Thread: New Clutch Cable issues

New Clutch Cable issues

I have 2000 and 2002 honda 400ex's. I purchased a new clutch cable for the 2000 and it seems too short? I have used all adjustments and it will not go into neutral while running. It seems harsh when going into gear also. It moves forward with the clutch in when shifted. While shut off it shifts great. I'm sure it's something simple but I'm lost. I tried to match all the distances on the perch bolt and down by the motor etc to my other quad which works perfect, but that didn't work either
    Thanks to all

how much play is in the lever? there needs to be a little bit so you are not partially riding the clutch when the lever is all the way out but if there is too much play the clutch won't full function properly either.
    2005 450r

*sold* 2001 400ex

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right."

"A leader will take you where you want to go. A great leader will not necessarily take you where you want to go but where you ought to be."

"If you want to do something, you will find a way; if you don't, you'll find and excuse!"

"Its not aptitude but attitude that determines your altitude."

There doesn't seem to be any play in the lever. I've tried every adjustment and it still seems really tight and stiff. Is there a certain procedure for putting the cable on, start at the perch and go to the motor or vice versa? I had to actually take the lever out of the perch and strain to get the cable to it while connected to the motor. Seems like there is too much sheathing and not enough cable.
    thanks again
    KP

Whens the last time any of the clutch components were replaced? If you have a basked that has grooves in it, this could resemble hard pulling too....If you dont think its the cable I would take a look at the clutch itself.
    M-Dub

Quadless as of now
    05 KLX110 - some stuff
    01 ZR600 - bone stock
    1992 LT80 - pitquad I guess?

So far the people that have SCREWED me on here:
    powerband
    and yamablaster24 more yamablaster24

Remember every time you run wheel spacers or flipped rims... god kills a kitten

"The best you have ridden is the best you know" Paul Thede- RaceTech

Ignorance is NOT bliss -- it's embarrassing and counter-productive

Experience is a tough teacher she gives the test first the lesson afterwards

RIP 606

any chance you can get a picture of the two areas of adjustment? sometimes a picture can show us and we can help isolate the problem for you
    Staff Photographer ATVRiders.com
    Senior Photographer ATVInsider
    Staff Photographer GNCC Racing/ATV MX
    Staff Photographer Vurboffroad
    Staff Photographer Cycle News

I will try to get some pics this evening and post them. Compared to my other 400ex it seems identical as far as adjustments etc. I don't know if I should be taking my clutch apart, how involved is that? I just got the 2000 so I'm not sure of it's true maintenance history. It's for my girlfriend and of course it works one time, long enough for her to like it, then breaks. thanks to everyone for all the help. This was a great forum to find. Any marine construction questions let me know.
    thanks
    KP

you could have routed the cable wrong
    JH Racing-#1 Aftermarket Parts Store 918-371-0101
    Eric Williams #7
    08 kfx450r
    07 trx450r
    05 trx450r

odds are you routed it wrong i had the same problem, if your clutch worked fine before you switched cables then it's not a clutch problem, make sure you go though the cable holder that is allmost under the header then up to the perch running though the holder just under your bar clamps. or maybe it's the wrong cable!
    400ex:
    elka rezzys front-rear,
    doughlas shamrock beadlocks front-rear,
    razr's front-rear,
    AC a-arm, belly, swingarm skids
    K&N and pre-filter,
    airbox mod,
    carb mod,
    red stainless brake lines front-rear,
    red anodized 40 tooth rear sprocket
    AC nerfs,
    renthal bars,
    pro shifter,
    parking break removed,
    white brothers E pipe,
    denton stabilizer-bent need one! PM me!
    gripper seat

http://www.myspace.com/itismejoshy -pics of my baby.

Free Ipods, Laptops, Gift Cards HERE

Thanks for all your help guys. Turns out the clutch is shot. I purchased the quad off of ebay for my girlfriend's christmas present so she can ride with me. The guy on ebay f-ed me real good. Described as perfect. Reality: Shot rear shock, no front brakes, fuel leak, now a bad clutch too, it was adjusted to just barely work, it was always hard to get into neutral, when i put on a new cable it magnified the problem. be careful with the ebay route, my other 400ex came from a dealer on ebay and it's perfect I guess you win some and lose some.
    thanks again to everyone
    kyser