Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spark Plug Removal Tip

Spark Plug Removal Tip

I recently bought a used 400EX with no tools. Could not find a Craftsman or Snap-On socket that would fit down on plug for removal. Finally found a metric, long socket set at Wal-Mart that had a 18mm socket with thin walls. Fits perfectly. The whole set of Taiwain sockets was about $10, cheaper than a stock wrench and included more trail sockets for the old tool box.

Also, use a piece of old rubber gas hose that can be fitted over the plug to ease screwing the plug in and out while it is loose.

Talking Thanks

Thanks for the tip on that plug wrench> Our stock wrench is junk.:square

with all the Honda engineering that stock wrench really sucks so thanks for the tip Im off to wall mart
    2001 440 yellow/Stage 2 hotcam/ 11:1 JE piston/Houser+2 a-arms/Dura blue eliminator+4/Maxxis or holeshot MX on 195 douglas race rims/aluminum airbox/ac propegs/ac bumper/braided brake lines/works triple rate with acr/pep steering damper/white bros e-series slip on/omf scoops/kn filter/dyna jet 170 main 45 pilot/needle on notch 4/outer wares airbox cover/custom aluminum airbox/renthal bars/acerbis guards/lsr block off/lsr bearing carrier NOW ALL THAT IS STOLEN!!!!!!!!so I am Starting Over with 2005 YFZ 450

The stock wrench rocks!!!! *gets it out of his toolbox*

Lets see now I put it on like this???? is it this end or the other... wheres that little torque wrench thing... damnit now the plastic is in the way..I can't turn the bar.....

Ok ok..whats the part number at Wal-Mart...
    Deathbringer
    (The Corporation)

2002 Yellow 400ex
    Armadillo Chrome Bumper
    WB E-series pipe
    WB Rev box
    Dyno Jet kit
    K&N filtering/moded airbox
    Chromed headers
    Lots of bling bling

this might sound like a stupid question, but do you have to take the gas tank off to change the plug. j/w haven't changed mine yet.

No you don't. You just need to get a short plug(socket) wrench and everything is fine. Don't try to use the one they give you.
    Deathbringer
    (The Corporation)

2002 Yellow 400ex
    Armadillo Chrome Bumper
    WB E-series pipe
    WB Rev box
    Dyno Jet kit
    Chromed headers
    Lots of bling bling

you can find the craftsman ones that will work, the key is to buy an 18mm SPARK PLUG SOCKET not just a normal socket. I bought a craftsman 18mm SPARK PLUG SOCKET and it works like a charm. For those that do not know the difference, a spark plug socket will have a rubber piece on the inside (this is to grab the spark plug and pull it out as you pull the socket out.) and will have a hex shape at the wrench end. It will most likely say spark plug socket on it as well. The only problem with the thin walled walmart sockets are that if you use them for anything that has real torque on it you will bust the sockets.... for the spark plug it shouldnt be a problem because it shouldnt be that tight.

"plug socket will have a rubber piece on the inside "

Good point.
    Deathbringer
    (The Corporation)

2002 Yellow 400ex
    Armadillo Chrome Bumper
    WB E-series pipe
    WB Rev box
    Dyno Jet kit
    Chromed headers
    Lots of bling bling

Originally posted by redexrider
    you can find the craftsman ones that will work, the key is to buy an 18mm SPARK PLUG SOCKET not just a normal socket. I bought a craftsman 18mm SPARK PLUG SOCKET and it works like a charm. For those that do not know the difference, a spark plug socket will have a rubber piece on the inside (this is to grab the spark plug and pull it out as you pull the socket out.) and will have a hex shape at the wrench end. It will most likely say spark plug socket on it as well. The only problem with the thin walled walmart sockets are that if you use them for anything that has real torque on it you will bust the sockets.... for the spark plug it shouldnt be a problem because it shouldnt be that tight.
    The 'normal' 18mm deep well Craftsman socket I have works just fine. It is part of a set I bought about 20 years ago though....
    ATVRiders Janitorial Technician

!!!!!DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!!!!

yeah 20 yrs ago will do that...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast