Thread: 03 Pred Tranny **** up

Unhappy 03 Pred Tranny **** up

Ok so buddy at work has a 03 pred and he says that the tranny is stuck in 3rd gear. Said that the tranny needs to be rebuilt with new"updated" shift forks. DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT
    Trannys ? Shift forks? or anything else I should be worried about when buying this pred for 2000$ CAD Oh and im going to attempt to rebuild it my self
    Riding the highway to hell
    It isnt easy being the devils right hand man.
    Ride hard, Bail even harder

Re: 03 Pred Tranny **** up

Originally posted by bluntmang
    Ok so buddy at work has a 03 pred and he says that the tranny is stuck in 3rd gear. Said that the tranny needs to be rebuilt with new"updated" shift forks. DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT
    Trannys ? Shift forks? or anything else I should be worried about when buying this pred for 2000$ CAD Oh and im going to attempt to rebuild it my self
    Transmission failure is very common on 03 predators. What happens are the shift forks on the 03 preds are weak. So when your buddy was slamming gears, he was bending shift forks. Once that happens, the gears total engagement percentage decreases. Eventually, this will result in gear failure or dog ear failure. In any event, a complete tranny rebuild is in order and, unless, you are extremely knowledgeable in predator rebuilds or, atv mechanics altogether (judging by your confusion). I wouldn't touch it.

Have a professional do it.

Polaris introduced a "shift improvement" kit shortly after they realized they introduced weak transmission. Obviously, they will not admit to any defect in the design of the transmission but, anyone can read between the lines of their BS. The kit includes a different shift drum, stronger shift forks, and other odds and ends. It is not a complete rebuild kit though. Whatever gear(s) are broken will need replaced along with the mating components.

You can find these kits, either, through a local polaris dealer or www.HPD-INC.com. Cost is about $200.

Good Luck!
    Like to thank those that gave me the ability to think for myself and have a sense of individuality.

F-tranny pred 500 03

Ok so, Since Ive bought this quad Ive orderd the parts cost 300 straight from polaris. With the updated shift forks and so on. The cost of them doing the work is about 1200. I ask my self how hard could it be ? Really how hard could it be. I spend time rebuilding my dirt bike. And wasnt that hard. Whats the worst that could happen? Oh and they say it will take them 11 hours to do it and Where I live the cost of everything is high. Shop rate is about ohhhhh 120 I dunno but to me that seems high

Buy a repair manual take your time and make sure you read every step.
    1989 trx250r-few mods
    1998 500 scrambler-wifes
    2007 Kymco 250 Mongoose-mydaughter
    2007 250ex-my boys
    1986 ATC250r Project

You can do it..... It takes some time but its not that bad
    Special Thanks To:
    KTM North America, Brian Healea of KTM, Sport Cycles Racing, FMF, Motorex, Houser Racing, Rath Racing, Thor, Spy Goggles

03 pred500 tranny rebuild update shift forks

ok so is this dude jokin? cause I have the manual looked through it but, it looks pretty simple. What do I risk ****ing up?

its all about pulling everything apart and putting it back together without F'in something up. If you take your time you can do it, just make sure you have the proper tools you need or its gonna take you a lot longer to get it done.

Ok so what tools do I need, I think im going out on a limb here but Im gonna see if anyone knows

you said you have a manual so look it up throught that, its the easiest way.

ex: flywheel puller + the rest

actually you dont need a fly wheel puller to re do the tranny, but buy one any way and pull the fly whell every couple monthes or so and make sure the bolts on back are stll tight.
    03 Pred fmf factory 4,big gun rev box, 12.5 to 1 weisco piston, web cams, some portwork,41mm FCR,no air box,13/40 sprockets. sold

04 yfz450, athena 480 kit, hot rods +3mm stroker crank, drag ported, Anadized factory 4, rev box, esr intake, Hot cams, 13/40 sprockes, +4 swing arm, running on methyonal with 10 paddle extreems (wifes bike)

06 Silver Brute 750, winch, 7 series rims, 28" EDL Vampires, 2" lift, Highlifter springs, clutch kit, ignition box