Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Adjusting the Valves on the Predator

I got filler gauge in the mail today, ran out and took the front fenders and gas tank off, removed the valve cover and loosened the cam chain tensioner. I then slid an .06 filler under my intake cam and it would not go in. ran a .10 under the exhaust and it was perfect, just a slight drag like we want. So I removed the intake cam and dropped the little C shaped bearing stop (?) down into the motor, it landed pm the bottom cam sprocket so I fetched that out with a long screw driver. After all all that I started trying shims until I found one that worked for that valve ( long process) I then put the motor back in time which was very easy once you see how its done, I skipped that stupid brass link crap, the chain will work the same no matter what tooth its on. Any way, I put it all back together and hit the start button, BAMM it started instantly just like t use too!! I warmed it up and gave it a ride around the yard and was amazed at how much better it was running. Its like a rocket now that the shims are back to normal + the HMF & air box mod that I done after it started acting up. If you pred is doing what mine was doing then order the shim kit and do this adjustment, its easy, took me about 90 minutes.
    2005 Troy Lee Predator.
    HMF Sport Series Exhaust.
    Razor2s.
    Gusseted Metallic black frame.
    Fox float shox.
    Rest in peace my brother CLB 1975 - 2006

Originally posted by kc8pnd
    I got filler gauge in the mail today, ran out and took the front fenders and gas tank off, removed the valve cover and loosened the cam chain tensioner. I then slid an .06 filler under my intake cam and it would not go in. ran a .10 under the exhaust and it was perfect, just a slight drag like we want. So I removed the intake cam and dropped the little C shaped bearing stop (?) down into the motor, it landed pm the bottom cam sprocket so I fetched that out with a long screw driver. After all all that I started trying shims until I found one that worked for that valve ( long process) I then put the motor back in time which was very easy once you see how its done, I skipped that stupid brass link crap, the chain will work the same no matter what tooth its on. Any way, I put it all back together and hit the start button, BAMM it started instantly just like t use too!! I warmed it up and gave it a ride around the yard and was amazed at how much better it was running. Its like a rocket now that the shims are back to normal + the HMF & air box mod that I done after it started acting up. If you pred is doing what mine was doing then order the shim kit and do this adjustment, its easy, took me about 90 minutes.
    thats what i like to hear!! yeah it isnt that hard of a process but it is alot of "trial and error". good to see things worked out for you.
    ~2008 YFZ~
    Pro Armor, Houser, Maxxis, Streamline

#621 WNYOA Harescramble Series
    www.wnyoa.net

Sponsors: Steel MX, Weapon MX, WolffRacing

www.steelmx.com
    www.weaponmx.com

I was nervous at first but I plowed through, I think I started 6 pm and started it around 7:45 pm, it was just getting dark. I would much rather do all this stuff myself as long as its not real hard, and you don't need any special tools. It really gives you a sense of pride.
    2005 Troy Lee Predator.
    HMF Sport Series Exhaust.
    Razor2s.
    Gusseted Metallic black frame.
    Fox float shox.
    Rest in peace my brother CLB 1975 - 2006

yeah it does give you a good sense of pride. when i first did it, everything seemed so intimidating, but it really isnt bad at all! in some regards, i think it is just as easy as jetting a carb.
    ~2008 YFZ~
    Pro Armor, Houser, Maxxis, Streamline

#621 WNYOA Harescramble Series
    www.wnyoa.net

Sponsors: Steel MX, Weapon MX, WolffRacing

www.steelmx.com
    www.weaponmx.com

Here is a chart to show the correct shim to use,,, so's to cut out the trial and error. there are examples on the chart to get you started.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have been looking at this thread for a while now. But i dont understand the chart could someone help me out? I just want to make shure that i know every thing thanks. Oh yeah very nice thread i dont think i could do this my self without your help. Im going to do this soon. I will let people know the progress as i go through it.

Nice thread! Thanks!

Definitely solved my hard starting problem. Been a problem for the last year/ since i bought the bike. Also I had no idea of the power i was missing out on. I had just got comfy with the weaker version and worn shims. Once I changed the shims and got this bike right, it was like a whole new machine to me! What a difference! Thanks and this board is the best ATV board on the net!

Another Tid-bit of useful info

Anyone wanting to do this alone (like me) will want to go ahead and buy the polaris special tool for the cam chain tensioner. The method described in this thread (leaving the cam chain tensioner in) is pretty much impossible if you don't have a buddy available to help you out....trust me. Sure a screwdriver will work to remove the tension from the cam chain, but it's in such a tight place and it requires that a good amount of pressure be used to remove the cam chain tension that it's just easier to remove the tensioner assembly and use the special tool to reset it before re-inserting it into the head for re-installation. Removal of the tensioner also makes it easier to align the timing marks properly upon re-assembly since you will have slack on the chain to work with. The method described here will require a you to strain your fingertips turning a small screwdriver in a tight area to remove enough tension from the chain to allow removal from the cams. Since this adjustment is suppossed to be checked and if need, completed every 35 hours, IMO I think it's worth it to buy the tool for $17.95. The polaris part number is pa-45958 and can be found at this link: http://polaris.spx.com/Detail.aspx?id=202&cat=1.

Also, I don't remember if it was stated or not in the thread but upon re-assembly, the intake timing marks should be at 9 and 12 o'clock and the exhaust cam will be slightly advanced by one tooth once the tensioner is reinstalled. Just trying to save a few people a little bit of headache that i experienced. Nothing is worse than having to stop in the middle of a process and source additional manpower when it could be done a bit easier. Work smarter, not harder i always say

In doing a shim and bucket valve adjustment there is math involved. Unless you want to spend all day trying out different shims to get it right. Find your clearance specs for intake and exhaust. Now ill try to explain this in words without showing you the best of my ability. Since shims are sold in increments of .05 you need to take the clearance you measured and either add or subtract to it .05 to get your clearance within the spec range. (side note: intake should be on tight side of clearance exhaust on loose side because exhaust heats up faster and will expand more). Once you do that if you added to your clearance then that means you have to subtract that much from your shim number you are replaceing, and vice versa. Tada! Your resulting number you get from either adding or subtracting to your shim will be the new shim you need to get. say your shim says 195, that means it is 1.95mm shim. Odd shim numbers like 197 or 192 are more complex to do and I dont want to screw up trying to explain that to you via comment.
    2000 400ex
    Durablue +2 axle, Lonestar Carrier, Moose Nerfs, Protaper Bars, 450r shocks, 450r brakes (steel braided lines) and spindles, Motion Pro throttle cable, HMF Exhaust, ProCom CDI, Curtis Sparks +6 degree key, DG Bumper, Douglas rear rims, K&N Air and Oil filter, Complete Skids, +1 stock steering stem, Kenda knarleys in the rear, Kenda klaws up front, Factory Effects gripper seat, UM air shrouds, Primary drive alloy sprockets and gold x-ring chain, lots of TLC.

started mine last night but I'm not buying the whole 90 dollar shim kit for the two that I need. my local Honda/Polaris dealer says the shims from a Honda 450 should be the same. I brought one to work with me today and I'm going by there today so we'll see.
    Well its monday and I finished up this weekend. I'm not sure if it was the intake valve being too tight or the spark plug gap that I found to be set at .010. I reset everything to where its suppost to be and WOW this thing cranked right up. and just sounds so much better. I let it run for a few to check for any leaks and am pleasntly suprise as to how long it'll idle now as before it would only idle for maybe a minute.
    I took it out for a little test ride around the block and there is so much power now its stupid. I'll never let it get this far out again.
    ohh. and as for the shims, dont waist your money on hotcams kit as my local Honda dealer sells the 450r shims (which are excactly the same) for 5.99 each. hell of alot better than 90 bucks for the kit.
    2007 400ex spark advance key, Dynojet kit stage one for now, K&N, Renthals, 14 tooth front sprocket. DG RMC II full exhuast

2007polaris predator 500 dealer demo, polaris ehxuast system, k&n filter, stage two coil and rev box, 14tooth front sprocket, fast like f***

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast