Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lt80 Help

So ya gotta do the "rock-a-doodle" with it eh...LOL
    I would think this would point to the carb. It sounds like the vent is plugged???? Suck on the vent line. ...Suck twice~spit once..LMAO!!
    If you leave the petcock on prime is it OK (vaccum working?)??

Once started and run, there is no fuel residue in the motor.

Instead of rocking it, try hand choking the carb with 2 fingers and see what it does.
    2000 GNC 5N\
    2001 GNC 9N \ 40+ class
    2004 GNC 9N /
    2014 rock crusher "GO tortoise GO!"
    2016 Byrd Rooster
    Father of the "11" time National champion,and worlds fastest woman ATV racer
    A few fast LT80's
    250R~300cc's
    300ex
    350 Rancher
    Kymco Mongoose
    Survivor of the 12 Hours of ATV America 04 and 05

hey LT80,

The vent line is clear i can blow through it, the motor gets fuel ok on reserve and on and it flows perfect on prime, what is the 2 fingered choke trick and what does it show ya, could i have installed the needle valve wrong or can u not, thats the only thing i can think of in the carb that could cause a problem, so you've heard of people dancing with LT's to get them going?

Cheers

I've seen ppll do alot of things w/them. LOL
    The rocking would seem to be moving something. Where and what is the problem now eh!
    When a machine won't fire, I push the rubber off the front of the carb, stick 2 fingers in front and hand choke it. I donno why but it opens things up sometimes.
    I don't know what could happen to the needle, maybe the seat is wore. That's rare.
    2000 GNC 5N\
    2001 GNC 9N \ 40+ class
    2004 GNC 9N /
    2016 Byrd Rooster
    A few fast LT80's
    250R~300cc's
    300ex
    350 Rancher
    Kymco Mongoose

I think i've finally got it running right, yet another carb clean seems to have done the job, i'll try it in the morning and make sure she cold starts, how many turns should the idle screw be out roughly?.

Thankyou.

The idle screw is adjusted to the proper idle when hot.
    It's a screw to adjust the slide, not a air/fuel mixture screw like some have.
    2000 GNC 5N\
    2001 GNC 9N \ 40+ class
    2004 GNC 9N /
    2016 Byrd Rooster
    A few fast LT80's
    250R~300cc's
    300ex
    350 Rancher
    Kymco Mongoose

The LT has been standing in a cold damp garage for a week, went to start it and it fired straight up with choke on and then died after about 3 seconds, tried again and same thing, rocked it from side to side with choke on and it fired up, kept rocking it with a bit of gas until it would idle, ran it for 5 minutes and it ran good and idled good, shut it off and tried again and it fired straight up and ran good, could there have been crystalized fuel in the pilot when i tried to start it which then cleared when i got it running, cos surely the pilot has to be clear for it to idle as good as it did, the fuel in it is 5-6 weeks old, can it detiriorate in this time, are LT's known for being cold blooded, should i start the thing up more often with it not getting properly used, i know LT80 mentioned a filter on the vent line but it has just been sitting in the garage since it last ran good, where should the vent line be routed, can u fit a fatter pipe? sorry for all the questions, thanks in advance for the help

Yes they are a lil cold blooded.
    The rocking thing sure is weird.
    Gas can go bad that soon but I doubt that's it.
    The vent line isn't the problem either this time (as you stated, it's been sitting).
    This is a tough one.
    2000 GNC 5N\
    2001 GNC 9N \ 40+ class
    2004 GNC 9N /
    2016 Byrd Rooster
    A few fast LT80's
    250R~300cc's
    300ex
    350 Rancher
    Kymco Mongoose

Thankyou,

I'll try it in a few days when it's cold, if it's still no good i'll borrow a compression tester just out of interest to see what it's at, what is the procedure for checking it?, i can't see it being the fault as this thing used to fire straight up until i replaced jets and she's now a pig to start. surely it can't lose compression that fast?, i'll let u know what happens, have a good week.

Steven

Comp test:: hold throttle wide open and crank till the gauge peaks.
    2000 GNC 5N\
    2001 GNC 9N \ 40+ class
    2004 GNC 9N /
    2016 Byrd Rooster
    A few fast LT80's
    250R~300cc's
    300ex
    350 Rancher
    Kymco Mongoose

hi LT80,

I just tried the lt again and the same thing, would only run for a few seconds with choke on, removed the vent line from the carb and it started fine and ticked over fine, i can blow through the vent line ok, i borrowed an air compressor for the weekend so i'll blow through the vent with it 2moro and remove and clean the carb again with compressed air, i have been using a john deere carb cleaner spray while i've had this problem and wondered if it wasn't suitable for the carb, how do i remove the needle valve seat to clean it and the brass piece below the main jet as i havn't yet whilst cleaning the carb as this will be the last time it's apart hopefully, where do u route the vent line?, mines routed up the frame with the starter cable and earth etc.

I removed head and piston today and found there was movement on the big end from side to side, there is non up and down or forwards and back, when u hold the top of the rod u can move it at least 1mm side to side, it was all tight when assembled and now it has play in it, what is the big end tolerence?, what do u think LT80?. is it still serviceable? as i've now sold it and don't want to spend more money on it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast