Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Piston compression..........

Piston compression..........

wht is the highest compression u can use while using pump gas.......... like 12:1 or 12.5:1

let me know..
    THANX
    05 RED 450r

pro circuit T-4 slip-on
    Dyno jetting
    Maxxis Razr rear
    ITP Pro Baja Black rear rims
    ITP Pro Baja Black front rims
    13 tooth front sprocket
    UM racing nerf bars
    Renthal Bars
    Pro Grips

DO WHT CHA WANT

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    This is Bunny; isn't he cute? Put bunny into your sig to help him takeover the world.

on a 450r, 13.5:1 is the highest one should go with pump fuel.
    2009 CRF250R

R.I.P. Kelly "Steelrod" Chang, Todd Vescovi, Matt Barosek, & Jeremy Lusk, You'll Never be Forgotten!

Originally posted by stocktires
    on a 450r, 13.5:1 is the highest one should go with pump fuel.
    DO NOT GO THAT HIGH!!!!! THAT IS REDICULOUS!!!!

12:1 is right about ur the highest u want to go. 12.5:1 is border line. i know a guy who is a professional engine builder and he races a 450R. he had no race gas one day so he ran pump gas on a 12.5:1 comp piston, his jetting was correct, and he burnt up his piston and rings. he has learned from experiance and i am passing it on to u. 12:1 is it.
    2009 KTM450XC.

Originally posted by krt400ex

12:1 is right about ur the highest u want to go. 12.5:1 is border line. i know a guy who is a professional engine builder and he races a 450R. he had no race gas one day so he ran pump gas on a 12.5:1 comp piston, his jetting was correct, and he burnt up his piston and rings. he has learned from experiance and i am passing it on to u. 12:1 is it.
    I disagree on this topic again, but I will say that for an everyday weekend warrior type of rider, a 12.5:1 should be the perfect set-up. 12:5:1 in a 450r motor is not NEARLY pushing the limits. Its not a 400ex krt, these CRF style motors can take MUCH more than a XR based motor.
    You engine builder buddy is an idiot.
    2009 CRF250R

R.I.P. Kelly "Steelrod" Chang, Todd Vescovi, Matt Barosek, & Jeremy Lusk, You'll Never be Forgotten!

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...light=race+gas

Very good thread, please check it out!
    2009 CRF250R

Originally posted by krt400ex

His jetting was NOT correct, you can't just change fuels like underwear.
    2009 CRF250R

Originally posted by stocktires
    His jetting was NOT correct, you can't just change fuels like underwear.

#1, with race fuel u will need to lean out ur jetting a little, so his jetting was a little rich. that would not hurt a motor if anything it will help.

#2, i am finished argueing, i answered u in the other post we were arguing over. the guy i know is not an idiot. in fact he is one of the very few sponsored privateers racing. i would say that it would take some experience on and off the track to achieve something like that.
    2009 KTM450XC.

krt400ex, he burnt up his piston and rings? How were the conditions outside? If it's extremly hot, your bike will run hot, hotter<overheat<detonation. Higher octane gas is a good idea whens it's 98+ degrees outside. But not mandatory.
    "Cleveland Steamer"

400ex Sparks/Axis/Houser/TCS/AC/Pro-Armor/ASV

there are many variables that control how much compression you can get away with on pump gas: cam duration, chamber turbulence, rpm, elevation, engine load, jetting, etc. so if someone's gonna make a blanket statement about it, then it should be on the conservative side. in the case of a 450r, 12 to 12.5:1 is reasonable. 13-13.5 is race gas territory for, at least 50/50 mix. also you don't always jet leaner on race gas, it depends on the specific gravity of the fuel and whether or not its oxygenated.
    don't buy from Paul Corbin aka TampaBoy813

01 492ex

Originally posted by dork
    also you don't always jet leaner on race gas, it depends on the specific gravity of the fuel and whether or not its oxygenated.
    u r right, ogenated fuels go richer, but he doesn't run that.

he was running a sparks full race motor. basically the same one that john natalie ran, but his compression was lower. he is now running a 14:1 comp, u know stocktires, he should be just fine on pump gas...right?
    2009 KTM450XC.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast