ASV C5 unbrakeable clutch lever
    Maier vented hood
    PE brake block off
    Pro Armor tether switch
    CRF push button kill switch
    AC nerf bars
    GT Thunder revaled suspension

Originally posted by TheFontMaster
    I can pretty much say right now, I don't think that motor will be reliable at all. Do the math, 4000 foot pounds of torque in something that small. The internal parts, will be just too small to take the stress that, that motor will be making.

Brilliant idea, it's just one of those things that will be too good to be true, and if they can build it to be reliable it will be massivley de-tunned, and expensive as hell.
    that is what I was going to say look at the out put shaft (because that is all you can see) even at a 1000 foot pounds that shaft would slap.

and see in the animation the compression piston speeds up and slows down you are going to loose all your power making that happen just like any other engine .
    that thing would get hot!!!
    RIDE RED!!
    2004 TRX450r

i think it has great potential. it is kinda like the rotary but completely different at the same time and look how potent the rotary is. small motors putting out serious power.

i am sure there are ways to detune this concept to make it more practical for onroad usage.

i would like to see something revolutionize the motor. it has been 100 years since something MAJOR has changed.
    2011 Sponsors

FLY Racing
    BK Performance
    Condons Auto Parts

I would like to look at it with much optimism. Think about how far the standard combustion engine has come through extensive engineering. This engine is just a starting point, think of all development that will be poured into it.

There were so many nay-sayers with the engine that was essentially developed 100 years ago, and look how far it has come now. I would like to see the same with this engine, but with only much quicker advancement!!!!

Great job to this guy!
    01' 416EX, 10.8:1 w/ Hot Cams stageII, LSR E-brake block off, nerf bars, renthal bars, k&n power up kit, full pro-circuit exhaust. Works triple rates w/rezzies, wild skinz shock covers, removed choke, 42 pilot, 165 main.

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SSEI
    1996 Chevy Silverado Z71....
    1986 Oldsmobile 442 Nice street car, mildly built small block.
    1964 Oldsmobile Starfire
    1999 KX 250
    2003 TTR 90 (pit bike)
    2002 PW 50 daughter's bike
    1984 HD Shovelhead, yes it shakes like a b****, and marks it's spot with oil everywhere we go!

Sold, but not forgotten...1987 250R. 1200 Harley Sportster Custom

^^^^ exactly.

The fist engines that were produced 100+ years ago were't reliable and got hot, yet with engineer the problems were solved.

I only hope it doens't take so long to figure that one out.

Listen guys, the guy spent something like 5 million dollars over 5 years alongside 10 engineers.

Im sure they thought of the problems some random joe schmoes are comin up with on an internet forum.

Sure, it may have flaws, but you should never even consider saying something negative about this because the design is amazing enough itself.

I saw more positive things said in a carved pumpkin thread

It's like a 2 stroke rotary engine. I think it has great potential. I'd like to see how he plans to incorporate spark plugs.
    I'm a hundred miles away son...ready to strike!

Originally posted by Ralph
    Listen guys, the guy spent something like 5 million dollars over 5 years alongside 10 engineers.

Im sure they thought of the problems some random joe schmoes are comin up with on an internet forum.

Sure, it may have flaws, but you should never even consider saying something negative about this because the design is amazing enough itself.

I saw more positive things said in a carved pumpkin thread
    Please don't confuse my comments as degrading this guys idea... This is a discussion forum and I was hoping to stimulate some interesting points - rather than the standard "oohhhhh.... wow..... neat.....thats cool....etc" response.

There are legitimate "issues" that need to be resolved and have not been answered - even on his own forum.

Overall I think its a great idea and hope it does prove to be successful. As everyone has stated, the 100 year old engine needs a major update - and this appears to be a possible solution.
    Eric

- '00 400EX
    ...with some stuff.

As far as I see it this design as well as the quasiturbine have great potential. As far as parts breaking and such, I am sure the guys who designed these ideas are fully aware of the limitations of the designs and potential problems involved in making them reliable engines. Are there going to be problems? Quick answer is YES!!! But as far as I know there are still problems with piston engines of today as well, and well they have been around for 100 years. These designs show that there are other ideas and theories that can be made, and could be a positive impact in the future. I do not forsee these designs coming in your Ford F150 in the near future, but at least someone is trying to make a difference. There are some other ideas out there with spherical valves that is interesting reading as well. http://www.coatesengine.com/technology.html These guys have taken a different appoach. At this point we are seeing the limitations in piston engines. There hasn't been a true breakthough in the piston engine in years. It is a hundred year old base design. Overhead cams, direct port injection, and better materials for higher compresion are obvious improvements, but they all have hit there basic limitations as well. Right now the only way the big manufactures have tried to improve fuel economy in big ways is like GM's active managemant system which shuts the fuel off to certain cylinders. If we are to break our country's dependancy on foreign oil we need ideas like these.
    05 TRX450R
    JD Performance +2 a-arms
    LSR +3 axle
    Douglas Ultimate Beadlocks
    Maxxis Razr MX front and rear tires
    R.A.D axle locknut
    40MM FCR carb with Noss Adapter
    Hotcams Stage 2 cam
    Sparks Racing filter kit
    Free HRC kit mods
    SRP fuel screw
    Dr D. Race slip-on
    Trail Tech bar mounts
    Renthal Twinwall Bars
    Works Connection alum. throttle tube
    ASV C5 unbrakeable clutch lever
    Maier vented hood
    PE brake block off
    Pro Armor tether switch
    CRF push button kill switch
    AC nerf bars
    GT Thunder revaled suspension

Originally posted by TheFontMaster
    I can pretty much say right now, I don't think that motor will be reliable at all. Do the math, 4000 foot pounds of torque in something that small. The internal parts, will be just too small to take the stress that, that motor will be making.

Brilliant idea, it's just one of those things that will be too good to be true, and if they can build it to be reliable it will be massivley de-tunned, and expensive as hell.

Maybe, but even though that thing is putting out that much power in such a small package, it is very evenly distributed. With the donut style chamber, it seems to me like there wouldn't be as much stress as a HUUUUGE displacement motor with few power strokes and large displacements per piston/cylinder. With the design the way it is I think the only massive problem is heat, but as small as that motor is, what's the big deal. They can just make it twice the size to allow for significant cooling options and they'll still be so far under the size of the older motors that make the same amount of power. As far as reliability of parts, as simple as that motor is, maybe we would have schedule rebuilds instead of scheduled maintainence I bet that motor could be rebuilt in a matter of an hour or so....so.....if it needed to be done once every couple years, maybe it would still be more practical since you'd be getting over 150 mpg on 100% bio fuel. Besides, He said they already logged 1000 hours with a motor of that design in a ford focus...i think if a prototype can pull it off, they should be able to beef up the reliability concerns and cooling abilities and potentially make it a reality for normal cars.
    I think it has great potential when the reliability has proven itself to the point of being a possibility and cooling concerns have been resolved either by testing or by design changes.
    Now, if I can find a stock in the company, maybe I can make a quick few thousand
    3 race quads, one skirtbike, and a handful of bicycles...

ride 'em
    race 'em
    fix 'em
    repeat

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast