Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Never have a swinger bolt SEIZE again

Originally posted by wilkin250r
    Anti-sieze seems to be a common suggestion. Trust me, it's not enough back east.

The anti-sieze will work well for a short period of time, if you want to disassemble again in three weeks, the anti-sieze will allow your bolt to come out with ease.

But the anti-sieze won't last forever. If you're riding constant water and mud, you need to re-apply. THIS is the benefit of the holes and grease zerk. It allows you to re-apply new grease to the problem areas without actually disassembling.
    yup yup
    250R's...... "they gots bite wiff dat bark !!!" R's are fo sand bars.....

'86 TRX250R (265)
    '86 TRX250R (250)
    '86 TRX250R (CT310) WIP
    '86 TRX250R (250)
    '89 TRX250R (WIP)
    '88 Blastee (WIP)

it takes a whole 5 minutes to pull the bolt, clean, grease and re-install. yes that might be a good temp fix, but it isn't the solve all solution. i take mine out ever 3-4 races and spray liberally with wd-40 before every race/ride. seems to work great for me. i am also running a stainless steel solid bolt so this wouldn't work for me either.

Greg
    2011 Sponsors

FLY Racing
    BK Performance
    Condons Auto Parts

Originally posted by wilkin250r
    Anti-sieze seems to be a common suggestion. Trust me, it's not enough back east.

The anti-sieze will work well for a short period of time, if you want to disassemble again in three weeks, the anti-sieze will allow your bolt to come out with ease.

But the anti-sieze won't last forever. If you're riding constant water and mud, you need to re-apply. THIS is the benefit of the holes and grease zerk. It allows you to re-apply new grease to the problem areas without actually disassembling.

How east are we talkin... i live in PA and anti. works great for me... coat that damn thing!!!!

But im also sure that the Greese idea works great if u want to do it that way... Nice idea

I don't think the grease is a bad idea but keep in mind if you're greasing it enough to push the grease past the seals, you're also allowing a place for water and dirt to enter. A seals purpose is to keep the grease in and contaminants out. When you push grease past the seals lip you're defeating it's purpose. Just something to keep in mind
    2004 Honda 450R

1998 Suzuki LTF500 4wd

2004 Suzuki 50

1985 Yamaha Tri-Z (stock)

2008 Kawasaki Teryx

2005 Honda CRF70

if you ride in alot of deep mud and water.. you can also do that zerk mod at the axle point on the swingarm.. so you can greese the heck out of it a keep.. Ive seen someone that had that..
    Thanks to my fans my name is an Anthem..

Live Life..Do one thing a day that scares you

Xbox360Live GamerTag = Upgrayed
    Playstation 3 GamerTag = U-p-g-r-a-y-e-d

ive never had a problem with the swingarm bolt on my blaster. i just repaced the berrings for the first time and it cam out with a few taps with a hammer.
    White 06 YFZ Full HMF

2000 Yamaha Blaster
    LRD, UNI, Carbon tech, RAZR, DG, Durablue, twin row carrier,30mm oko, reed spacer, injecter block off....

Stock 1987 250x

Originally posted by Stein2088
    How east are we talkin... i live in PA and anti. works great for me... coat that damn thing!!!!
    Im another Pennsylvanian that uses anti-seize on EVERYTHING. I'm a maintence-man at a large company and we anti-seize most everything. The stuff is expensive, but damn it works well. My swingarm pivot bolts have had anti-seize on em for along time and I ride ALOT, and the bolts always break loose easily. But then again, I dissasemble the whole quad every winter. Id guess the anti-seize would wear away after a few seasons with no service done to the bolt.

When I saw this thread, i was screamin in my head "just use anti-seize!!"

the biggest/main reason i prefere the grease zerk method (not saying that anti seize method isnt a good idea) is the fact that that during the warm months my quad see's 2' of water at least 1 day of the weekend, all day long. sometimes 2 days. water will find its way in there and STAYs.

shooting grease in there forces all the water out.
    250R's...... "they gots bite wiff dat bark !!!" R's are fo sand bars.....

'86 TRX250R (265)
    '86 TRX250R (250)
    '86 TRX250R (CT310) WIP
    '86 TRX250R (250)
    '89 TRX250R (WIP)
    '88 Blastee (WIP)

I thought I replied to this before but I guess not. The bolt mod is alot better! Just pulling the bolt and greasing/ anti- seizing it will not lube your needle bearings in the swingarm, and they'll eventually get dry and fall apart! By drilling the bolt and sleeves it greases everything this way.
    some of my rides:
    a Highly modded 86 MX 250R with more than I care to list!

96 XC 300EX

01 XC 400EX

86 250R chassis w/ 95 EX motor
    and other quads still to list!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast