Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: This is why YFZ's have oiling problems

Originally posted by Ted J
    Where is that located on the quad? I want to check mine but don't know where it's at.

Thanks!
    It's towards the bottom of your oil tank facing towards the engine. Pull that line out and the end of it has that screen on it.

'Builder', what things do the dealers and Honda not check/talk about?
    Neal C. Tody - ntadej@hotmail.com
    -2005 SE Yamaha YFZ450 - Pro Design Pro-Flow Intake, Renthal YFZ Bend Handlebars, AC Bumper, AC Nerfs, Holeshot MX 20" fronts and 18" rears, +2 Burgard Standard A-arms, +4 G-Force Axle, front shocks with the DeRisi Racing Pro Millenium Kit valved for MX (Would never recommend to anyone).
    -2000 Banshee - Found. Damn meth heads even destroyed my brand new engine. They've still got my HiPers too, SOB.

Originally posted by Toadz400
    It's towards the bottom of your oil tank facing towards the engine. Pull that line out and the end of it has that screen on it.
    Sweet, thank you sir!
    Ted J

Brother and I have:

-'06 Blue 700R - Stock for now except for a precision steering stabilizer and Alba Nerfs- Soon to go on: Dr. D Slip-on, Trinity Intake, and Alba fuel controller

-'06 White 700R - CT Racing full pipe, Dobeck, and Pro-Design Pro-Flow Intake with the lid off, precision steering stabilizer and Yamaha Nerfs

Wheelie fun machine soon to be fixed and put up for sale: '98 300EX

This is old news but here is what mine looked like on the 05, i have just bought a 07 that ill be checking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

screen gunk (grass lol)

Ok guys, many of you in your posts have said its grass on the screen. Its clutch fibers, small pieces of the clutch discs that sheer off. Also you are going to have the "gunk" you had after assembly. Its lint off of all the shop rags you use when wiping everything down before assembly. Whatever you do don't remove this screen. It is to protect the oil pump, and why would you want to? There are three parts of the yfz motor that screen oil, one is the screen in question in the tank, the second is in the botttom of the cases and seldomly gets anything on it, and of course the third is the oil filter. No matter how much you change your oil, you will have some metal filings in the engine. They wear during use, its that simple. Change your oil everytime you have a race or long practice and it will significantly extend engine life. Usually the first part affected by neglect is the cylinder heads and they aren't cheap to replace on these quads.
    #921 District 7

not everyone should have to worry about this, dude you must not break your stuff in right because that is not right, i had an 05 ran in a bunch of xc races checked that screen and nothing like that came out, just remember break in easy they will last longer, and change oil and filter after every race, or every other ride, oh ya dont use quaker state, bad stuff

Originally posted by motomanmike
    Ok guys, many of you in your posts have said its grass on the screen. Its clutch fibers, small pieces of the clutch discs that sheer off. Also you are going to have the "gunk" you had after assembly. Its lint off of all the shop rags you use when wiping everything down before assembly. Whatever you do don't remove this screen. It is to protect the oil pump, and why would you want to? There are three parts of the yfz motor that screen oil, one is the screen in question in the tank, the second is in the botttom of the cases and seldomly gets anything on it, and of course the third is the oil filter. No matter how much you change your oil, you will have some metal filings in the engine. They wear during use, its that simple. Change your oil everytime you have a race or long practice and it will significantly extend engine life. Usually the first part affected by neglect is the cylinder heads and they aren't cheap to replace on these quads.

First off, I know what was on my screen. I know the difference between grass and lint. Clutch fibers don't look like grass. I rode in alot of grassy conditions at times and I was running the stock foam filter when I found this. Wen to the K&N and never found grass again.

Originally posted by Piker450
    not everyone should have to worry about this, dude you must not break your stuff in right because that is not right, i had an 05 ran in a bunch of xc races checked that screen and nothing like that came out, just remember break in easy they will last longer, and change oil and filter after every race, or every other ride, oh ya dont use quaker state, bad stuff
    As far as breaking in my bike right. I got 2 1/2 years off of my motor when it was stock and almost 500hrs before the piston finally cracked. The gunk you see (As stated in my post) was after a rebuild. Loctite and sealant in between the cases. And as far as breaking it in easy (LOL). I've seen guys pamper their bikes for weeks and have the motor go in less than a year. I'm currently almost a year on a race motor with a breakin of about 20mins of heat cycling and then riding it like I stole it
    If it'll run... I'm ridin'!!!

http://home.earthlink.net/~hotscott03/

Sons:
    Jhamir "JAM" Scott #320
    KX85

Sponsors:
    Firepower Minis Motors
    Pirelli
    Artistic Apparel
    Smith Optics
    Athena
    DeCal Works
    PitPosse
    AGV Helmets
    Signs A Rama (Lakeland)
    ASV Inventions
    Dirtyfoot Adventures
    O'Neal USA
    TwinAir
    OneNation Extreme
    R1R Performance
    C4 Suspension

I learnes this the hard way. 10 minutes after a rebuild and...

After pulling it all back apart, I find no oil is returning to the motor from the oil tank. I pulled the oil line and found that screen to be completely clogged.

Originally posted by speedfreaksguy
    I learnes this the hard way. 10 minutes after a rebuild and...

After pulling it all back apart, I find no oil is returning to the motor from the oil tank. I pulled the oil line and found that screen to be completely clogged.
    Dude, that sucks! I just freshened up the top end on my YFZ after replacing the head gasket and before putting oil in it and firing it up for the first time I checked that screen. I got lucky and there wasn't much on it but I'm glad I checked it now.

Thanks to the people on the forum here for pointing that out!
    Ted J

Brother and I have:

-'06 Blue 700R - Stock for now except for a precision steering stabilizer and Alba Nerfs- Soon to go on: Dr. D Slip-on, Trinity Intake, and Alba fuel controller

-'06 White 700R - CT Racing full pipe, Dobeck, and Pro-Design Pro-Flow Intake with the lid off, precision steering stabilizer and Yamaha Nerfs

Hey speedfreaksguy, did the middle intake valve touch the piston? It looks like it maybe did.
    Ted J

Brother and I have:

i finally checked mine today... i've had my bike 14 months, probably have a good 40 days worth of dune riding on it, not to mention what i've doen around the phoenix desert and motorcross tracks and what not...

it wasnt bad at all... there were a couple metal shavings, but hardly any and other than that it looked great...

im glad i checked though, and i would reccomend it, as if it is clogged the damages will be major...
    06 YFZ450
    1988 TRX 250R
    2001 XR 50
    1984 Honda 200S
    1776 Turbo Sandrail

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast