Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: This is why YFZ's have oiling problems

Originally posted by xrxmxcx
    After reading this i dont really understand your reasoning behind thinking that pieaces of grass can end up in your oil filter screen after going through your filter.
    So a piece of grass gets past your airfilter? How that happens is a mystery to me, i always check all clamps and hoses prior to riding, but anyways... The piece of grass gets sucked into the carb, and through the valves into the combustion chamber. Your saying that when that happens the piece of grass it gonna make it down past the rings and into the lower end? I dont think so, it will get blown out the exhaust ports probably and never to be seen again, if it wasnt burned up on the combustion stroke. The only way that you can actually get "grass" in your oil is a breather line or the idea that it actually is clutch plate fibers.

just my .02
    Maybe you're correct on the way it got in, but it was on my oil screen. On more than one occasion I found grass clippings in my stock filter as it was needling through the filter. That's why I figured it got in through there.

I also never figured out why they didn't make this a sticky . There are many that didn't know about the screen until they saw this thread. Hell, there are dealerships mechanics that don't know about this screen. Definitely good preventative maintnance.
    If it'll run... I'm ridin'!!!

http://home.earthlink.net/~hotscott03/

Sons:
    Jhamir "JAM" Scott #320
    KX85

Sponsors:
    Firepower Minis Motors
    Pirelli
    Artistic Apparel
    Smith Optics
    Athena
    DeCal Works
    PitPosse
    AGV Helmets
    Signs A Rama (Lakeland)
    ASV Inventions
    Dirtyfoot Adventures
    O'Neal USA
    TwinAir
    OneNation Extreme
    R1R Performance
    C4 Suspension

Yes the screen on the line from the oil tank can get clogged with stuff heres a pic of what mine looked like awhile ago.

Houser Framed Honda CRF450 Hybrid
    Everything houser, Everything custom axis, or walsh, Titanium TC exhaust, etc etc

Thumbs up

Where any of these issues corrected in the newer models? I just bought a 08 and am pretty curious about it. More so the cam guide and chain than anything. Cleaning that screen seems like an easy job.

Good thread!
    08 YFZ450- Pro- Amor Skid Plates/Nerfs, AC Bumper, Maxxis Razr II's, Cam Mod, Spark Arrestor Removed, Boyesen Quickshot plate, Uni Filter.
    96 Arctic Cat EXT580
    http://www.youtube.com/user/RPDXC

It's not hard. It's just a b!tch trying to get to it (lol).
    If it'll run... I'm ridin'!!!

http://home.earthlink.net/~hotscott03/

Sons:
    Jhamir "JAM" Scott #320
    KX85

Sponsors:
    Firepower Minis Motors
    Pirelli
    Artistic Apparel
    Smith Optics
    Athena
    DeCal Works
    PitPosse
    AGV Helmets
    Signs A Rama (Lakeland)
    ASV Inventions
    Dirtyfoot Adventures
    O'Neal USA
    TwinAir
    OneNation Extreme
    R1R Performance
    C4 Suspension

Someone should post some pics of where exactly the oil line screen is. Maybe?
    -2006 yfz 450 Elka/Wicked/GTT/Kenda/Yoshimura
    -03 blaster- In the last 4 years of owning it has ran good for about a week.

Wanna ride and live in MN. PM me.

i dont have a pic right now but i can. the line that goes to the bottom of the oil tank is the one with the screen. you will need to stand the quad on its @$$ and take the line out of the tank. thats the easiest way to get to it besides taking off the tank.

so is it easier to take off the line from were it hooks up to the cases or where it hooks up to the oil tank?
    -2006 yfz 450 Elka/Wicked/GTT/Kenda/Yoshimura
    -03 blaster- In the last 4 years of owning it has ran good for about a week.

Wanna ride and live in MN. PM me.

If there is a measureable amount of stuff on that screen, be worried. Under normal wear you will get a piece here and there but normal is not to have the screen covered. If my screen is covered like that (never has) my motor is coming out and the cases are getting split. Pulling the screen is a good idea and it will improve oil flow but the real issue is seing what and how much is on there.

so is it easier to take off the line from were it hooks up to the cases or where it hooks up to the oil tank?

oil tank, you dont need to take it off the motor.

I have had my YFZ450 from sept 06 and I have never looked at this screen. I change my oil/oil filter every 10 hours and I clean my UNI after 2 rides. I just did an oil change so Iam gonna wait till I do another oil change to it. I have about 70-75 hours on my quad give or take some. So what do I clean the screen with. Thanks
    06YFZ450SE

CT3 MOTORSPORTS
    www.virginiakrawlers.com
    Jimmy Hare #83
    MODS
    Cam Mod,Dr.D Exhaust,Jetted,Ncvq Needle,RedLine Fuel Screw,Power Now,Power Now Plus,Boyesen Acclerator Pump Cover,Lid Off,Pro DeSign Pro Flow K&N System,E Brake Block Off Plate,X Factor Monster Pro Peg Nerf Bars,Pro Armer Bullhorn Bumber,Dr.D Hour Meter,MSR Handle Bars,ProDesign Kill Switch With Pro Armer Mounting Kit,Armadillo A-Arm Guards,Armadillo Full Chassis Skid,15 Front Sprocket.Pro Armer Race Grab Bar.Maier Carbon Fiber Hood.18"Kenda Claw MX,20x6x10 ITP QuadCross.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast