Thread: 400 artic cat

400 artic cat

We have a 400 artic cat in the shop it will surge off and on whie under throttle. You ride it around and it spits and sputters, Valve clearance is fine, spark plug seems good, carb has been taken completely apart and cleaned. It almost acts like its a speed limiter, but I guess I'm told here isn't one on it.

Anyone got any ideas?

it could be running too rich, i'd lean it out a bit and see if it helps

Take a look at the clutch side lever. Most quads have to be started with the clutch pulled in. That sensor could have failed. Also if the ebrake was taken off can cause a sensor to go crazy
    V-Twin King Quad

400 artic cat

Dad talked to a Artic Cat dealer, and they said there is no sensor off e-brake or speed control or anything. There is a electric line off of brake but its just for brake light.

about half way down it talk about the clutch postition sensor. Tell you how to bypass it too

http://bareperformance.com/news/?page_id=62
    V-Twin King Quad

Take off the seat open the fuse box and look at the diode it looks like a fuse but its black with a white arrow on it.... turn it around so that thew arrow points in thew opposite direction it is now...
    06' LT-R450 , SPARKS, TAG BARS, PCIII USB, RATH NERFS, BUMPER, GRAB BAR, SWAYBAR, MAIER, PRO ARMOR, ITP, AMERICAN RACER, ELKA'S, DENTON STABILIZER, PRO DESIGN, HOUSER, K&N, JE 13.5:1, HOT CAMS, CVUSTOM QUAD WORKS -2 SWINGER

The problem is a sensor that is causing the problem have it inspected (max20)
    "Fend for yourself"

sport or ute? try draining the carb and catching what comes out, sound like water in the fuel. I am not aware of a clutch sensor on either one of those and I have a lot of experience as an arctic cat mechanic in a dealership. If the 400 ute is making noise in the top end then it will probobly need a new cam chain.
    2004 DVX 400
    -FST 500 big bore/stroker, cams, valvesprings, revbox, ported head, Yoshimura full exhaust, Edlebrock carb, custom airbox/batterybox and headlight eliminator, elka shocks, janssen swing arm, gibson a-arms and steering stem, LSR gusset kit, AC nerfbars and bumper.

2008 KTM 525
    -Rath nerfs and bumper, KTM a-arms, Twin-Air filters, Hiper wheels with razrs, precision dampener, Flexx bars, bored carb, 13:1 CP piston, 806 cam, Weapon exhaust, Renthal chain and sprockets, quad-tech hood, FourWerx parts
    -2009 sponsors-661, Oneal, Works Connection, CP Pistons, SMX Optics, Amsoil, Weapon MX, Twin Air, Renthal, ASV Inventions, Steve's Sports Center, Chuck's Welding and Repair

i dont know much about the artic cats wireing but i know polaris if all essed up... is there any light out... oil temp, n, p, r, my buddy worked ona old polaris 3 wheeler and it had a burnt out lite and i spent over 500 on the top end and it was the ligt the whole time... it could be something really simple....
    Originally posted by BakerRacing40
    bad thing is she's probably been rode harder than half the bikes in the start gate..

but you can still have fun with somethin that's a lil worn out...

RIP John Gallagher Sr

give him a blessing or two... god bless this rider and all fallin riders..
    http://www.metalmulisha.com/team/jeremy-lusk

250r... the G.O.A.T of quads...