Thread: What motor

What motor

Well I have 3grand to spend on something, and I want to put a different motor into my 300ex. I dont want to hear people telling me to just buy a 450, I dont want to spend that kind of money and I think it would be a fun project. I was thinking either a 85 motor or a 125. Would a 85 motor be more powerful then the 300? I know it would hit harder. Also about the motor mounts, thats really the only thing I would have to do, that and the radiator mounting. Also what gearing are people running with an 85 motor or a 125 in a quad. Thanks

just save your money or build up the 300ex

i'd suggest buy a bigger quad but you said you don't want that an 85 motor i don't think would have much more power then your 300 and i am not sure about the 125 i'd suggest a 4 stroke motor possibly a 400ex motor but if you have your heart set on 2 stroke i'd go with a 250 should be an easy build just have to make motor mounts and rad mounts then probably a different intake

The 85 motor is sosposed to feel like a blaster but you have to rev it more.

I would get a yz400 motor. You can pick them up for $800. A 300ex has a big air cooled 4 stroke motor in it so it will fit almost any motor in it. B4 the 400ex was made some one took a 300ex and threw a xr400 motor in it and thats how honda came up with the idea of the 400ex.

But if you have $3000 to spend you could just sell the ex for around $1000 and have $4000 total and pick up a used 450 or even a race ready 400ex for that price.

for 2 stroke i would get a 250cc or a cr500 motor

Put in a Cr250f or the Yz250f motor...

350X motor and build up the suspension. Its a much faster motor, yet wont overpower the 300ex chassis. Also its been done many times before so you can get info from others.
    2009 CRF250R

R.I.P. Kelly "Steelrod" Chang, Todd Vescovi, Matt Barosek, & Jeremy Lusk, You'll Never be Forgotten!

Originally posted by stocktires
    350X motor and build up the suspension. Its a much faster motor, yet wont overpower the 300ex chassis. Also its been done many times before so you can get info from others.
    I agree those motors rip, not far off from a 400ex powerwise. And you should be able to find one fairly cheap...although they are somewhat rare. That would be your best bet for a motor for a 300, should fit right in and have large power gains...
    '06 LTR 450R MX

What is your age? I would not go with the 125cc motor the motor of choice is cr80. And yes they are fast and fun,and it would be faster than a blaster ,300ex if built right. cr80 motor stock is about 18hp. You have to be on the pipe alot with this motor no bottom end. I have one and it was a fun project more than just motor mounts and radiator. You'll need a new rear sprocket for a 428 chain,mod the pipe to fit,clutch cable,mod the kick starter. Use the swingarm bolt through the motor. Some people just move the motor forward and weld mounts not a good choice. There is alot of little things to do nothing major.