Thread: New mods for the rhino!

New mods for the rhino!

Well the rhino is starting to come along nicely i've bought a few doodads for it this week- Including a bolt on rollcage that covers the bed. This will be mainly for storage so i can hang chains and ropes from the sides and even put a roof rack on the top. I bought a 5-point harness system for the seats, PIAA lights, a front bumper and 4,000 lb winch, and i think i'm going to order a stereo mount today!

But i need to get some performance into the motor, all of these add-ons and the bigger tires really take a toll on the powertrain.

I've already ordered the snorkel kit and a K&N. I'm still going to buy an exhaust and a clutch kit, but i'm unsure of the brand to choose.

Back in my sport quad days the only company i even considered was HMF simply for the performance and the value. However, i've heard Alba Action has been doing some serious R&D with the rhino (even going as far as developing a turbo, a manual transmission, and a fuel injection system for the 650!) and i've heard their full system is tops. I've also heard good things about the LTE dual system. Anyone have experience with these brands?

I know the Black Rhino CDI is junk, but has anyone used the Alba?

And what should i look for in a clutch kit? I've been into sport quads up until this point, so i don't know much about them and what the reputable brands are. I would assume that high lifter would be a good place to start.

Also, are gorilla axles worth the price? I busted the right front CV shaft but bullied the dealership into covering it under warranty (haha after these mods, i know the warranty will be voided but it only really has a couple more months of use and i ride with the yamaha dealership owner's son, so he has seen what kind of hell i put this thing through). I think if i bust anymore CV axles i'm going to break down and call Gorilla unless someone can convince my otherwise.

Thanks for the help!

I would go with a Scary FASt CDI and exhaulst. I guess you can get about 55MPH out of them.

If you really want some speed check this out

www.mountainperformance.com

Also here is the thread I made asking bout it.

supercharge thread

Also here is a good forums site.

www.sidexsideaction.com then click on forums.
    V-Twin King Quad

Supercharge pics
    Attached Images Attached Images
    V-Twin King Quad

Another
    Attached Images Attached Images
    V-Twin King Quad

for the cost of a rhino and that supercharger you cold build a dune buggy with a SB chevy

But if you are a rhino fan you would love to have one like this
    V-Twin King Quad

Alba sure has good products, but they are way overpriced. $196 for a re-machined stock cam plus core charge, you can buy one outright for less. $187 to modify your stock Carburetor, you can buy a better one for a few dollars more.
    Unless your running large oversized tires, clutch kits will do more harm than good in most cases.
    Don't mean to be a jerk, new guy & all. Just been doing the Rhino thing for a while now with an industrial dose of experience beforehand. No desire to see you waste your $$$.
    Gorilla's break as often as stockers or even more.
    If you want more power, a better piston, cam & springs will make a huge difference. I used 10.5/1 piston to run good on pump gas with a Hotcams Mudbuster grind camshaft. You need to replace at least the center intake valve spring but I replaced all 5 on mine. If you get a CDI with no rev-limiter like Hunterworks you can get some valve float at upper RPM's with stock springs. Don't get your sheave machined, just buy the stock Grizzly sheave for better results. These changes with a 165 main jet (up from 145 stock) will put a big smile on your face.
    The BRP & Rhinocraft CDI's are made by the same company. Oh yeah I had great luck with my Pro-Circut exhaust.

Good luck!
    Built 06 Rhino 660 SE.

grizzly sheave?

what exacty is the sheave? my dad has a rhino and i see sheaves for that but when i type in grizzly it talks about front clutch,drive clutch etc.i think this would be a good mod for him but i want to get thr correct part. thanks
    07 trx450er, 01 blaster,04 440ex , 1985 atc 125m with DG exhaust (the race bike!) new quad -polaris 330 trail boss

Lightbulb Re: grizzly sheave?

Originally posted by 69zandar
    what exacty is the sheave? my dad has a rhino and i see sheaves for that but when i type in grizzly it talks about front clutch,drive clutch etc.i think this would be a good mod for him but i want to get thr correct part. thanks
    A "sheave" is simply one half of a pulley. In this case The sliding sheave from the Grizzly is machined differently to allow the the two sheaves to squeeze the drive belt more at higher RPM's which gives a higher ratio. The sheave and CDI box limiters are how Yamaha kept the Rhino's top speed in check.
    If you have any year 660 Rhino you need part number 5KM-17620-00-00 PRIMARY SLIDING SHEAVE COMPLETE and get a tub of Ultramatic Grease while you are there as you will need it.

So in simple terms your just replacing one half of the the primary drive pulley.
    Built 06 Rhino 660 SE.

Great info. Thanks alot!!!
    07 trx450er, 01 blaster,04 440ex , 1985 atc 125m with DG exhaust (the race bike!) new quad -polaris 330 trail boss