Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaved Flywheel

Shaved Flywheel

Ok guys here is a question for you all. I have heard of a shaved flywheel a few times on here. What exactly is a flywheel and what will shaving it do for you? Just decrease the weight?
    Thank
    C&D Racing, 308-696-7805

SOLD ---------- SOLD

2001 400ex, JE 416 10.8:1, Hotcams Stage 2 Cam, C&D Racing Port and Polish, Viton Valve seals, 39mm FCR Carb, Complete Curtis Sparks X-6 Exhuast, Sparks Timing Key, Magnum Rev Limiter, Sparks 8 Plate Clutch, Race Cut Fenders with CarbonFiber Hood with Scoop w/ mesh insert, Magura Hydrolic Clutch, Steel braided clutch line, Holeshots MX Rear on Red Labels, Holeshot MX Front on Red Labels, K&N Air Filter with Prefilter, ShockWears, AC Skid Plate, and Polished Propeg Nerfs, TAG X-5 Bars, Kill Switch, DR Blockoff Plate, OMF Radiator Shrouds, Elka Triple Rate SSD, Rear Elka Rebuild, +2 Houser a-arms (HammerTone and Chrome), Lonestar Axcaliber 2 + 2 axle, Polished Motor Mounts and Sidecase, DR number plates, PEP Steering Stabilizer.

C&D Racing, 308-696-7805

When sitting on your quad, the flywheel is under the left side case cover. It's a critical component in the charging, timing and ignition of your bike (that's what those two allen head plugs are for--access to the flywheel to time it).

Taking weight off the flywheel gives the engine less rotating mass (inertia).
    Lightening the flywheel has both highs and lows. It will make your engine rev quicker, give you better compression braking, and less weight overall. An easier stalling engine is the only downfall, but an experienced rider shouldn't have any problem.
    Hope that helps, any more questions just ask...
    2000-440ex Stroker--Fan Cooled

Houser +1 A-Arms, Elka Triple rates, Laegers +1 1/4 Swingarm, G-Force Axle w/Durablue Anti-Fade Locknut, 14/36 Gearing, DID X-Ring Chain, C&D Revalved Rear, Maier Silver Plastic, Steel Grey PCed Frame, SPAL Fan, AC Bumper, Pro Armour Footpeg Extensions, Renthal Bars, Yoshimura Full Exhaust, 450R Carb w/ZR's Adaptor, K&N w/o Lid, Powroll 440 Stroker w/stg 3 HC, P&P Head, HD rod, GT Thunder HD Studs, and Timing chain, AMR Monster Coil, 4 Degree Advance Key and a 12oz lighter flywheel. Now at 12.5:1 Compression!

450R Front brake upgrade using 06-up Spindles and 07' hubs.

450R Rear Brake Upgrade

Kenda Knarly XC Radial 21x11x9 Rear Tires

Shorai Lithium Iron Battery

Running E85--Jetting: 70 pilot, 240 main, HRC needle on bottom notch and shimmed.

The main reason I had mine shaved is it will help in climbing hills and racing MX...If there's a hill around you that you always have to climb in 1st because the bike wants to bog down,,,not anymore...If ya race and you come into a corner a gear high just keep the revs up and it'll burst out faster and not want to bog down...there are pros's and con's to it but it's helped me more than hurt me..let me know if ya need more info..

Rico, where,(on the flywheel), do they shave it down? Would you trust that most reputible shops know how and how much to shave?

I don't know what ta tell ya there man,,,,I had mine done at Rocky Ridge Racing 270-259-9604 in KY,,,he specializes in quads and races them also,,,I'd maybe call Ken (owner) and ask him he should be able ta give ya the low down...

They remove around 6oz. im not sure where exactly on the flywheel they remove it from, but its very important its balanced well when there done. definately find someone who has done them before.
    440, Ross 11.5:1 piston, Web cam 479 grind, race port & polish, oversized valves, hardened rockers, CRF450 cam chain, 39mm FCR carb, lightened Flywheel, Stock clutch, WB CDI box, K&N filter , WhiteBrothers E-Series full exhaust, Sidewinder Chain, 15/36 gearing, open airbox, LSR Axcaliber +3.5 axle, Houser Racing +2 a-arms, Elka triple rate, fully adjustable front shocks, +1.25 Houser swingarm, Tag Metals X5 bars, Arens +1 steering stem, Muscle steering dampener, Stainless Steel brakelines, HeatSeeker temp. guage, Pro Design kill switch, DG Pro Series nerfs, 8 run Hauler paddles. ~~http://www.sounddomain.com/id/trick440ex~~

When you guys shaved your flywheels...did you use an electric razor or a disposable?

STRAIGTRAZOR is the only way to go!

Hey Jabber. I heard that the Mach 1s worked pretty good for shaving. ROTFLMAO

how did you guys pay for this?
    You get what you put in,
    and people get what they deserve.

Life is money, but what is money without life?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast