Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CRF450 in Z-Frame?

CRF450 in Z-Frame?

Ok, I know that a TRX250-Frame is the best one for this job. I also find here a lot of 400ex conversions.

I just want to know if the CRF engine fits into the LTZ frame?

Will there be enough space for the kick start unit to push it down?

Will all fit where the swingarm, the frame and the enginge come together and things like that?

i would think the Z conversion would be easier then the ex because the Z already has a liquid cooled motor but not really sure

I dont know nothing about the z frame,only that they crack like a son of a gun,You will definately have to gusset the hell out of it....
    LSR/CRF450
    JB ex w/yz450dirtbike motor
    Thats right "hybrids the only way to go....They go BRAAAAAAAPPP..

Don't see why it wouldnt work, the Z motor is bigger then the 400ex and its already setup for a radiatior. The geometry is very similar to the ex, so you would have to do some customizing but the motor SHOULD fit....
    '06 LTR 450R MX

Do you know if there is something different between a CRF450 engine years 04 or 05?

Is the 05 better than the 04?

people were complaining about the valves on one of the years. im not sure though...but with proper maintenence and care you should be fine with any year. the reason people dont do rmz motors in the Z frame is because the kickstart wont clear. so imagine youd run into the same problem with any 450. but with proper <--, yes PROPER modifications (not hacking but a clean job with good welds and doing your neccesary hw) you should be ok.

@yellowzo3

What do you mean with "the kickstart wonīt clear"?

Is the rail of the frame right in front of the kickstart? Thatīs the worst case

Or can the problem be solved by using a kickstart extension like this guy did? (next picture)

Maybe I have to remove the heelguard and cut the rear fender a little bit?

yes i think the frame is in the way...i dont think a kickstart extension would work because the frame is in the way of where the kickstart would have to come through...but im not positive so i could be wrong. hopefully i am wrong because i would also like to put a 450 motor in a Z frame.

Bad news, if this is really true. You could be right, cause the marked rail of the Z-frame in the picture above is not in that vertical position than that of the 400ex chassis.
    I have to know it 100% before I buy a complete CRF dirtbike. Unfortunately I donīt know anyone who can lend me a CRF engine in order to try if the kickstart will fit.

So please, if someone knows it - write me!!!

Ok, I canīt accept that the rail of the frame ist just in front of the kickstart and that putting a CRF engine into a Z-frame ist unpossible.

Iīm not a good painter, but could the problem be solved like this ... (picture). What do you think?

I try to cut out a small piece of the rail and weld in a small piece of a pipe so that the kickstart lever would fit through this pipe?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast