Thread: Bad rings

Hybrid View

Bad rings

I have a 2001 400EX that seems to go through alot of oil. Ihave to add a half quart of oil or so every month or two. My cousin has a 400 with pretty much the same mods that i have and he hasn't done anything with his oil for proly a year. Does this mean i have a bad oil ring on my piston?
    2007 Raptor 700R SE Orange/Black
    2001 400EX SOLD

Re: Bad rings

Originally posted by wi_400EX_2001
    I have a 2001 400EX that seems to go through alot of oil. Ihave to add a half quart of oil or so every month or two. My cousin has a 400 with pretty much the same mods that i have and he hasn't done anything with his oil for proly a year. Does this mean i have a bad oil ring on my piston?
    yes it could mean that ur rings r worn but it could also mean that ur vavle seals r bad. i would bring it to the dealer and have them do a leak test.
    2002 406ex
    Elka triple rate zps shocks with remote rezzies, Laeger +2 a-arms
    Lonestar braided brake lines with billet clamps, Houser +1.25 swingarm
    Burgard +1 steering stem
    Lsr anti-fad locknut, HMF full exhaust, port and polished head, 11:1Wiseco piston,GThunder HD head studs, Hot Rod crank, EBC clutch/ HD springs, Pro armor kill switch, Durablue axle, RAD bearing carrier, AC pro peg nerfs
    IMS ROLL Intimidator bumper
    Maier silver race plastics with carbon hood and K&K seat cover
    18"kenda klaws mounted on itp rolled rims, Tusk billet gas cap

2003 YZ450F: pro taper, factory connection, twin air
    Originally posted by PeeWee21
    Grow up and realize is not the fact of what you ride...it's the fact that you ride!!!!! Come back and talk to me later when your nuts have dropped.

wel a couple thigns sound off in that. your cousin has not done anything to his oil in a year? has he changed it? you should change your oil every 20-30 hours depending on how hard you ride. i change mine about every 15-20, or it equals out to about once a month or every two months.

how ofter do you change your oil? does your quad smoke any? how often do you ride it? need more info before i can say what is going on.
    Tyler Jones

2000 426EX, 11:1 wiseco, hot cams stage 3 "stroker" cam, Ported head done by Dr. G, FCR 41, Hot rods crank, running no base gasket, 1 layer of 3 layer head gasket, Klotz 113 race fuel Feather carbon smoothie hood, works tripples w/ressies, Black HMF slip on, AC pro peg nerfs, Azonic fat bars, burgaurd +1 1/4" swinger, Lonestar +1 stem, douglas yellow label front wheels, Pro Armor front bumper, + some others goodies

AIM: Fourtrax426

Holeshot Motorsports Wilder, KY
    for all aftermarket parts

we usually do alot of riding but i haven't changed it since proly march but i've proly added 2 qts since then. No i doesn't smoke and it isn't leaking oil anywhere.
    2007 Raptor 700R SE Orange/Black
    2001 400EX SOLD

well i would suggest changing it first off. if you do alot of riding and have not changed it since march, you are probably way overdue and the oil is simply breaking down.

to tell if the rings are worn, a compression test will tell you alot, or even just looking at your spark plug will give you some insight as to what is going on.
    Tyler Jones

2000 426EX, 11:1 wiseco, hot cams stage 3 "stroker" cam, Ported head done by Dr. G, FCR 41, Hot rods crank, running no base gasket, 1 layer of 3 layer head gasket, Klotz 113 race fuel Feather carbon smoothie hood, works tripples w/ressies, Black HMF slip on, AC pro peg nerfs, Azonic fat bars, burgaurd +1 1/4" swinger, Lonestar +1 stem, douglas yellow label front wheels, Pro Armor front bumper, + some others goodies

a common cause of oil burning is not only the piston rings, but scores in the bore (lack of lubrication / debris.) This is the case more often than people think.

that is, ofcourse, if it's consuming oil and being burned in the combustion chamber. if there is NO SMOKE, you must be leaking oil
    HONDA 400EX SOLD!
    YAMAHA WOLVERINE 4X4 SOLD!
    YAMAHA RAPTOR 660R

"Whoever said nothing is impossible, never tried slamming a revolving door"

Originally posted by DieselBoy
    a common cause of oil burning is not only the piston rings, but scores in the bore (lack of lubrication / debris.) This is the case more often than people think.

that is, ofcourse, if it's consuming oil and being burned in the combustion chamber. if there is NO SMOKE, you must be leaking oil
    well scores int eh bore are usally caused by lack of lubrication, which in turn will destroy your rings and piston.

and he may be burning oil, but at a slow enough rate it is undetected. actually ALL engines burn some oil, it is something that cannot be helped but it is usually in small quanities that go un-noticed between oil changes. i am not sure about quads, but GM says taht up to 1/2 quart of oil consumed in a V-6 in 1000 miles is normal
    Tyler Jones