Thread: did i buy a time bomb

did i buy a time bomb

from reading on this forum it seems like the cranks on these honda 450's have a shorter life span than a banshee

should i be worried? all my bike has is a slip on and a filter, i keep up with all of my oil changes

i mainly ride trails . with a lil duning and alot of wheelies

i love everything about this bike but do i need to sell this thing and get a suki?

heck no... dont sell it. I've had my 04' since april of 04' and have ridden it almost every day since then. its still got all stock internals except for a hotcam. original piston,rings,crank bearings.. everything. it still runs strong. 450r's are amazing in every aspect to me.
    04' DRG Powered MX TRX450R
    00' Red Mustang GT

I bought my 04 in February of 04 and its still running strong on the stock crank and main bearings.

aug 04
    near 80 hours with slip on and cam
    nearly 30 hours with piston, many many drags, a few dynos.

If you go to trx450r.org in the engine section you can see a list of people that had crank problems. When you get right down to it , you really don't know. Some go after 10 hours, some go after 400 or more. Concidering it's a race bike, if you get 200+ hours on it without breaking it down and doing at least a check, then you're going good. All you can do it put some new bearing in it some time down the road.

It's good that you are doing regular maintanence, something most neglict. If you start seeing metal shaving, then you are having a problem. It can be caught with regular oil changes.

Suzuki hasn't been out long enough to say it doesn't have any problems.
    TRX450R...Pulse Charger, 12.25 HH, HotCam S2, KW valves and springs, P&P, UNI filter, airbox outterwears, Woodward fuel screw, Denton stabilizer,ProArmor K/S, Elka Elite longtravel 17" w/dual linkage, Figair airbrushed hood, Holeshot fronts, Razr II's rears, AC Propeg nerfs, +1 1/2 stem, Armidillo skids.
    And a very well modded 03 warrior, engine, suspension, etc

Bought my 05 in Oct of 04. Installed the HRC kit and cam immediately. Still running like the day I installed it!
    Mark
    Pismo Beach, CA

2005 TRX450R - Red
    HRC Cam & Kit
    ESR Rev Box - Not Installed Yet
    ESR Intake and Filter - (1) - (2) - (3) - (4)
    #7 Clutch Mod
    Dubach Racing - S/A Full System Exhaust - (1) - (2) - (3) - (4)
    13/38 Gearing
    Duncan Racing Bumper - (1) - (2)
    ASV F3 Pro Clutch and Brake Levers - (Both) - (Clutch) - (Brake)
    ESR E-Brake Block-Off
    ESR Throttle & Brake Covers
    TUSK Billet Gas Cap - Black
    Temp Light & Key Relocation

Like allready posted some are good some are bad. Mine on the other hand was well taken care of and had low hrs when I bought it last year at this time. I read the posts about crank problems and decided to tear it down just to be sure. the con rod at the wrist pin was in rough shape and about to let go. I had Fallicon replace the rod with thier Knife rod and ballance the crank, installed a new cylinder and je 11.5 piston stock bore and hot cam stg2. I had verry little use on the quad do to a broken collar bone for five weeks in the middle of the season and it has now let go on me again but this time at the bottom of the con rod. I use bellray thumper on the crank side and synthetic gear oil on the tranie side and change every 2 rides.
    But remember it is a race engine if you want reliable the 400ex is bullet proof. But not near as fast.
    450r
    monster is fo sale

msn
    clutt-225@hotmail.com

^^did you post that at the >ORG?

I'm shocked you had a problem with the wristpin side of the rod. Mine was beautiful and haven't heard much about that problem. Sounds like it gave out once though lol, there was no first time.

I wonder if the install of the falcon is what screwed it up the second time. I'd have to chalk that up to the install, concidering how soon it failed.
    TRX450R...Pulse Charger, 12.25 HH, HotCam S2, KW valves and springs, P&P, UNI filter, airbox outterwears, Woodward fuel screw, Denton stabilizer,ProArmor K/S, Elka Elite longtravel 17" w/dual linkage, Figair airbrushed hood, Holeshot fronts, Razr II's rears, AC Propeg nerfs, +1 1/2 stem, Armidillo skids.
    And a very well modded 03 warrior, engine, suspension, etc

My useful info site: all250r.com

You bought one of the best quads on the market as far as reliability is concerned. Just make sure you change the oil regularly. Also make sure the radiator has plenty of coolant and doesn't get clogged with dirt and mud and you should be fine.

suzukis arent the best in the world either from there starter troubles to their shifter shafts breaking
    Main Goal - Hit the lottery and focus all my time on being a pro racer

Jeremy Jones #88

2004 450r:
    |Fox|Houser|Laker|Lsr|Hiper|Sparks|Rossier|Uni|Pro Design|Oury|Alba|FasstFlex|Percision|Baldwin|
    AiM- Red450rQuadRacer

09 Sponsors: B&J Plumbing and Supply | Houser Racing | Sunline | SunStar Sprokets | No Toil | Tag | Pro Armor | Garner | Twin Air | MotoXnutrition | Four | No Toil | Smx | Twin air