Thread: First Time Jumpers...Read This

First Time Jumpers...Read This

For those of you wanting to learn how to jump...Here is a quick how to article...might save you a trip to the ER...

Learning to Jump...
    Mark Twain: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, dream and discover."

Don't work
    2003 Raptor 660 - Wiseco piston, Hiper wheels, Holeshot GNCC's, Renthal bars, +4 G-force axle, +2 +1 Gibson a-arms, GYTR Graphics kit + seatcover, Duncan bumper, Gibson stem, handguards, GYTR Carbon Hood, shock covers, PRM Grab bar, Regina chain and sprockets, AC Blackline Pro Pegs, GYTR carbon engine covers, GYTR HD clutch, Quad Tech Seat cover, Twin Air Powerflow, Pro Armor Full/swing arm skids, Tusk Rotors, Sparks exhaust, Dial-a-jet, LA one way starter clutch, Works Triple Rates Remote Rezzies, RAD billet carrier, Lonestar sproket and brake hub, SS brake lines, ECATV billet goodies

2000 400ex - Sparks, jet, K&N, Tag bars, Nac's graphics, AC nerfs, RZR MX's

2003 Mojave - White Bros, Douglas Beadlocks, Holeshots, Spacers

07 DRZ Supermoto - Full Yosh, 3by3 airbox mod, JD Jet kit, much more

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Rooster#20
    2002 406ex
    dyno jet kit
    wb e-series slip on
    wb powerfilter
    black handgaurds
    ebc brakes

Re: First Time Jumpers...Read This

Originally posted by KTM265
    For those of you wanting to learn how to jump...Here is a quick how to article...might save you a trip to the ER...

http://www.slingenmud.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82
    All you do is post links to your site, not only on this forum, but on atvnews as well. Stop advertising your site like this, it is lame.
    02' Honda Rubicon
    05' Honda 450r
    07' Honda 250ex

Never be afraid to try, remember...
    Amateurs built the ark
    Professionals built the Titanic

Re: Re: First Time Jumpers...Read This

Originally posted by comrad
    All you do is post links to your site, not only on this forum, but on atvnews as well. Stop advertising your site like this, it is lame.
    I'll just take the time to post it up since you are sooooo offended my me saving time and just posting a link. BTW...Nice Forum website you have listed as your home page...

First thing you want to do is find a nice big table top jump to use and wear your safety gear...Table top for those not familier with types of ramps and jumps is a ramp up and ramp down with dirt filled in between that is for the most part level with the top of the ramps. These are good jumps to learn on since you can come up short and not get planted into up-ramp of the next jump.
    Approach...Get your speed set before you start up the ramp and stand up. Standing up helps when you hit the take off ramp at the base...the machine will be less likely to compress the springs and release on the ramp before reaching the top...You'll see in the first picture I'm standing up and looking for a nice square, smooth lip on the ramp.

On ramp...increase your throttle. As you go up the ramp your machine will slow down so give it some gas, even increase the speed. DON'T LET OFF THE THROTTLE AT THIS POINT!!! At this point you are committed to going in the air. If you back off the throttle, it will cause the front end to dive the second it leaves the ramp...very bad thing that hurts a lot.
    Just prior to take off...Be looking ahead for where you are going to land...again be standing up and stay on the throttle. It's better to stay on the throttle then to back off...

In the air...Here is where pending how far you want to go you either stand or sit...If I'm going for some distance, I tend to sit and create less wind resistance. If I'm hopping short or getting altitude in the jump, I tend to stand up more...Think of your body as a wind break...At this point pending how you want to land you need to adjust your throttle. There is mixed thoughts on landing front first, rear first or all four at the same time...I personally like to set it down on a flat front first but at a shallow angle...much smoother landing. To do this you back off the throttle a little once you are in the air. To land rear first, give it gas in the air...Landing rear first will cause the front to "slap" down and I think is a little more of a violent landing. Somewhere in between with the throttle will put you down on all 4 wheels at the same time...just takes practice.

Landing...again be off the seat and use your legs as shocks too. This is especially important if you are getting big air or running with a lot of speed...Brace your self in the arms, have your knees bent and as the machine touches down, bend the knees and end up sitting on the machine...one fluid motion.
    Mark Twain: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, dream and discover."

Here is a continuation of that thread...Downhill landings. There is some video in this article.

Downhill Landings