Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: split-cycle engine concept

split-cycle engine concept

2000 400ex
    Renthal bars • 22" Razr 2's all around • Moose Air Filter • Renthal 14T front sprocket • NBS twin row carrier • Primary Drive chain • HMF Sport Series • FMF PowerBomb • Denton Stabilizer

Quote that cracked me up: "Remember every time you run wheel spacers or flipped rims... god kills a kitten" ~~ 400exrider707

That is awesome, it's a crazy idea but it makes complete sense. Exactly why I'm going to school for Engineering.
    Neal C. Tody - ntadej@hotmail.com
    -2005 SE Yamaha YFZ450 - Pro Design Pro-Flow Intake, Renthal YFZ Bend Handlebars, AC Bumper, AC Nerfs, Holeshot MX 20" fronts and 18" rears, +2 Burgard Standard A-arms, +4 G-Force Axle, front shocks with the DeRisi Racing Pro Millenium Kit valved for MX (Would never recommend to anyone).
    -2000 Banshee - Found. Damn meth heads even destroyed my brand new engine. They've still got my HiPers too, SOB.

I watched the video and i dont get it lol
    06 LTR LT Ohlins/JB/Rath/Sparks/DWT/Pro Taper/

Got that thunder on my mind, the one that follows the gate hitting the dirt.

Originally posted by WhiteZrider
    I watched the video and i dont get it lol
    LMAO. You have to read it too............Its a good idea but weird
    V-Twin King Quad

Nice find. I'm sceptical of it's application for performance engines--but who knows....
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
    It's what you know for sure that just ain't so. "

--Mark Twain

That's kinda cool. we have 4 cycle and 2 cycle so now we have split cycle. I noticed it fired on every stroke like a 2 cycle but yet it had valves and a cam like a 4 cycle....good concept.

Reminds me a lot of the Wankle concept.. but uses 2 pistons instead of a rotor.

It has promise.
    Brandon -O||||O-
    1998 Honda TRX300EX (330)

Originally posted by bwamos
    Reminds me a lot of the Wankle concept.. but uses 2 pistons instead of a rotor.

It has promise.
    Yea, definately. I'm going to keep my ears open and can't wait for the results of the actual engine next year. They mentioned that several automotive manufacturers are already talking to them. I love innovative technology!
    Neal C. Tody - ntadej@hotmail.com
    -2005 SE Yamaha YFZ450 - Pro Design Pro-Flow Intake, Renthal YFZ Bend Handlebars, AC Bumper, AC Nerfs, Holeshot MX 20" fronts and 18" rears, +2 Burgard Standard A-arms, +4 G-Force Axle, front shocks with the DeRisi Racing Pro Millenium Kit valved for MX (Would never recommend to anyone).
    -2000 Banshee - Found. Damn meth heads even destroyed my brand new engine. They've still got my HiPers too, SOB.

To me, that doesn't seem like it would be very efficient.

The way I understand it, the first piston acts like a sort of forced induction system - like a turbo or supercharger - while the second one does all of the work.

The problem it creates is that there are two pistons but only one of them has a combustion. The one piston has to do the work for the other one. Momentum would help with that of course, but there would still be power loss from that.

There are also space limitations because for every one good piston there is one that isn't doing anything. To me, an extra working piston would be a lot more valuable than one that just pushes mixture into the other one.

A similar and seemingly more efficient setup would be to have a turbocharger for each cylinder.

Also, Wankel was a much better idea
    Jeff

2008 Yamaha Raptor 700

2003 Honda CBR954RR

I think it's an amazingly simple idea that could change a lot of things in automotive and powersports. It may seem like the extra piston would create a lot of drag, but it's not subjected to any extreme heat, so they could make it incredibly light and give it special friction reducing coatings. Another thing to remember is that the extra piston allows the power piston to fire EVERY stroke!! That's huge! Image an access panel to an eccentric crank pin adjuster that allows you to change the amount of cylinder pressure (boost) in the power cylinder by changing the stroke of the intake piston. The possibilities are pretty exciting if you use your imagination.
    '00 416ex -- 11:1 Wiseco, stage 1 HotCams, LEXX slip-on w/ modded header, ASR +2 arms, 450r shocks, G-Force axle, FST style cooler, Trail Tech bars and clamp

Temporarily retired from my extremely short (but successful) racing career.

Maybe some IXCR in the near future.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. - Thomas Jefferson

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast