Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stuck clutch?

stuck clutch?

Hi there,
    I'm having trouble and hoping you can help.

I bought my daughter a used 2003 lt50 last week. We got it home and it ran pretty good and started up very easily.

After the first day of riding I decided to give it a complete tune up. I brought it into the shop and tore the whole thing down. I lubed all pivot points, cables, reassymbled the breaks(they were sticky/stiff), new carb hoses, new oil injector line, replaced the old injector oil with fresh oil, new spark plug etc.... you get the picture

I also removed the intake restrictor, replaced stock filter with a twin air, removed the extra pilot jet, and drilled out some extra holes in the air box to make it breath better. These were all mods that I did on my sons JR50 with no problem.

Anyway, I get the machine back together and it now will not start. It's really strange though. Here's what happens. I turn the choke on, I give the pull start approx 10 good pulls, the motor almost fires... then the pull start gets really difficult to pull. It feels like the clutch is engaged. If I keep on trying, after about 100 pulls, the pull starter will loosen up again. At this point I'll let it sit for 10 minutes because it's flooded (and my arms feel like they're going to fall off my shoulders from pulling )

I keep going in circles with the above steps. Every time it gets to that point that it almost fires - WHAM - the clutch engages and won't release... I ASSUME.

Does anyone have any ideas here. I got as far as pulling the right-side clutch cover off the bike last night.

Any help is appreciated here.

Thanks,
    Pat

can you even adjust the clutch in the lt50? I combed through these forums and couldn't find anything about adjusting the clutch in this bike.

No you cannot. It's a centrifical clutch.
    2000 GNC 5N\
    2001 GNC 9N \ 40+ class
    2004 GNC 9N /
    2014 rock crusher "GO tortoise GO!"
    2016 Byrd Rooster
    Father of the "11" time National champion,and worlds fastest woman ATV racer
    A few fast LT80's
    250R~300cc's
    300ex
    350 Rancher
    Kymco Mongoose
    Survivor of the 12 Hours of ATV America 04 and 05

Thanks for the reply.
    I thought you could adjust how much slippage there is... ?? I thought I remembered the jr50 had an adjuster(which is pretty much the same motor). Any thoughts on why it's behaving the way it is?

I hesitate to reply because I'm not a LT50 guy.
    I'd hate to give incorrect info.
    Go to motorsportssupercenter and look at the fiche. That may help.
    2000 GNC 5N\
    2001 GNC 9N \ 40+ class
    2004 GNC 9N /
    2016 Byrd Rooster
    A few fast LT80's
    250R~300cc's
    300ex
    350 Rancher
    Kymco Mongoose

ok thanks anyway. Yeah, I've looked at the fiche and couldn't figure it out. I guess I'll have to just tear into it and see if I can figure it out.

argh!!! This stinks. I finally got some time last night to try and pull the clutch apart and I didn't have the correct size socket to break the nut on the clutch. So frustrating... My daughter's bummin

I put it all back together after I realized I couldn't work on the clutch and tried starting it again...

Same problem as before... it almost fires and then the pull start gets real hard to pull. I at least figured out that if I raise the rear wheel off the ground and spin the wheel vigerously once this happens, the pull start goes back to normal. However, I was still unable to get the thing running.

If nobody here has any further advice, do any of you know of another forum that might be able to help. I looked around, but couldn't find anywhere else on the internet that had an LT50 forum.

ANY help is appreciated.

Thanks.

atvconnection
    There is some long LT50 threads.
    Altho, I don't think that they are going to advise other than taking it apart and seeing what's wrong. Obviously there is a problem.
    Anyways, go there and see what they say.
    2000 GNC 5N\
    2001 GNC 9N \ 40+ class
    2004 GNC 9N /
    2016 Byrd Rooster
    A few fast LT80's
    250R~300cc's
    300ex
    350 Rancher
    Kymco Mongoose

thanks. I found a few guys there with similar problems. If I figure this out, I'll post what I found,

ok. So I took the motor apart. Long post coming up here, I have a few questions. Tell me what you think please.

I'll use this diagram to explain

When I puled the #11 plate off the clutch this is what the clutch shoes inside the clutch looked like:

I know it's not the greatest picture, but as you can see there are a bunch of gouges in the side of the shoes. Is that normal? By the way, is that what they're called? Clutch shoes? Anyway, the clutch was definitley stuck, but I can't figure out why. Look at this picture:

Does this discoloration look normal? Do you think it's just a the way they manufactured it? Here is the other side of that same part:

OK, next issue:

As you can see I need a new top end. How can I tell what size piston to go with? what tool do I need to measure the cylinder?

Also after taking the motor out of the quad, I saw that the head gasket was leaking, so I'll order a new one to fix that issue.

OK. last question, when I spin the magneto by hand, there is one point in the rotation where it feels like something(maybe the coil?) is rubbing on the flywheel. Should there be resistance when I spin the flywheel by hand like that?

Thanks, and sorry for the noob questions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast