Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: need more power???

Cool need more power???

I have a 2000 400EX with a Yoshi. slip on pipe and K&N air filter and jet. I recently got into drag racing and love it but my quad is fast but I get beat sometimes. I was looking at buying the LRD full system, would this give me any more power? Is there anything else I can do for not alot of money to give me more power. I seen edelbrock had a new carb out, has anyone tried one of these yet? Thanks for any info.

No matter what kind of complete system you get, it will give you more power than your slip on. I've heard that the lrd's are good along w/ sparks and ct. A carb will help most when you start doing motor work.
    "We'll put a boot in your ***...its the American way."
    AIM Name-JakeFox06

how much money ya got?

Marysville, OH Northern Cambria, PA (hometown)
    If i were u i would keep ur slip on pipe for now and buy a 416 je piston 10.8:1 and i would put in a xr 400 cam for under 300$ that will give u a major boost in hp. u can't buy a header for yoshi or i would tell u to do that.

Thanks for the helps so far. On money I want to spend I would like to keep it around 500 or so and with christmas not that far away start giving hints for that if you know what I mean Now with a 416 je piston 10.8:1 and with a xr 400 cam for under $300 sounds good, Iif I would get awhole LRD system plus this would I notice a considerable differnece?

I wouldnt reccomend buying a complete exhaust yet! After the piston & cam get a high rev cdi (a.k.a. rev-box) so you can rev to the full potential of the 400, and i would reccomend a 430 piston (428) instead of a 416! it'll cost excatly the same amount of money! so:

#1. WISECO 11:1 88mm piston $120
    #2. XR Cam $200
    #3. WB High rev CDI $110
    #4. 14 tooth front sproket $25

These mods WILL make your 400ex have much more top end, I would strongly suggest a high compression to push the 14 sproket! You will lose some bottom end, but not a whole lot! The cam will rev higher and adds top end, and the CDI lets the motor rev, im unsure if its really needed as bad with the 14 tooth sproket! So anyone with a 14 tooth sproket and motor mods have a problem with the rev-limiter?

And by the way the 400ex header is AWESOME and would be very small performance gain! I wouldnt spend the extra money on a full exhaust intill you got all those mods I listed! Then the complete exhaust will perform to its potential! So hold off on the full exhaust until you do some motor work. So maybe get a full LRD for Christmas! And you can tune it to where your riding (but it'll cost ya $). After that i'd say an eldebrock ($400) or have Curtis Sparks MOD your stock carb for only $150 which would be alot more bang for the buck! Have you done all the basic mods? Like drill out or remove the airbox lid and rejet? Do you ride 100% drag or do other types or riding? If so what kind?

i have a better setup...marcums 416 kit...155....xr250 cdi box....60....xr400 cam....120......fmf powerbomb head pipe ....200...the 14 tooth sproket will be too low so id stick with the 15...throw in some port and polish...50-300 mattering on what kind you want and you'll have a killer set-up

What size stock front sproket does the 400 have? Isnt it a 13? Well anyway go up 1 size, 2 if you only race drag! But port and polish is a good idea, but i never heard of port and polish being lower than $300! I've heard cleaning for like $50 but that doesnt do hardly much compared to a port and polish. I never heard of a xr250 cdi box on a 400, but if it works i'd get it cuz it's only $60! Why does everyone get a 416? A 428ex is the same price and fatser! I would reccomend a header after you bore and put in a cam! But a header does almost nothing on a stock motor!

stock 400 fornt sprocket is a 15...play porting is the term used of 50..the xr box is the same exact box as the WB...and i think anything over 416 is unreliable...the 426 or 428 is still boring over i belive...that is way to much over bore to dissapate heat properly..plus the sleeve will crack easier like on my .80 250r cylinder..thank god that piece never broke off or my motor would be junk

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast