Thread: 300EX Valve Adjustment?

Question 300EX Valve Adjustment?

a few days ago I adjusted the valves on my 2002 300EX becouse they started tapping kinda loud. I set them to .004 clearence useing a tappet feller gage I got from Chapparral motorsports. I made sure that the locknuts were tight, and that the rockers were both loose before making the adjustments, it was on the compression stroke like it's supposed to be. Well, now when you first start it you can still hear the tapping, but its not verry loud at all, you have to put your head right next to the motor to hear it, but when it gets warmed up, it taps louder that it did before. Is this normal? please help.

Thanks.

Question Hello, anyone out there????

Help please, someone, anyone???

Both of mine do that. I have a 96, and a 98 300ex. When I did my first valve adjustment, and started up the motor, I heard the slight sound of ticking as well. Luckly the 98 had just come back from the shop with a new top end so I was able to compare the two. I think you are fine. Just remember that it is better to be a little loose than a little tight.

You know how it is when you do your first bit of engine work. Parinoia sets in. Did I do it right? Is it supposed to sound like that? Did I tighten it enough/too much? Is it supposed to smoke like that? :grr Yep, all is good!

Talking Thanks!

Thanks for the help. I was beginning to worry if I did it right or not, I guess I did. I guess that is kinda a stupid question, becouse you may only have a .004 gap there, but anytime you have a gap that gets closed verry quickly, like a rocker arm hitting the top of a valve, you're gonna have some noise!!!...lol!