Thread: smokey 425 ex

Unhappy smokey 425 ex

am new to hondas and am buying a 425 kitted trx 400 ex that smokes the guy said that is common for hondas to smoke after an oil change. is this right??? what could it be?? is it an easy fix for a home handy man. any help would be good thanks
    if you dont fall off your not going fast enough

It is not common to smoke after an oil change. It could be the rings letting oil by. What color is the smoke?
    Thank you for reading my post.

well some 1 told me that if you don't chang you oil in a wile the sluge bilds up on the valve seals then you put new oil in it takes it off on it smokes. idk just wut some 1 told me.

Originally posted by 02440exkid
    well some 1 told me that if you don't chang you oil in a wile the sluge bilds up on the valve seals then you put new oil in it takes it off on it smokes. idk just wut some 1 told me.
    I've never heard that, I'm not saying it's true or not, just never heard it. But for "drftn" I am pretty sure that blue smoke is oil, and white smoke is water/coolant (for liquid cooled motors), and black is too much gas or rich jetting. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Thank you for reading my post.

Originally posted by 02440exkid
    no thats not how it goes, its, if you let your quad sit for a while without riding, lets say 3 days. oil will leak into the vavle seals or into the rings, only a little though, and when you start your quad it smokes. not for too long, just untill the oil that leaked is burned out
    "Cleveland Steamer"

400ex Sparks/Axis/Houser/TCS/AC/Pro-Armor/ASV

Hay thanks and yea it is blue smoke and it keeps smoking while your riding, guess i sould be in for a recon.
    What make of piston kit would a 425 be? new rings might be a go and i have no way of finding the orignal builder

Originally posted by drftn
    Hay thanks and yea it is blue smoke and it keeps smoking while your riding, guess i sould be in for a recon.
    What make of piston kit would a 425 be? new rings might be a go and i have no way of finding the orignal builder
    A "425" is almost certainly an 88mm piston. 88mm bore and 70mm stroke works out to 425.533cc. Every once in a while you'll see someone refer to a "425" or a "415" (vs. the commonly refered to 416) and it usually just comes down to how you round when doing the displacement calculation. If that's not the explination for what this "425" is then I don't know what it could be.

88mm pistons are a common size for anyone who makes 400EX/XR400 pistons. You'll just have to remove the piston to see who made it. Be aware that 88mm is the last size the stock sleeve will handle. Maybe the bore is OK but I wouldn't bet on it. The next options are 88.5mm (430cc) or 89mm (435cc even though they're almost universally refered to as "440s"). A 89.5mm is a true 440cc. They'll all need a new sleeve pressed in.

ETA: corrected typo
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
    It's what you know for sure that just ain't so. "

--Mark Twain

mint good to know

Originally posted by GPracer2500
    88.5mm is a true 440cc. They'll all need a new sleeve pressed in.
    little correction, 89.5 is a true 440. GPracer just made a little Typo. 88.5 is a 430 as he stated earlier in his post.

but you need to tear it down to see what brand of piston is in it before you buy rings and to make sure you just need rings, not a new sleeve.
    Tyler Jones

2000 426EX, 11:1 wiseco, hot cams stage 3 "stroker" cam, Ported head done by Dr. G, FCR 41, Hot rods crank, running no base gasket, 1 layer of 3 layer head gasket, Klotz 113 race fuel Feather carbon smoothie hood, works tripples w/ressies, Black HMF slip on, AC pro peg nerfs, Azonic fat bars, burgaurd +1 1/4" swinger, Lonestar +1 stem, douglas yellow label front wheels, Pro Armor front bumper, + some others goodies

AIM: Fourtrax426

Holeshot Motorsports Wilder, KY
    for all aftermarket parts

Originally posted by underpowered
    little correction, 89.5 is a true 440...
    Whoops!

Thanks
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
    It's what you know for sure that just ain't so. "

--Mark Twain