Thread: tips on slow wheelie?

Hybrid View

tips on slow wheelie?

Hi, I have a 400ex stock except a sprocket and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for slow wheelies. I do them in 1st gear since I'm trying to get a good feel for everything before I start getting some speed. I've been clutching them, with one foot on the grab bar mostly. Is it better to bring it up slowly, or snap the clutch and drop a lot of weight back and then trying to balance it before it goes past the balance point. When I go past the balance point too quick I can't move my weight up to save it and I hit the grab bar. I kinda got a feel for the balance point but it's still sorta hard. I was thinking if I put the stock sprocket back in, that would give me a little more throttle to work with, and it wouldn't snap back on me so quick like it does sometimes. Thanks.

I practiced a little more and I can control it a little better. My biggest problem is when I go past the balance point, I can't recover from it, like theres too much weight on the back. The only for me to really keep the grab bar off the ground was to get on the rear brake, which puts it down sometimes, other times it seemed to be too far gone to do much.

Slow wheelies are harder than fast wheelies.

You can do it either way...brining it up quickly, or bringing it up a little more slowly.

The quicker you bring it up, the slower you'll be going. If you bring it up a little slower, you'll be going faster by the time it gets to balance point.

Typically if I were to want to just do a regular slow, normal wheelie I would get the quad rolling nice and slow...maybe a 1/4 throttle if that. Let of the gas, and then punch it and pull up on the bars. I'd let off rather quickly as the quad approaches balance point, but usually won't let off all the way. Once there, smoothly adjust the throttle to the proper position so that you can remain at the balance point. This type of wheelie should not require the rear brake if you practice enough.

If you want to go extra slow, then begin from a complete stop. Dump the clutch nice and hard (but smooth), while pulling up on the bars. If I'm doing it with one foot in the grab bar, I'll also add a little bounch in there for added weith transfer which helps it come up quicker and helps with traction also. As the quad approaches balance point pull in the clutch and be ready to firmly but smoothly hit the back brake. Once the quad reaches balance point, or slightly past, give it some back brake to bring it back down a bit. You'll want to bring it more to the lower part of the balance point, or even slightly below. Be ready when it reaches that height on it's way back down and smoothly release the clutch while giving it gas.......you basically repeat these steps for as long as you want to keep the wheelie up. The higher you bring it, and the less you let it fall back down, the slower you will go.

Anyway, that's about it.

-Josh
    www.CVBOYZFREESTYLE.com

Silver 400EX

Naked Z400

Thanks for the tips, I'm going to go practice these for a little while, and see how they help.

for me, when i walk it (really slow in 1st) i use the clutch, and then i use the gas to bring the front end up, and as it falls i give it more gas and so on
    2002 banshee - some go fast parts
    07 klx110 - alot of go fast parts

That seemed the best way for me for doing it at a dead stop, I think I eventually just lose touch and hit the grab bar or fall foward (usually the former.)

Running at a slow pace then punchin it made it a lot easier, I rode some good ones like that, just ran high in the rpms.

I played around doin some 1st gear sitdowns also, I rode some real good ones for me (20 feetish) then I lost touch. I think I just need to figure out where exactly to sit in the seat, and play around with the throttle a little more. I've mostly been doin them with one foot in the grabbar.

what helped me was putting my foot on the grab bar, then sitting on the back of my foot. That made a world of difference.
    06 400EX
    Pro Armor FatPegs
    Pro Armor MX front bumper
    HMF Slip On
    Black ITP rims
    ITP Holeshot HD's all the way around
    Jetted w/ 155 main and 38 pilot

u shuld easly be able to just lean back really far and give it a bit of gas and it shuld pop right up. it just takes a bit of pratice. as soon as u do it 1nce ull b able 2 do it all the time
    2004 yfz--to much to list

2001 400ex----SOLD

2003 KFX 400
    Metal Mulisha graphics
    Full razrs
    AC dirtscreen
    Black powdercoated rims and bumper
    Pro circuit t-4
    Trail tech speedometer
    Trail tech handlebars
    Shock covers
    Uni filter
    Durablue HD axle

I can ride slow wheelies forever and even bring it to a complete stop and start it back out again!!

anyway though what I do is put my left foot in the grab bar, right foot covering the rear brake. then I pretty much just let the quad idle forward, then give it gas and press with my left foot to bring the front end up fast. Then when it starts to go past the balance point I "SLIGHTLY" tap the rear brake and let the front end come down a little. I don't like to let it get past the below the balance I like to keep it more towards the very top of the balance point where your about to hit the grab bar, but if you use your rear brake you won't let it hit the grab bar with enough practice... once you get this down good enough you'll start to stall your quad from going so slow, then thats when you have to start pulling in your clutch while your not moving..but that will come in time. For now just practice practice and practice some more!!
    87 250r
    blue lakers front and rear, pro taper bars, p51 ishocks, esr trx5 centermount pipe&silencer, esr hanger, esr air box eliminator kit, esr shifter, vforce 3 reeds, 38mm air stryker, port/polish, bored, cr head gasket, ac racing nerfs, +2 +1 laegers, ims oversized tank, devol kicker.

i start from a dead stop in 1st gear and pop it up then shift into 2nd and feather the throttle to keep it almost straight up while keeping the revs low