Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: engineering breakthrough?

Originally posted by 450robot
    yah, i see what you mean by stress, i dont see what or how a lube source could apply to that design.
    go back and watch his demo again. he said that the bio fuel IS the lube. no more changing oil because there isn't any.
    '05 ltz440
    Pro Circuit T-4 w/ headpipe, procom cdi, DRZE kit, Wiseco 440, pro design pro flow, hotcams(intake/exhuast), AC Blackline propeg/heelguard nerfs, AC Blackline bumper, lonestar +4, Fullflight +2+1 a arms, Duncan Racing graphics,
    coming soon** fcr carb

Originally posted by rockman
    go back and watch his demo again. he said that the bio fuel IS the lube. no more changing oil because there isn't any.
    Exactly, just like in a two stroke motor. Now, this motor is producing high torque at low rpms. Doesn't sound too good for your passenger car, but with the right reductions, it could make a excellent semi motor. And for solid waste pumps, generators, air compressors, welders, etc this could be a great design. All it will take is one mfg to take a chance on it and everyone else will follow suit if it performs well. No one wants to be the guinea pig.
    I'm a hundred miles away son...ready to strike!

Originally posted by A A R O N
    Maybe, but even though that thing is putting out that much power in such a small package, it is very evenly distributed. With the donut style chamber, it seems to me like there wouldn't be as much stress as a HUUUUGE displacement motor with few power strokes and large displacements per piston/cylinder. With the design the way it is I think the only massive problem is heat, but as small as that motor is, what's the big deal. They can just make it twice the size to allow for significant cooling options and they'll still be so far under the size of the older motors that make the same amount of power. As far as reliability of parts, as simple as that motor is, maybe we would have schedule rebuilds instead of scheduled maintainence I bet that motor could be rebuilt in a matter of an hour or so....so.....if it needed to be done once every couple years, maybe it would still be more practical since you'd be getting over 150 mpg on 100% bio fuel. Besides, He said they already logged 1000 hours with a motor of that design in a ford focus...i think if a prototype can pull it off, they should be able to beef up the reliability concerns and cooling abilities and potentially make it a reality for normal cars.
    I think it has great potential when the reliability has proven itself to the point of being a possibility and cooling concerns have been resolved either by testing or by design changes.
    Now, if I can find a stock in the company, maybe I can make a quick few thousand
    This and all the last few posts are very well said....

Even IF the engine put out half the claimed power/torque and weighed twice as much, if they could tame/harness it, it would be a superior engine to what we have now.!

BUT, I could see this ending up at the bottom of a lake because of the economic hit on manufactures and the oil industries.
    01' 416EX, 10.8:1 w/ Hot Cams stageII, LSR E-brake block off, nerf bars, renthal bars, k&n power up kit, full pro-circuit exhaust. Works triple rates w/rezzies, wild skinz shock covers, removed choke, 42 pilot, 165 main.

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SSEI
    1996 Chevy Silverado Z71....
    1986 Oldsmobile 442 Nice street car, mildly built small block.
    1964 Oldsmobile Starfire
    1999 KX 250
    2003 TTR 90 (pit bike)
    2002 PW 50 daughter's bike
    1984 HD Shovelhead, yes it shakes like a b****, and marks it's spot with oil everywhere we go!

Sold, but not forgotten...1987 250R. 1200 Harley Sportster Custom

if you check out the forums on the website for this guy. You'll find everyone there has basically called their bluff. In fact don't quote me on this but i think i read in there where someone said the guy cashed in all the stocks and bought a yacht and is nowhere to be found. who knows, i did find a different company Rotoblock that were actually able to make a very similar engine run off of fuel. check it out
    '05 ltz440
    Pro Circuit T-4 w/ headpipe, procom cdi, DRZE kit, Wiseco 440, pro design pro flow, hotcams(intake/exhuast), AC Blackline propeg/heelguard nerfs, AC Blackline bumper, lonestar +4, Fullflight +2+1 a arms, Duncan Racing graphics,
    coming soon** fcr carb

Marysville, OH Northern Cambria, PA (hometown)
    i'll take the video to a few of my professors tomorrow or next week and see what they have to say about it... they do alot of motor designs and stuff like that here at penn state!
    2009 Cbr600RR Phoenix

WE ARE PENN STATE!!!!!!

That's a pretty busy crankshaft, I can see that thing having reliability issues. It has to keep two sets of pistons moving at different speeds against each other.

And, like Mofo said, that's a lot of heat. All the combustion happens at the EXACT SAME PLACE, and it happens four times as often as an ordinary engine.

Can you imagine the complications of boring and honing? It's one thing to hone a straight cylinder, but honing a complete circle? Not only that, the cylinder is split into a left and right side, so you have to MATCH the walls when you bore and hone, and you also have to seal the split against combustion.
    Duncan Racing 340PV, +2 A-arms, +4 LSR axle, and a host of other goodies.

i dont think many people are going to be boring and honing this motor...how often do people even hone out a car motor?? almost never...but the motor is amazing!

I dont think it will ever be on the market for a couple of reasons....first off is rotary motors are already an improvment over your typical 4 stroke motor, everyone knows that, but yet 99% of the cars out there still have 4 stroke motors...rotarys have been around for a long long time and if they havnt caught on now, why would a more advanced motor catch on??

Another thing is the car companys, oil companys witch is basically our government wont allow it to happen....150 mpg...it wont ever happen....the country of Iceland already has their mass transportation system runing off hydrogen, why isnt it happening here??America isnt even trying like Iceland is...They dont want it to happen...i honestly beleive that the motors we buy and cars we buy are just built to faile and every year they get worse and worse...i dont beleive ill ever by a new car...Every new car that comes out there is more plastic and less metal...cheaper an cheaper to build= more profit for them

Bush's family owns oil companys. as do alot of people in our government, they dont want America run off hydrogen...i laugh when peopl say buch is trying to find and alternative to oil...he owns oil...and i dont see america changing their ways anytime soon....sure a hybrid might get 40 or 50 mpg but bottomline is that things wont change in this nation for a long time..so we migth as well get used to buying 2-4 dollars per gallon and plan our budgte around it

Originally posted by Honda86
    Bush's family owns oil companys. as do alot of people in our government, they dont want America run off hydrogen...i laugh when peopl say buch is trying to find and alternative to oil...he owns oil...and i dont see america changing their ways anytime soon....sure a hybrid might get 40 or 50 mpg but bottomline is that things wont change in this nation for a long time..so we migth as well get used to buying 2-4 dollars per gallon and plan our budgte around it
    Who says that these "oil" companies wouldn't invest in hydrogen, or alternate fuel technologies? I'm sure they'd be glad to take that money too, and not have to depend on the middle east as a supplier. More money for them. I'm sure they'd jsut keep the cost of the fuel, no matter what the fuel at around $0.08-$0.10 / mile.
    Brandon -O||||O-
    1998 Honda TRX300EX (330)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234