Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 400ex front end conversion help

400ex front end conversion help

I have a 300ex I am building from the ground up and went with a complete 400ex front end on it (400ex plus 2 plus 1 a arms) and the issue I have run into is it appears that I need longer upper ball joints in order to get the front wheels straight up and down. Has anyone else run into this? Anyone know where I can get 4 inch (threaded part) upper ball joints?

if your building a mx bike you want your wheels like this / \ so when u turn it goes like this / | or | \ . it makes the quad more stable but on a 300ex conversion you want to run it more strait up but still angled a tad.
    "He who has the most money, goes the fastest"

www.Tri-valleyracing.com
    Tri-Valley Racing 300ex
    1993 GMC sonoma
    1994 Lincoln Mark VIII street car
    1996 Ford mustang gt drag car
    Sponsors:
    Cycle Pros
    Bettencourt's
    Tri-Valley Racing
    Tri-Valley Repair
    Starr's market
    FMF
    Factory 909
    Socal/decal works
    Hutch motorsports

If your nut for the balljoint is on the inside of the a arm, go ahead and get it where you need it and put it on the outside of the a arms. Here is a pic to help you. Mine was the same way, but we just put the nut on the other side.
    Attached Images Attached Images

300ex_#387 ...........you did a 400ex aarms and shocks correct? i did as well but mine seems to sit really high and i seen ur picture, wat did u do different

dan, i got your pm but havent had a chance to see if there are any BJ that have a longer shaft

we had no issues with ours
    Staff Photographer ATVRiders.com
    Senior Photographer ATVInsider
    Staff Photographer GNCC Racing/ATV MX
    Staff Photographer Vurboffroad
    Staff Photographer Cycle News

Originally posted by honda965
    300ex_#387 ...........you did a 400ex aarms and shocks correct? i did as well but mine seems to sit really high and i seen ur picture, wat did u do different
    I used 250r shocks and 250r a arms. Same exact thing as the 400ex. My shocks are ZPS, so that is why it sits lower. I'm also not running a bracket relocator, and I am running a 250r long travel a arm.

Originally posted by 300ex_#387
    If your nut for the balljoint is on the inside of the a arm, go ahead and get it where you need it and put it on the outside of the a arms. Here is a pic to help you. Mine was the same way, but we just put the nut on the other side.

I have two nuts between the ball joint and the a arm with the locking nut on the outside and that still isn't enough to get it straight up and down.

Here are a few pictures to better explain it.

Close up picture

Originally posted by Pappy
    dan, i got your pm but havent had a chance to see if there are any BJ that have a longer shaft

we had no issues with ours
    Thanks Pappy. If you have a sec, take a look at the a arms in the pictures and let me know if you think the uppers are not the correct ones for the lowers. They are Burgard plus 2 plus 1 or that is what I thought I bought at least

I don't think you have to have that nut on the inside of the a arm. That could give you a little more to adjust. Might want to make sure with someone else though. Your also using the 400ex spindles, and I don't think Pappy ever switched to those. I am running 250r spindles, and I did have to take the nut off on the inside of the a arm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast