Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Adjusting the Valves on the Predator

Thumbs up

WOW ,THAT WAS EASY ,WHAT A LIFE SAVER. YOU ARE DEAD ON , NO NEED FOR ANY CHANGES.MANY THANKS TO YOU.
    WALT AKIN

My first post here but I've used this write up to do my cousins(now my) predator. My big question is, when you get down to the 120 shims and the valves tighten up again, what's the fix? New valves? And how hard is that to do? I'm pretty handy with a wrench

Quote Originally Posted by wolffie View Post
    ok, so chances are things are out of wack. this is where i usually seek the help of slave labor just kidding. bought seriousely, grab a buddy, this will make things easier.

you will need to loosen the cam tensioner. located on the right side of the quad near where the header raps around. pop the 10mm bolt off (it is really shallow) and set it with your parts. you will need to take a screw driver (i believe a 1/8) and stick it in the slot until it "catches". now, have your buddy turn the screwdrive to the RIGHT until it can be turned no more. either use a vice grip to hold the tension or just have your friend sit there and hold it. this takes the tension off of the cam chain so you can remove it. picture taken by preddy08 from www.predatorowners.com

Instead of having to hold the cam tensioner the entire time with a screw driver, you can remove the whole tensioner assembly by just loosening the tensioner bolt, then taking out the two bolts that hold it to the cylinder. Then just bolt it back on when you have the cams back in and the chain back on. It simplifies the process.
    1986 trx250r

Super post. Busy adjusting my valves now an the intake side also has no gap, not even the thinnest gauge will fit. Now i am a bit confused as to how i can get the correct shim size without buying a whole set cause here in South Africa its extremely expensive for a kit.Any ideas will be super appreciated

I can not get the thinnest feeler.0015 I belive under my intake valves. I have a 175 and can't tell the other. What size shim will I need to correct this

How does the intake side get too tight? Sims like as the shim smushes it would get looser? Maybe I am thinking about it backwards.

I will measure with filler and then used a caliper to find the shim that get me close to the measurement I need. I have a shim kit. Any concerns getting the timing off doing this? Or as long as I line the cam marks on the sprockets back where they were I will be good?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345