Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheaper conversion YZ or CRF?

Cheaper conversion YZ or CRF?

I'm not really brand loyal. These motors now a days are so good....it's hard to pick a bad one. Anyway, what is a less expensive conversion? A yz426 or CRF 450 into a stock 400ex frame.

Gusseting, fabbing mounts, intake, exhaust, radiator, oil tank etc...

Glamis
    NEW RIDE.....
    Houser Framed '02 CRF450 Hybrid. Powdercoated gold, chrome Houser sub-frame, Houser +4 no-link swingarm, +2 houser a arms, Houser stem, Tag T2 bars, +4 Dominator2 axle, Elka rear shock, Fox Float front shocks, Hardkore hubs, Dream waterpump cover, Dream clutch cover, Fullbore plastic, AC Pro-pegs,braided brake lines, and more....

426 motor will be cheaper and easier.
    2009 CRF250R

R.I.P. Kelly "Steelrod" Chang, Todd Vescovi, Matt Barosek, & Jeremy Lusk, You'll Never be Forgotten!

Yz426 cause the motors are cheeper. For me it costed about $1600 to do and since i didnt have all the cash at once it took me over half a year to get dune and finally today i can ride it for my 4th time.
    If you get a yz400 motor you can build a hybrid for less than $1000.

Ok cool....so now, could someone post EVERYTHING that needs to be done on a hybrid swap. Like new where to get a new airbox that fits and which new intake to use, what head pipe and muffler works for that set up.

I'll most likely attempt this new season but I will start piecing it together soon.

Thanks
    NEW RIDE.....
    Houser Framed '02 CRF450 Hybrid. Powdercoated gold, chrome Houser sub-frame, Houser +4 no-link swingarm, +2 houser a arms, Houser stem, Tag T2 bars, +4 Dominator2 axle, Elka rear shock, Fox Float front shocks, Hardkore hubs, Dream waterpump cover, Dream clutch cover, Fullbore plastic, AC Pro-pegs,braided brake lines, and more....

2 frame mounts welded on bottom of frame and front aluminum motor mounts made. I had to have my skid plate mounts took off for the new motor mounts to get welded on.

You need to notch the frame were the carb is so the air boot fits.

You need to make a kick start extention so the kicker clears the frame.

I had every thing welded and made for $270.

The stock oil tank worked perfect on mine.

The radiator needs tabs welded or brackets made

The header and muffler fit all i had to do was shorten the muffler 5" and put it on back words and hose clamp it to the frame and it looks like a alba now. That was with a white bros r series full system though.

You need to make a intake tube.

You might need to adj the chain.

People say you need a whole bunch more stuff but mine is holding up perfect the way it is.

Mines so fast that im now iffy on going on my track cause one mistake and i will be off the track hurt. I push started mine yesterday cause its sometimes hard to start and it started up and all most made me fall of cause it made my head and body go back and one hand came off the bars.

who makes a gussett kit?

Glamis
    NEW RIDE.....

first off yz426 because the crf motor is to tall for the stock frame. 2 if u have stuff to make a gusset kit make ur own. then as for fram mods u need the motor mounts changed make sure u get the motor at the right angle. radiator and mounts depends on what radiator u run weather or not u have to use a different oil tank. may have to make a custom airbox because of the linkage suspension
    04 dodge cummins 6 speed
    Houser crf hybrid
    08 trx450r

Originally posted by 250x_kyle
    2 if u have stuff to make a gusset kit make ur own.
    Gusset kit? I only had to add a gesset in were the frame needed to be notched for the intake tube.

Originally posted by slow
    Gusset kit? I only had to add a gesset in were the frame needed to be notched for the intake tube.
    if you do it with a stock 400 frame u want to gusset the whole frame. just a good idea if your going to be mxing. if not ur frame might not last to long
    04 dodge cummins 6 speed
    Houser crf hybrid
    08 trx450r

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast