Thread: good woods setup

good woods setup

im looking for a good motor setup for trail riding i ride a 400ex i need a lot of torque i was thinking a stroker motor is this a good idea i need to run on pump gas
    02 400ex
    hmf pipe, procom rev pox
    weisco 11:1piston, razr's rear,
    jetted, k&n airfilter
    raptor hood for better cooling,
    magnum ez pull clutch lever,
    red tag x5 bars,
    14 tooth counter sproket,
    red tusk nerf bars
    works rear shock
    stage 2 hot cam just broke in
    houser +1 1/4 swingarm

93 300ex
    cobra exhaust holeshots xct
    moiton pro twist throtle
    prm bumper a arm and body skid plate

you could try full pipe, re jetting, hot cams stage 1, high compression piston i believe a 11-1 will still run pump gas not 100% sure though please correct if wrong

An easy fix for more torque is change your gearing, put a smaller front sproket on--only a suggestion man!!

For the money, I definately wouldn't stroke it... Unless you know how to do it yourself and you get parts at discount costs... Those were the only 2 reasons I stroked my quad, and the fact that I had to replace the crank...lol. But I have to say, it is a torque monster and I love the thing. But I'm also running 13 to 1 compression. My thoughts are bigger bore like 426, 11 to 1 compression, and a stage 1 hotcam if you are just looking for that low end thump.
    2001 Honda 400ex
    motor:+4 stroke crank, 89mm 13:1 JE piston, Stroker cam, port and polish, larger valves, 450r carb, K&N filter, GT thunder shorty, MSD ignition.
    Frame: Gibson +3+1 LT front end, Custom axis shocks, RPM swingarm, LSR axle, Graydone proline nerfs, Tag bumper, PEP steering stabilizer, Houser stem, tag bars, Axis rear shock. plus more stuff i cant remember

Full Pipe, Airfilter, jeted, TC Cam, Vavles, Springs 416 big bore
    V-Twin King Quad

Originally posted by honda460ex
    For the money, I definately wouldn't stroke it... Unless you know how to do it yourself and you get parts at discount costs... Those were the only 2 reasons I stroked my quad, and the fact that I had to replace the crank...lol. But I have to say, it is a torque monster and I love the thing. But I'm also running 13 to 1 compression. My thoughts are bigger bore like 426, 11 to 1 compression, and a stage 1 hotcam if you are just looking for that low end thump.
    where did you get your stroked crank and piston from and do they make it in 11:1 cause im trying to stay on pump gas
    02 400ex
    hmf pipe, procom rev pox
    jetted, k&n airfilter
    red tag x5 bars,
    red tusk nerf bars
    works rear shock
    houser +1 1/4 swingarm

93 300ex
    moiton pro twist throtle

Originally posted by honda460ex
    where did you get you stroked crank and piston does it come in 11:1 and how much did it run sorry to ask so many questions just trying to get some info on where to buy it from and how much it will run
    02 400ex
    hmf pipe, procom rev pox
    jetted, k&n airfilter
    red tag x5 bars,
    red tusk nerf bars
    works rear shock
    houser +1 1/4 swingarm

93 300ex
    moiton pro twist throtle

The crank and rod is made by Hotrods. It is a drop in thing, no machining required. And you can keep your original crank and rod. Somehow they are combined with Hotcams too. If you look in a new Parts Unlimited Catalog, Dennis Kirk maybe, I forgot the other book. I got mine when my brotherinlaw owned his own shop. He sold it off now so I don't get the break which sucks. My piston I have I got off of someone off of here. They had to custom order it. And typicaly when you custom order you have to order 5 or more pistons at like $140 a piece. Hotrods does have a piston that you can run pump gas on. It's a 10.5 to 1 I believe. It's either that or 10 to 1. But book cost on it is like $220 which I thought was nuts. Then the crank at book cost is a pinch over $320 I think. So count on shipping and all being around $600 just for the crank and piston. Then you would need a 440 sleeve, because the piston they make is an 89mm. Honestly, the best combo if you do this and want low end torque, stick with a stage 2 Hotcam. They make a stroker cam which I have and is awesome, but it gives all around stronger power with a lot more on top. I did have the stage 2 before though, and with the stroker it made a ton of torque, but fell off in the top end. Bottom end was wicked nuts though. I could lug it around in 5th gear, barely give it gas, and the thing would pick up and take off just like that. PM me if you haveany more specific questions about it and I'll do my best to help you whatever way I can. Good luck.
    2001 Honda 400ex
    motor:+4 stroke crank, 89mm 13:1 JE piston, Stroker cam, port and polish, larger valves, 450r carb, K&N filter, GT thunder shorty, MSD ignition.
    Frame: Gibson +3+1 LT front end, Custom axis shocks, RPM swingarm, LSR axle, Graydone proline nerfs, Tag bumper, PEP steering stabilizer, Houser stem, tag bars, Axis rear shock. plus more stuff i cant remember

could change your gearing
    03 400ex- far from stock.

85-atc 250r- bored to a 280 with all the goods.

04- crf 50/ 88 big bore

05-ARGO 8X8 amphibious
    06- RANCHER 400.
    08-TRX 250ex.

prev rides- yfz 450 se, 3 400ex,300ex, 200x, 250sx, crf 88, xr 107, xr 88,yamaha banshee, yamaha enticer 340, mxz 583, cbr 1000rr, trx 90

I'd start cheap if you're only looking for a woods set up with lots of low end...go down a tooth in the front and you'll be amazed at the difference. If that's still not enough for you, you can go as low as a 13 tooth on a 400ex front.

to me it's $600+ in motor work vs trying a $13 sprocket. I went with the sprocket.

I run a 13 and I still barely get into fourth on trails.
    2000 400ex
    Renthal bars • 22" Razr 2's all around • Moose Air Filter • Renthal 14T front sprocket • NBS twin row carrier • Primary Drive chain • HMF Sport Series • FMF PowerBomb • Denton Stabilizer

Quote that cracked me up: "Remember every time you run wheel spacers or flipped rims... god kills a kitten" ~~ 400exrider707