Thread: Head Cover Bolts

Head Cover Bolts

I was polishing my engine today and I noticed one of the bolts on the cover that covers the cam and valves was loose. When I go to tighten it, it doesnt tighten, but it doesnt feel stripped. I pulled the screw all the way out and the threads looked fine. I dont know what to do. Should I just put some loc tite on it and screw it back in the best I can or is it ok the way it is?

i think i would investigate why its not tightening. might be the wrong length in there
    2005 trx 450r

I am positive its the right length. Its one of the bolts that is really long and goes to the base of the head. I dont want to have to tear the whole engine apart to find out what the problem is unless its serious and must be done.

The bolt threads may not be stripped but the threads in the head probably are.
    ATVRiders Janitorial Technician

!!!!!DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!!!!

Those soft aluminium threads have to be treated right, or out they come
    2000 400ex 11:1 Wiseco,stage 2 Hotcam, WB R4 full exhaust,WB rev box, K&N/OW, 450r carb, no lid, +2 a-arms,Works shocks,GForce axle,chrome stem,fat bars,250r hood, brake blockoff, ASV clutch lever, race cut fender.

2003 Cr250 White plastics, V Force 3 reed cage.

Yeah. I had a feeling it was stripped in the head. How would I fix that? Take the head off and re tap it?

when i had some stripped i took them to a local mechanic and he welded up the holes with aluminum and then retapped them and they were good as new
    2005 trx 450r

I got mine heli coiled. Its a stainless insert and there is more surface area to grap on to. Havnt had a problem since.

Alright thanks guys for the info. I will prob have that stainless insert added. Was it expensive?

You could prob get it done by a machine shop cheaper than buying the kit yourself. I think the kit is around $30, but a machine shop would prob do it for around $10.