Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: This is why YFZ's have oiling problems

Originally posted by Ride1Rob
    First off, I know what was on my screen. I know the difference between grass and lint. Clutch fibers don't look like grass. I rode in alot of grassy conditions at times and I was running the stock foam filter when I found this. Wen to the K&N and never found grass again.
    After reading this i dont really understand your reasoning behind thinking that pieaces of grass can end up in your oil filter screen after going through your filter.
    So a piece of grass gets past your airfilter? How that happens is a mystery to me, i always check all clamps and hoses prior to riding, but anyways... The piece of grass gets sucked into the carb, and through the valves into the combustion chamber. Your saying that when that happens the piece of grass it gonna make it down past the rings and into the lower end? I dont think so, it will get blown out the exhaust ports probably and never to be seen again, if it wasnt burned up on the combustion stroke. The only way that you can actually get "grass" in your oil is a breather line or the idea that it actually is clutch plate fibers.

just my .02
    KX250F

WTB: Walsh CRF450R, Please PM!

BCS Performance, Saunders Boat Livery & Package Store, Corliss Performance MXchine, MotoOption Clothing, Troy Lee Designs, Performance Engineered Products

Can somebody please explain where this screen is and how easy or hard it is to get at?....i'm new to yfz n i'm only good at chassis work n all that......I'd really appreciate the help!! thanks
    08 MX kfx450 (building stage)

Originally posted by yfzrider45
    Can somebody please explain where this screen is and how easy or hard it is to get at?....i'm new to yfz n i'm only good at chassis work n all that......I'd really appreciate the help!! thanks
    Originally posted by Toadz400
    It's towards the bottom of your oil tank facing towards the engine. Pull that line out and the end of it has that screen on it.
    It's pretty straight forward and easy. The only thing I found difficult was I had to remove the oil tank and the oil line leading into the tank because of how it's positioned. At least I think I did, I remember it being somewhat a PITA but it was a long time ago. It's definitely worth the time to take it out and make sure it's clean. You'll save yourself a lot of time and money in the long run.
    Neal C. Tody - ntadej@hotmail.com
    -2005 SE Yamaha YFZ450 - Pro Design Pro-Flow Intake, Renthal YFZ Bend Handlebars, AC Bumper, AC Nerfs, Holeshot MX 20" fronts and 18" rears, +2 Burgard Standard A-arms, +4 G-Force Axle, front shocks with the DeRisi Racing Pro Millenium Kit valved for MX (Would never recommend to anyone).
    -2000 Banshee - Found. Damn meth heads even destroyed my brand new engine. They've still got my HiPers too, SOB.

If i pull it will oil start flowin out lol, i have a full tank....
    08 MX kfx450 (building stage)

If you are cleaning the screen not all the stuffs on the screen, and you should take the oil tank out and clean it and the oil lines to the motor.
    Note if you do not change the cam chain it will eat the plastic guides that will plug up the screen & oil lines. I have rebuild 16 YFZ 450 motors and the cam chain makes a mess.
    their is a screen in the motor as the pick up tube but you have to spilt the cases, to help clean that screen spray carb cleaner in the drain plug in a upward spray.

Originally posted by yfzrider45
    If i pull it will oil start flowin out lol, i have a full tank....
    You will need to drain your tank. Do this during your next oil change.

Originally posted by ktmbill
    If you are cleaning the screen not all the stuffs on the screen, and you should take the oil tank out and clean it and the oil lines to the motor.
    Note if you do not change the cam chain it will eat the plastic guides that will plug up the screen & oil lines. I have rebuild 16 YFZ 450 motors and the cam chain makes a mess.
    their is a screen in the motor as the pick up tube but you have to spilt the cases, to help clean that screen spray carb cleaner in the drain plug in a upward spray.
    Does this happen after a certain amount of hours or abuse on an engine? I've had my head off several times when messing around with the cam mod (I think I can do it in my sleep now) and I've never noticed any abnormal wear in the plastic guides. I have no idea how many hours I have on my engine but it's quite a few and it's still running strong. Valves are still in spec, never had to shim them!
    -2005 SE Yamaha YFZ450 - Pro Design Pro-Flow Intake, Renthal YFZ Bend Handlebars, AC Bumper, AC Nerfs, Holeshot MX 20" fronts and 18" rears, +2 Burgard Standard A-arms, +4 G-Force Axle, front shocks with the DeRisi Racing Pro Millenium Kit valved for MX (Would never recommend to anyone).
    -2000 Banshee - Found. Damn meth heads even destroyed my brand new engine. They've still got my HiPers too, SOB.

Cam chain guide

here is some pics of bad guide.
    We replace the chain at every rebuild at 20 hrs.
    THe will kink up and you can see it unless you take it out.
    Sorry did not have a bad chain tossed them away.
    All so you can take the mag side cover off and look in your fly wheel and if it has black pieces in it
    Attached Images Attached Images

pic 2

pic 3

Note the guide lips on the sides are gone

That's good to know. If I ever rebuild the YFZ I'll definitely take a look at that and replace the chain and guide. I'm hoping I'll get a long life out of my YFZ as it's given me no trouble yet. *knock on wood*

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast