Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ATVriders.com Polaris Outlaw 525 Test Ride - Mojave, CA

ATVriders.com Polaris Outlaw 525 Test Ride - Mojave, CA

Last year Polaris started a whole new era in ATV racing by introducing the first IRS sport quad the Outlaw 500. I was given the opportunity to race the 500 for ATVriders.com at the Sparta Ky GNCC race. Having not rode in 8 months before the race I was worried about not being in shape enough to last the 2 hours and still finish well in the overall results. I was pleasantly surprised when I not only finished 2nd overall, I felt like I could go at least 2 more laps. This was due to the IRS suspension being so forgiving in the rough Kentucky terrain. I was very impressed with this new Polaris but I noted two things that I'd like to see changed. One was it needed to go on a diet and second it needed a snapier motor to be competitive in the pro class.

Not long after that race the rumors started flying about a new Outlaw that would be getting a motor from a KTM motorcycle. I have rode and raced KTM bikes in the past and knew that they build some of the best off-road racing bikes in the world. I had a feeling this was going to be exactly what I wanted in the new Outlaw.

In October I got a call from Harlen Foley, CEO of ATVriders.com asking me if I'd like to go with him out to California and test the all new 2007 Outlaw 525. Before he even finished his sentence I was packing my bags. I had never been so excited to ride a new quad before.

We arrived in Mojave CA to a beautiful snow fall on top of the surrounding Sierra mountains. It was like something out of a Robert Frost novel. Although very windy and a bit cold for southern CA it was great weather for riding.

The folks from Polaris picked us up from our hotel and drove us to the Jaw Bone Canyon riding area just outside of Mojave. It was the typical high desert terrain with plenty of sand washes, rocks, whoops and steep hill climbs. Great terrain to really open up the 525 and see how it would do.
    First on order was a walk around of the bikes as the Polaris reps explained the new features for 2007. First off the motor is straight out of KTM's 525 EXC motorcycle, they have made a few changes to make this motor more suitable for an ATV. The oil capacity has been doubled over the motorcycle for longer life and fewer oil changes. They have taken the 6th gear out and replaced it with a reverse gear. Also a Keihin FCR-MX carburetor has replaced the Mikuni, the FCR's are the best carbs on the market bar none!

They have upgraded the front calipers to dual pistons for better response and feel. They have gone with Maxxis radial tires which will be much better than the old Dunlops. The engine is more compact and lower leaving room for a larger 3.9 gallon fuel tank, this will be great news for the GNCC and desert guys because there will be no need to buy a larger tank. Polaris chose to switch from the Fox shocks to the Arvin Ryde FX shocks for 07. They weight is down by 39 pounds over the 500 bringing the dry weight to 395 lbs. That is basically equal to the Raptor 700.

Another great addition is they brought over the hydraulic clutch from the bike. The air filter has been changed to a larger better filtering system. The seat latch problem the plagued the 500 has been redesigned and should no longer be an issue. Polaris also changed the gusset on the sway bar so that it will no longer break like the early 500's did.

When it came time to ride I picked a quad and sitting on it felt great. The layout felt very neutral, the tank area is very narrow which makes moving around very easy. The controls were in just the right places. I'm pretty picky about the way my controls are positioned and the bend of bars but the Outlaw 525 felt spot on. The new hydraulic clutch has a super easy pull and is very smooth. Another benifit to hydraulic clutches is that they are self adjusting, you never have to adjust them even when the clutch gets hot (all quads should come with one of these). I'll say right up front that I hate thumb throttles with a passion however, this is the first thumb throttle that I actually liked. It is super easy to push and very smooth all the way through the travel. I rode for about 3 hours non stop and my thumb never bothered me at all. I would have had a sore thumb for the next two days on any other quad! As soon as I hit the starter button the motor came to life and didn't even need to be choked in the lower 50 degree weather.

First thing I did was take it to a long straight away and noticed immediately that this is a very quick racing ATV. I'd say its in the top 5 of the quickest quads I have ever rode, the quickest stock quad for sure! The power band came on early and did not stop pulling all the way to the top. Very crisp and responsive!

After a few minutes riding around the camp, we would all gather to take a 1 hour guided trail ride into the mountains. First off we went down a 3 mile wash full of whoops, I noticed right off that this bike will stay on top of the whoops if you keep it pinned. Even if the whoops were uneven the IRS would keep tracking straight unlike a solid axle quad. I did however notice that if I slowed down and allowed the quad to fall into the whoops the rear end would tend to swap some. I believe this is due to the rear shocks being a bit under sprung and under dampened. The shocks are preload and compression adjustable but we did not have tools to play with the settings. I believe this can be cured with some adjustments. I did get a chance to ride the 500 through the same section and the Fox shocks did not swap at all, if they can get the rear Arvins to work as good as the Fox shocks it will be much better.

The transmission shifted smoothly and had good gear spacing. I did notice that the shifter was too long even with my size 11 boot. Polaris told me that it was the shifter from the motorcycle and would be shorter on the production units. We did not have a radar gun but I do believe that I was in the mid 70's mph on one short straight aways. Did I say this quad was fast?

Next we would head into the mountains on some narrow ridges with steep climbs and descents. One particular hill climb I purposely took a line with some deep rain ruts. The IRS went through these ruts like the weren't even there. I would have been stuck for sure on a solid axle quad! There was never a time when I wish I would have had more power. I could climb all the hills in a taller gear than I would have on another quad. Just roll on the throttle and hang on.

On down hills the brakes worked incredibly well. Until now I thought that Honda had the best front brakes on the market. Not anymore, the front dual piston calipers bring this quad to a stop on a dime. Stoppies are a blast on this quad. The rear brake worked equally well and showed no signs of fade even after my attempts to make them fade.

Steering was quick and precise with no bump steer noticed. Even tho this bike weighs a little more than the current 450's, the weight is carried low and is very flickable. I could easily change directions and off cambers were easily negotiated.

After the trail ride we were allowed to go out on our own for some photo's and testing. Harlen found this huge drop off into a sand wash and told me I had to jump off of it. I'm not much of an MXer but you gotta do what the boss says. On the first jump I came off the ledge a little crooked and braced for the 1 rear wheel landing. To my pleasant surprise the IRS soaked up the landing and did not sling me to one side like I was expecting. You can get away with crazy landings that would send you flying off a solid axle quad. I made the jump several more times with the same results, smooth predictable landings.

Next was some high speed runs over small whoops with some turns thrown in. Again, the Outlaw 525 would stay right on top of the whoops as long as you kept the throttle pinned and your weight back. Through the turns it stayed level with no signs of body roll like one might think with IRS. It corners just like a solid axle quad.

I believe that Polaris has a winner here! This quad is very capable of winning a GNCC or desert overall as well as being a great trail quad for the experienced rider. This is the quad I have been dreaming about since the early 90's. It is only time before the other manufactures will follow suit and make the IRS switch.
    Jeff Stoess
    Team GATEWAY KORHS
    Kawasaki KX450F

Outlaw 525 KTM Engine
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Click Here --->ATVriders.com Hoodies, Shirts, and Stickers Available Online <---

Please Support Our Site Sponsors!
    Mud Motorsports, BCS Performance, ITP, Maxxis, Tire Balls, Douglas Wheels, Burgard Cycle, T&T Racing, DASA, GBC Motorsports, HMF Engineering, Motoworks, ELKA, FOX

The Polaris Outlaw 525 will be available in all black and white/black, which wasn't orginally announced.
    Click Here --->ATVriders.com Hoodies, Shirts, and Stickers Available Online <---

Mud Motorsports, BCS Performance, ITP, Maxxis, Tire Balls, Douglas Wheels, Burgard Cycle, T&T Racing, DASA, GBC Motorsports, HMF Engineering, Motoworks, ELKA, FOX

ATVriders.com Test Rider, Jeff Stoess, geared up and put the Outlaw 525 to the test

Jeff Stoess has posted a overview of his test ride, and here are a few sneak photos from the test ride. The full report and video will be released toward the end of January, but I figured there was no use in making everyone wait, so here are some of the action photos with a full photo gallery to be released with the complete report.

The riding area was completely different than anything that Jeff and I would ever find back home.

Hammer Time!!

Joshua Tree

Suspension Testing

Airborne

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast