Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 97' powerstroke

97' powerstroke

so im really close to buy a 97' f250 powerstroke. Just wanting opinions and advice on what to check out before i lay down the cash...thanks ahead of time.
    04' 450r-everything,63hp>stock bore/stroke
    94' RX7 R1- built 5.3l lsx, 76mm turbo, built t56, Ronin widebody etc- project
    63' F250 4x4- 6bt I/C Cummins motor, Ford ZF5 trans, Kingpin Dana 60 front, 87' F350 frame, 6 inch lift, 37's, 63' F250 body- toy hauler

THERE REALLY GOOD TRUCKS DUDE(RIDE LIKE CRAP BUT GOOD) MY GRANDFATHER HAS ONE THAT YEAR

Just check the ball joints and for oil leaks. Tons of power!
    04 450r, DRG powerplant! 2 much 2 list don't be scared

Re: 97' powerstroke

Originally posted by trick450r
    so im really close to buy a 97' f250 powerstroke. Just wanting opinions and advice on what to check out before i lay down the cash...thanks ahead of time.
    whats the mileage on it??

I got a 96 not too long ago, 187k on the clock now, great truck so far, check out the front end (parts are $$$$$) and make sure the transmission has been taken care of
    04 YFZ XC

IATVHSS #264

200k miles, it was used as a masonry truck to the body is alittle beat...but its got no rust on the body or underneath. No leaks, balljoints seem good, and it rides fine...i drove it today.
    04' 450r-everything,63hp>stock bore/stroke
    94' RX7 R1- built 5.3l lsx, 76mm turbo, built t56, Ronin widebody etc- project
    63' F250 4x4- 6bt I/C Cummins motor, Ford ZF5 trans, Kingpin Dana 60 front, 87' F350 frame, 6 inch lift, 37's, 63' F250 body- toy hauler

97 powerstroke

they really didn't have many problems.ball joints,cam positioning senser,and sometimes in winter hard start.glow plugs,or relay,or
    valve cover harness.just stay away from the 6.0l
    i hear the 6.4l is comming out very soon,with 2 turbos....what fun thats going to be.......

i've heard of some that have had crank sensors go bad...

Originally posted by trick450r
    200k miles, it was used as a masonry truck to the body is alittle beat...but its got no rust on the body or underneath. No leaks, balljoints seem good, and it rides fine...i drove it today.
    Mmmm, how much $$$$? 200k is getting up there and diesels are NOT cheap to repair.

I bought a 97 F-350 crew cab this past winter.I looked for a mid to late 90's diesel truck for about a year before I actually found a decent one.The problem I found was that trucks that old had usually been beat on pretty hard but I just couldn't afford a new one.I finally got lucky and found one that was a 1 owner truck that was garage kept by an older couple and primarily used just for towing a camper to Florida.
    I haven't had any problems with it so far but being a mechanic I can tell you a few problems they are noted for:
    (1) Camshaft position sensor failure.They are not hard to replace but when they go they go all at once and you aren't going anywhere
    (2) The transmissions themselves aren't that bad if you keep the fluid changed regularly and keep it out of overdrive when you are towing in hilly terrain.The torque converters however are rather weak and alot of transmissions get replaced when in fact the converter is all that is actually bad.
    (3) On the 7.3 Powerstroke it is verry important to keep the engine oil changed every 3000 miles.Due to the way the injection system is designed dirty oil can wreak havok on it.
    Also change the fuel filter and check the air filter regularly.If you find a truck that has been serviced like it should be it will last you a looooooong time

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast