Thread: New stock plastic airbox

New stock plastic airbox

My stock airbox broke at the back bracket . So i just ordered a new box (only 12$ WOW!!). What i was thinking is that i can take the broken airbow and ad a new aluminium bracket on the back then cut out the hump in the bottom of the box turn it around then somehow reattach it so I could possibly fit my battery in it. Has anyone tried this ? If it works i will get pic's so i could possibly do a review on how it turns out.It would definetly be a much cheaper alternative to the aluminum counterparts!!
    400EX- Renthal Bars,MotionPro Twist Throttle,Pro Design Kill Switch,AC Mudscreen Frt Bmpr,AC Fullbody Skid,AC Swingarm Skid,AC Pro-Peg Nerf Bars,Steel braided brake lines,Denton steering stabilizer,Raptor EZ-Pull Cluth Lever,Maier Universal XC Handguards,White bros. E-series Pro-Meg Exhaust,K&N Air Filter w/outerwear,Works Shocks w/Shockwears,Wiseco 440 kit, Hotcam,Eichner series Edlbrock carb,Hinson clutch and basket,6 degree timing key,FST oilcooler,Oversized oil tank

Definately post pics if you get to work, I've been trying to figure out some way to get my battery out of harms way without paying a bundle.

#77 is offline My DS will live again...
    Ever heard of plastic welding? I recently found out about it. It sounds like you could try that!
    2001 DS 650- Diamond G racing steering stem, Longhorn bars, Armadillo a-arms, HMF exhaust, jet kit, Trail Tech computer, and some other stuff.

Coming soon- YFZ 450 Pro-Pegs, CRF 450 rear master cylinder, braided lines, IMS 5.0 gallon tank, black plastic and seat cover, powdercoated frame and swingarm, HPR engine kit, Scott's Stainless oil filter, radiator shrouds, and much more.

you think the plastic airbox will hold the weight of the battery when landing from jumps?
    In memory of Christopher (Chrissy) Riley Andrews / 1-24-02 to 1-23-06
    we love you Chrissy

What i was planning on doing was building a cradle out of aluminum to support the weight of the battery. That plastic welding sounds like a good idea to seal the box back together and keep the water out. Where can i find out more on how to do that?
    400EX- Renthal Bars,MotionPro Twist Throttle,Pro Design Kill Switch,AC Mudscreen Frt Bmpr,AC Fullbody Skid,AC Swingarm Skid,AC Pro-Peg Nerf Bars,Steel braided brake lines,Denton steering stabilizer,Raptor EZ-Pull Cluth Lever,Maier Universal XC Handguards,White bros. E-series Pro-Meg Exhaust,K&N Air Filter w/outerwear,Works Shocks w/Shockwears,Wiseco 440 kit, Hotcam,Eichner series Edlbrock carb,Hinson clutch and basket,6 degree timing key,FST oilcooler,Oversized oil tank

#77 is offline My DS will live again...
    I am not really sure, I heard about it from a friend. I will try to get a call to him once he gets back from vacation.
    2001 DS 650- Diamond G racing steering stem, Longhorn bars, Armadillo a-arms, HMF exhaust, jet kit, Trail Tech computer, and some other stuff.

Coming soon- YFZ 450 Pro-Pegs, CRF 450 rear master cylinder, braided lines, IMS 5.0 gallon tank, black plastic and seat cover, powdercoated frame and swingarm, HPR engine kit, Scott's Stainless oil filter, radiator shrouds, and much more.

Any one ever snap off the 2 brackets on the airbox with hte 2 rubber bushings in the( the ones that rest on the frame)? I over cleared a 40ft table top today and landed flat missed landing. I was also wondering if any one has made thier own aluminum air box? i am going to start measuring tommorow to make my own( i am a machinist)
    Slightly Modded YFZ450