Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R6 motor in a yfz??

R6 motor in a yfz??

Alright guys, my friend recently cooked the motor in his 2005 yfz, it was running to lean nd the wrist clip failed nd just put a rob through the block, the whole nine yards. He was toying with the idea of putting a 2005 yamaha R6 motor into his yfz. He has no computer so Im taking up on posting this for him. Has this ever been done? Does anyone think its worth it? And how difficult and how many man hours do you think would be involved? And would the engine fit in the frame without cutting the frame? thanks guys
    -2004 YFZ450

- Stage 2 HOT CAMS
    - HMF slip-on
    - Dynojet jet kit
    - K&N Air filter
    - Red fuel mixture screw
    - +1" Chrome Burgard steering stem
    - Billet tie-rods
    - GYT-R frame guards
    - 20x11x9 HD's on C-series Rims on rear
    - 21x10x11 Razr II's on the front
    - Dirt Digger Clutch

I have a feeling that the R6 engine is a lot taller than the yfz engine, so the frame would probably have to be cut on the top rail and extended upward, which you would then run into problems with your gas tank. It would take a lot of time and patience, and some engineering skills, but if he could pull it off, it would be a sweet ride.

P.S.- Did you leave a post a while back that you wanted to possibly come ride w/ me in York, PA? I sent you a PM but you never replied.

do you think there would be alot of vibration from it not being balanced right? and as far as a pipe goes, would a custom one need to be made?
    -2004 YFZ450

- Stage 2 HOT CAMS
    - HMF slip-on
    - Dynojet jet kit
    - K&N Air filter
    - Red fuel mixture screw
    - Billet tie-rods
    - GYT-R frame guards
    - Dirt Digger Clutch

hmm, i did not think about that, but if the engine mounts are not placed properly, the vibration could be a problem, and most likely a custom pipe would need to be made, or the old one might be able to be modified to work

Don't even bother with putting a streetbike engine in a quad. It is a totally lame idea considering the bike will be nothing except topend. In any typical drag race a built quad engine will walk away from it.... not to mention it will become a money pit through everything it is gonna take to stay together.

does anyone know of a place that buildes custom pipes? im almost half contimplating selling him my yfz motor and buying an r6 motor myself now haha
    -2004 YFZ450

- Stage 2 HOT CAMS
    - HMF slip-on
    - Dynojet jet kit
    - K&N Air filter
    - Red fuel mixture screw
    - Billet tie-rods
    - GYT-R frame guards
    - Dirt Digger Clutch

CHEVYZ its all in gearing my friend with the right gearing that engine would prob top out at like 70 or 80 but get up there like a bat out of hell
    and theres no way a quad engine (1 cylinder 450) can out run a street bike motor (4 cylinder 600)
    got my new yfz450 and lovin it

400ex for sale pm me or call for more info 845 701 5691
    -matt

very true man if you put a r6 motor in that thing WOW that would be sick as hell man ......send me pix when you get it done dude that is sum serious **** right there ............GO FOR IT

No, I have seen it all. From 600s to 1200s, I have seen it. Just a little while back at State Capital Raceway around here there was a guy with a built ZX-12 engine on a quad getting burned by other big bore quads. I see them all the time at the big events. At the Last Clash of the Titans there was a quad with a 1000 engine on it fully modded out getting waxed by big bore DS's and Banshees. Now, you also have to consider that with that kind of engine you are no longer dealing with 450 competition. I would be willing to bet that a fully built 450 engine could take a streetbike (Engine) powered quad, but that is no longer your competition in the first place. You are now in a new class and are running with built DS's, Banshees, Raptors, etc. Now, yeah, in a 1/8th mile drag, it would do well. I do not know how things are set-up elsewhere, but around here it is 300ft. drags.... too short for the full potential of a streetbike engine to be released.

Originally posted by CHEVYZ
    Don't even bother with putting a streetbike engine in a quad. It is a totally lame idea considering the bike will be nothing except topend. In any typical drag race a built quad engine will walk away from it.... not to mention it will become a money pit through everything it is gonna take to stay together.
    R u kidding me?? Well whoever is riding the quad with the streetbike motor in it and still getting beat by a built quad is a jackass. A streetbike motor will rev so much faster than a quad motor would ever do.

Yes I have seen one turbo Raptor 690 ALMOST keeping up with a GSX-R 750 DS framed quad, but how reliable is a turbo??? And they are not cheap!!

I can definately see a Trex 10mil Banshee keeping up with a stock 600 motor, but something 1000 and up, NO WAY!!!
    2006 Honda 450R
    black w/electric start
    HMF center mount w/HRC head pipe
    HRC kit
    General Lee graphics from Zing Racing.
    velocity intake w/no air box and K&N
    Laeger LT front end w/ Fox evol floats
    Laeger +4 axle

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast