Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ideas on how to unfreeze rear brake

Question ideas on how to unfreeze rear brake

Well now that there is snow and it is really cold, my rear brake is locking up. It did this last year too. It's really annoying and I don't know how to fix it. Has this ever happened to anyone else? What did you do?
    406ex - January '13 QOTM

Luckky. Mines been perminitly locked up for a year and a half.

once it warms up outside it unlocks for me, but when its cold it gets pretty stuck
    406ex - January '13 QOTM

can u describe the problem more in depth cause my rear brake is locking up and i dont know if it is the cold or not, heres what was happening with mine

when i hold the brake just a bit and give it gas the bar my brake cables run into stick, which will now be called the slider, even when i completely let go of the brake it sticks. but as soon as i completely let off the throttle the slider pops right back into place. I cannot give the quad gas and hold the rear brake just a little at the same time or the slider will stick and i will go no where. Also when im going down a hill and tap the rear brakes and let go the slider will stick in place. It seems that whenever i hit the brakes when my gears are moving the brake slider will stick, but when they are not spinnng it goes right back into place.
    2003 Honda 250EX
    --
    -6-ply Maxxis Razrs on Douglas Black Labels in back
    -FMF Megamax slip-on
    -Uni Air Firlter
    -Outerwears Air Box Cover
    -Snorkel Delete with Pantyhose Cover

If you got a 2nd Gen AWD DSM for sale near PA lemme know!

Well on mine, the brakes are just dragging. Like if I am cruising in 3rd, and pull up on the shifter and hold it (it coasts then) I will stop pretty fast. My Brake lever on the handlebars also won't pull in. Not sure if it's the same problem. I will look at it more today when I go outside.
    406ex - January '13 QOTM

push ur quad inside

Originally posted by red4ever
    push ur quad inside
    I meant when I go out into my garage, it's still freezing
    406ex - January '13 QOTM

Originally posted by 250ex13
    Luckky. Mines been perminitly locked up for a year and a half.
    ok...... first off let me tell you my story..

my 250's rear break lever locked up for about 4 months before i did anything to fix it. Soo I was like "dad i can seem to get this thing to go up or down and i sprayed it with lube till it had a river of lubricant in my lawn". and i told my dad to help me try and get this thing to move. We first got one of the heaviest people we coud find to sit on the lever and jump on it a little not i like catching air so you don't snap it but just put all you weight on it. And after a while its been lubricated and u pushed it down about half way and you thiking i'm nuts bc it'll never come back up, well grab a hydralic lift and have someone watch the quad so it doesnt fall and have someone heavy lean on it so when the lift is moving up it forces the lever to go back up... (this is a 2 ton hydraulic lift) we did this 15 times and we got it freed up ALOT more but u still had to use the lift to make it go back up but it didnt take as mcuh force to make it go up like 100 pound person could lean on it and thats all it took.

so my dad and I said scrwe it and we took it to the shop. after a day they said that the break had SEIZED up withc made the lever not able to go up or down. so we got new break pads. there was rust that by the shaft that caused it to seize up.
    James

(SOLD)2005 yellow 400ex
    PEP clutch lever with moose perch
    pro taper
    baja 8 inch rims
    PB block off
    Powermadd handguards
    Turf Tamers in back
    kenda klaws in front.
    HMF pipe
    Twin Air airfilter
    Hotcam stage 1
    g-force axle
    13t front 40 tooth rear sprocket.
    PEP shocks with big cans

AIM - honda250ex04

"no one is a virgin, life screws us all".

TOOL

im out of this sport

I am talking about the hand lever not the foot lever. I also just replaced the brake shoes in the back about 3 months ago, and everything inside was not rusty at all. I think some snow got in past the seals some how, then when I turned it off the water froze the shoes to the wall that they push on, and thats why I can't move my lever now.
    406ex - January '13 QOTM

I dont know how you guys are having all sort of issues re: braking, in 5 years i've NEVER had my brakes stick on me. And i've ridden through my fair share of water/mud/snow/you name it.

rear brakes: loosen up brake linkage.

front brakes: check the fluid, might be time for a change.
    Respect is earned, never given.

2002 250ex- SOLD.

Creator of the 250EX Performance FAQ. For 250ex headwork and various porting , please email me at flyinryanporting@gmail.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast