Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lt80 Help

hey LT80,

I have rebuilt the carb again and fit new pilot and main jets, i now can't get the thing to start, it has fired a few times and ran for about 2 seconds gave it gas and it died, i'm thinking that i've just flooded it, could i have adjusted the needle valve by accident when cleaning(the bit with the Y shaped clip that i removed, i think it's needle valve) or has it no adjustment, i'll leave it overnight and try it 2moro, hopefully just flooded,

thanks

Could be flooded. Check the plug and see if it's wet.
    There is no float adjustment so you didn't mess that up
    The O-ring didn't fall out/mis-align did it?
    2000 GNC 5N\
    2001 GNC 9N \ 40+ class
    2004 GNC 9N /
    2014 rock crusher "GO tortoise GO!"
    2016 Byrd Rooster
    Father of the "11" time National champion,and worlds fastest woman ATV racer
    A few fast LT80's
    250R~300cc's
    300ex
    350 Rancher
    Kymco Mongoose
    Survivor of the 12 Hours of ATV America 04 and 05

Finally got it running, tried it this morning and nothing, plug was soaking wet, removed it and hit the starter and fuel spitted out of the plug hole, left it to dry up for a while tried it again nothing, removed and stripped carb, checked everything, still alright, put the little black rubber in under the jets as i had fit it without, rebuilt it and tried again, held the starter on for about 25-30 seconds she coughed and spluttered fuel from exhaust and then fired up, ran it for ten minutes and it seems perfect, so i presume it was just badly flooded or could it have something to do with the black rubber?, also when i removed the fuel line it had a steady stream of fuel through it when the tap was on reserve, it didn't come through like it does on prime but i thought it was only drawn through when the motors running?, last thing is when i start it up from cold there is a noticeable ticking/tapping noise from the engine somewhere, it's hard to pinpoint where it's from, after around ten seconds it stops, it doesn't increase when revved up, is this common with lt's i hope so.

Thanks

more problems today, went to start it today after draining the carb last night and it just turned over and over and fired once, when i was turning it over the starter motor started to make a horrible grinding noise as if it wasn't meshing, checked the gear on the crank and it seems ok, but i cannot get the starter off, i have loosened the footpegs and removed the carb but i can't get it free, can u please tell me the technique so i can hopefully overhaul it and get this sodding thing running, what do u think could be wrong with the starter, maybe just holding it on too long caused it to be stupid, could it now be damaged?. could it possibly be the battery also getting low on charge,

What is the best way to start them when you have an empty carb bowl, prime till it starts?

Thanks

I sence your pain.
    Clicking noise. Usually piston slap, which means a wore pistom/bore. This could explain why it's starting so hard with the excaetion of the motor being full of fuel. FYI: when starting a flooded motor, hold throttle wide open to allow more air to mix.

The petcock should be up and down to run and prime to get the bowl full. Up and down works on vaccum. If there is a problem, simply get a on/off valve at the lawn mower place and run on prime.
    FYI: we/ve been running carbs w/o the black rubber for 10+ years, I doubt that's a problem or fix.

Certainly it could be a low battery. You've not tried charging?
    Starter removal (if needed)::I take it you/ve removed the 2 starter bolts. I figure you've also popped it out of the case with a slight tap. Now thw fun.
    It does come out! Possibly stand the machine on end to remove from the bottom. OR,,You may have to lift the motor (remove the long bolt) slightly. They are tight. I think I remember getting it out w/o lifting the motor tho.
    Use jumper cables/battery charger. Ground the starter and touch the positive to where the cable attached. If it spins and sopunds ok, it proly is. You may have burnt it up. I don't know what parts are available for the starter. Maybe go to http://www.nrys.com/fiche_select.asp

FYI::Cut those footpegs in 1/2 (middle of the machine) and make a rod to re-join them. This allows both footpegs to be removed and out of the way. It also is a giant help when servicing the clutchs to just be able to remove the left footpeg.
    Ebay has them.
    Lemme know how it turns out.

My 2 fingers hurt...j/k
    2000 GNC 5N\
    2001 GNC 9N \ 40+ class
    2004 GNC 9N /
    2016 Byrd Rooster
    A few fast LT80's
    250R~300cc's
    300ex
    350 Rancher
    Kymco Mongoose

Thanks LT80,

It has only been hard to start since i replaced the pilot and main, before that it was perfect, i've just fitted new piston and rings, it's a stock motor, the old piston still felt tight in the bore so i checked the ring gap with a feeler gauge in three places down the bore and it was all perfect, hope the starter is ok, just needs battery charge, tho it is a newish battery.

Steve

How about a broke reed?
    I still think it's in the carb seeins the compression should be good.
    2000 GNC 5N\
    2001 GNC 9N \ 40+ class
    2004 GNC 9N /
    2016 Byrd Rooster
    A few fast LT80's
    250R~300cc's
    300ex
    350 Rancher
    Kymco Mongoose

would a broke reed mean too much gas to motor and lack of compression? i will look tommorow, LT80 thanks for all your input, sorry for being a pain in the ***, if only you lived nextdoor.

A broke reed will push fuel/air back thru. (they always push a lil).
    Shouldn't effect too much fuel or compression. It was just a thought since the carb is off.
    Happy to help.
    2000 GNC 5N\
    2001 GNC 9N \ 40+ class
    2004 GNC 9N /
    2016 Byrd Rooster
    A few fast LT80's
    250R~300cc's
    300ex
    350 Rancher
    Kymco Mongoose

Hi again,

I finally got the starter removed by lifting the motor slightly, overhauled it and is now working perfect unlike the motor, when i was removing the starter i removed the carb for access, as you suggested i checked the reeds and they were in good shape as far as i could see, refit reeds and carb and sealed up the reeds and carb spacer with gasket sealant to eliminate any air leaks, primed carb with fuel and just turned over and over with or without choke, giving it gas never helped and then for some reason i started rocking the bike side to side whilst sitting on it with my feet on the ground (probably releasing a bit of anger) and it started up, i kept it running by giving it a bit of gas and then took it up the road, got back to garage and set the idle and it ticked over perfect, stopped it and started it right up with no probs, left it for 24 hours and tried it again, hit the starter and it ran for 2 to 3 seconds and died and then wouldn't fire up again, rocked it side to side and it fired a few times and then i got it going, took it up road and ran perfect and idled perfect, what do u think is the problem, could there be excess gas swimming around in the crank from it being flooded? seems strange it starts when u dance with it.

Thanks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast