    snorkle removed w/outerwear cover
    05 450r front shocks
    maxxis iRazors Rear
    Holeshot fronts w/douglas red label
    tag T2 bars w/tag grips w/magnum bar clamps
    pro design kill switch
    magnum carrier
    Durablue lowering strut
    Ac propegs
    Ac front bumper and skid plates
    urethane front a-arm bushings
    magnum ez-pull clutch lever
    2 sets of plastics Red stock and yellow stock race cut w/250r scooped race hood
    painted red frame black sub frame,a-arms,and swingarm... Never should of sold it!!! 2007 Vinson 500. 2006 extreme typhoon 125 1991 LT 80

Originally posted by hondaracer57
    FUEL AIR SPARK COMPRESSION...if i was u check the compression.. it may sound stupid but thats the four thing i know ya need too make a motor run...
    It has compression as well, I thought that went without saying.
    2004 400ex, HMF, JetsRUs, Uni, AC, ProArmor, Tusk, Primary Drive, MSR, Shockpros, ITP, A.R.C, DID, G Force. Sold

Looking for a 450R.

lol im stumped...ummmm maybe try a diff plug ive had an ngk get spark but not enough for it too run and it was brand new so i just threw the old one back in and ran perfect...how does the motor turn over faster than norm or slower...
    2000 406ex...
    Yosh Header W/Pro-Ciricut T-4 S/O
    04 450r Carb(180K,48K,4thNotch,3turnsoutonA/F)
    No lid w/outerwear cover
    K&N w/outerwear
    11:1 commpression piston
    Stage 1 hotcam
    CRF450 timing chain
    OEM clutches w/ barnett clutch springs
    New OEM boss & pressure plate
    snorkle removed w/outerwear cover
    05 450r front shocks
    maxxis iRazors Rear
    Holeshot fronts w/douglas red label
    tag T2 bars w/tag grips w/magnum bar clamps
    pro design kill switch
    magnum carrier
    Durablue lowering strut
    Ac propegs
    Ac front bumper and skid plates
    urethane front a-arm bushings
    magnum ez-pull clutch lever
    2 sets of plastics Red stock and yellow stock race cut w/250r scooped race hood
    painted red frame black sub frame,a-arms,and swingarm... Never should of sold it!!! 2007 Vinson 500. 2006 extreme typhoon 125 1991 LT 80

are u running an aftermarket rev box? what does the plug look like after you ran it, after u crank on it is the plug wet, dry, black, white? how do you know u have spark, did u check with a spark tester or just lay the plug against the engine? Battery fully charged? so many possibilities it's hard to stay but a wise man once told me "keep it simple, stupid"
    2004 400ex
    wiscoe 416 kit
    Stage 1 Hotcam
    Port and polish
    Dynojet Jet Kit
    K&N Airfilter w/o airbox lid
    White Brothers E2 pipe
    Heavy Duty Cam chain
    Cometic Gasket set
    DG nerf bars

OK, sorry for the added time it took to answer and thanks for the help so far, been busy as hell.

Rev box is stock, plug is brand new so no color yet as it hasn't fired but it is wet, not soaked, just damp. (I do know the difference, I am a mechanic for a living on turboshaft engines and do a lot of aftermarket builds as well on hotrods, just to clarify so you know I am not a COMPLETE idiot lol, just not "great" with carbs)

Don't have a tester, laid it against the block, battery is fully charged.

It's odd because the only thing that changed in the 4 or 5 days between me riding it and it saying "NO MORE" was a bit of rain while it was in my truck bed. It's not even on the same gas and everything has been flushed so I can't see the water playing a factor. Especially since it's an ATV and somewhat designed to get wet.

My next question is, will the coil still maintain enough spark to spark against the head but be dying out enough to not crank? I can't see this happening honestly, I have built a lot of cars with weaker (for what they were in) stock ignitions that would start and run like a top on the low end and under light throttle but once you laid into it and the boost built, then they would have blow out and shut off and on becuase it could n't maintain spark.

Just confused and don't know where to look next. If it had a MAP sensor, TPS, IAT, IACV and a fuel injector, I could figure it out already.

Looking for a 450R.

Is the gap correct on the spark plug? Is your vavles adjusted?

Check the ebrake switch.

Maybe try putting a heat lamp or samimander next to it and heat it up and see if it starts.
    V-Twin King Quad

Originally posted by firefighterjosh

Check the ebrake switch.[/B]

E brake switch??? This I haven't heard of. What have I missed?

Haven't check valves in 4 hours, guess it wouldn't hurt, I have thought of the heat lamp though and put it by my keroscene heater and under my 2000 watt garage light for 3 hours a couple of days ago to get her to crank. No good.

Looking for a 450R.

HERE YOU GO

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthre...hreadid=281561

It talks about it there....I know on my warrior this was faulty and wouldn't let it start at all.
    V-Twin King Quad

Thanks for the link Josh, I will look into that this afternoon. My ebrake is still on and functional but who knows. I have tried it with the clutch in, in neutral, and everywhere else but I am about out of ideas so anything is a help at the moment.

I appreciate it man.

Looking for a 450R.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast