Thread: 12:1 vs 11:1

12:1 vs 11:1

i have a stock bore 11:1 comp wiseco in my 400ex what would i gain by puttiing a stock bore 12:1 comp piston in ??? torque, top end, low end?? oh and if it makes a difference i got a higher reving cam and full dmc exhaust and tc rev box. i know it will probably need higher octane fuel

thanks for any in sight
    josh
    04 450r- bored card ported head stage three hotcam rossier exhaust K&N filter.
    05 450- web cam rossier exhaust K&N filter
    01 400ex- custom regrind web cam full hmf exhaust K&N filter TC rev box. R shocks
    00 400ex- ported head stage two hot cam K&N filter.

from what i have heard, u will see gains throughout the whole powerspread. and u will need to mix race fuel with pump gas
    2009 KTM450XC.

You'd gain torque. I wouldn't do it for just the performance gain, it just wouldn't be worth it when you could get a nice cam and some porting with the money.
    2009 CRF250R

R.I.P. Kelly "Steelrod" Chang, Todd Vescovi, Matt Barosek, & Jeremy Lusk, You'll Never be Forgotten!

Once you step up the compression to 12:1 or higher on a 400ex its is highly suggested, and common practice to run heavy duty head studs. Which cost 59.95 from gtthunder then you have to have them installed at a machine shop. You could tell a difference in power but like stocktires said I would go with just a cam right now. Then you don't have to take off the head, but with the cam off it's just a matter of a few bolts so that is up to you. Keep in mind the heavy duty head studs when thinking compression though, and with 12:1 a 50/50 mix race and pump would be nice.
    2003 400ex - Wiseco 11:1 , Hotcam stage 2 , CDI rev box , Sparks Flywheel Key, Uni Filter , TC Racing Exhaust, Heavy Duty Clutch, AC Nerfs , Ac Bumper, AC skid plate , Handlebars , Paddle Tires , and Stock Tires , Shaved Fenders , Custom Woody Woodpecker ( Ricky Carmicheal ) Graphics, Fly Racing, +2 +1 American Star A-Arms, 14 Tooth Front Sprocket, Gold Chain, American Racer Flat Track Tires, Lowering Kit, Finally got my Lonestar Sway Bar!!!

2000 Chevy Silverado 2wd,5.3L V8
    Black, reg cab, short bed, stepside
    Tinted windows
    Clear headlights, turnsignals, Clear 3rd brake light, eurotails
    20" Boss Wheels
    Custom grille
    Flowmaster Duals w/ Electric cut-outs
    K & N Filter
    Hypertech Tuner
    Rockford Fosgate 10's
    Suspension Leveling Kit

i already have a good cam. i was just wondering if it would be worth it to put a 12:1 in next time i rebuild it. and tearing the whole thing to peices is no big deal for me. i do it once a week it seems anyway.
    04 450r- bored card ported head stage three hotcam rossier exhaust K&N filter.
    05 450- web cam rossier exhaust K&N filter
    01 400ex- custom regrind web cam full hmf exhaust K&N filter TC rev box. R shocks
    00 400ex- ported head stage two hot cam K&N filter.

Higher compression will give gains everywhere, but not equally. You see a little gain in the upper revs, but where it REALLY seems to help is the low-end torque.

A lot of engine builders will use the philosophy of a high-rev camshaft for upper RPM gain, and higher compression to restore the power you loose on the low-end.
    Duncan Racing 340PV, +2 A-arms, +4 LSR axle, and a host of other goodies.

Bottom line in my opinion is yes it will be worth it. If you tear it down that much and have the money. But keep it mind what I said earlier about heavy duty head studs and race gas mix. Those are kinda hidden costs that go with a 12:1 piston that few companies will openly warn you about. Expect some turn around time on the head studs too.
    2003 400ex - Wiseco 11:1 , Hotcam stage 2 , CDI rev box , Sparks Flywheel Key, Uni Filter , TC Racing Exhaust, Heavy Duty Clutch, AC Nerfs , Ac Bumper, AC skid plate , Handlebars , Paddle Tires , and Stock Tires , Shaved Fenders , Custom Woody Woodpecker ( Ricky Carmicheal ) Graphics, Fly Racing, +2 +1 American Star A-Arms, 14 Tooth Front Sprocket, Gold Chain, American Racer Flat Track Tires, Lowering Kit, Finally got my Lonestar Sway Bar!!!

2000 Chevy Silverado 2wd,5.3L V8
    Black, reg cab, short bed, stepside
    Tinted windows
    Clear headlights, turnsignals, Clear 3rd brake light, eurotails
    20" Boss Wheels
    Custom grille
    Flowmaster Duals w/ Electric cut-outs
    K & N Filter
    Hypertech Tuner
    Rockford Fosgate 10's
    Suspension Leveling Kit