Thread: steering locks when you turn to far left or right

steering locks when you turn to far left or right

Whats w/ that? How do I fix it? It seem when you lift the front end that it locks onto the framing or something. How do you stop the sterring from going to far over?

I hate that on the 300. You can have a couple 1/4" shims welded onto the end of the stops on the steering stem to make it stop a bit sooner.
    Brandon -O||||O-
    1998 Honda TRX300EX (330)

Thank you

I never had this problem is it only with lt front ends?
    2002 300EX

worst town I've ever lived in... Spencer,OH
    Originally posted by Trevor
    I never had this problem is it only with lt front ends?
    From what I'm told this is common on 250x/300ex's with stock or aftermarket front ends. Mine doesn't do it either. Maybe we were lucky.
    I am now quadless...

Aye it's a common issue. Stock.

If you turn all the way to the left or right.. the nut from tie rod ball joint will hit the arm. If you have the suspension compressed a significant amount while turning left.. it will turn past the a-arm and the nut will be on the inside of the arm. Once the suspension uncompresses.. you're stuck with the steering pointing left.

Usually happens when coming down an incline.. transitioning into flat compressing slowly while turning sharply.

Not fun.. lol.
    Brandon -O||||O-
    1998 Honda TRX300EX (330)

Interesting

I have never had this happen on either of my 300's, I never seen the nut go past the indention on the a arm.
    '98 300EX - stock with uni filter.
    '01 300EX - stock with add-ons:K&N w/Outerwear, Supertrapp 4" Racing exhaust, Holeshots XCT front , Spider Tracs rear and other appearance items.
    '91 250X/350X Conversion, with 400ex A-arms & shocks, shock relocator, Durablue 2+2 axle, +2" extended swingarm, Powroll head pipe with Supertrapp 4" Racing exhaust, Graydon frame skidplate, Puresport Bandits all around, K&N w/ Outerwear, EHS Air box cover, and other appearance items.
    '98 300EX drag bike in progress, getting parts, with plans to make 330 out of it, shorty Supertrapp 4" Racing exhaust, with +4" swingarm.
    '01 300EX with plans to make 330 out of it with add-ons:K&N w/Outerwear, White Brothers full exhaust, Holeshots XC front , Spider Tracs rear, both on ITP rims, with 400EX a-arms 450r brakes and spindles and 350X rear end and other appearance items.

mine does it too. couldnt i just turn the tie rod upside down to where the nut is facing up?
    03 Predator

Originally posted by bwamos
    Aye it's a common issue. Stock.

If you turn all the way to the left or right.. the nut from tie rod ball joint will hit the arm. If you have the suspension compressed a significant amount while turning left.. it will turn past the a-arm and the nut will be on the inside of the arm. Once the suspension uncompresses.. you're stuck with the steering pointing left.

Usually happens when coming down an incline.. transitioning into flat compressing slowly while turning sharply.

Not fun.. lol.
    Sounds like your also talking from experince. I had that problem with my stock 300ex front end also, but once I put a aftermarket front end on it I never had it happen to me again...
    2006 White Suzuki LTR450 - Cherry Bomb - SOLD

97' BMW ///M3

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=360918

E-mail - fastandthefurious67(at)msn.com