Thread: 300ex - Wiseco back to Honda piston

300ex - Wiseco back to Honda piston

i'm replacing the piston and rings in a 98 300ex. Currently it has a Wiseco (stock bore) and rings (mukini carb, cam, FMF mega 2, no limit CDI).

I'm seriously considering going back to a Honda piston (.025 over) and rings. I'm tired of mixing premium pump gas and octane boost and locating race fuel has proved to be a nightmare. It would be so nice to just run down to the gas station and fill er up, not to mention the times when we couldn't ride because i forgot to buy boost.

My question is how much will we really lose by going back to a Honda piston? We're not racing, just riding trails and on backyard type tracks.

THX
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Worlds most expensive 98 300EX, Wiseco 11:1 .040 over, mild cam, Dial-a-jet, Uni Filter, FMF MegaMax II, no limit CDI box, "holy" airbox, 400ex a-arms/shocks, Perma-Cool oil cooler
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Piston doesn`t matter it`s what Compression you run. Get a JE if they make them for 300ex`s.
    Thanks for the Support: Maier, Moto-Xperts, Rekluse, Teixeira Tech, Fox Racing Shox, BK Performance, DWT, Rath Racing, Quadtech, Streamline Brakes, Precision Racing Products, PowerMadd, Spider Grips, ASV Inventions, IMS Products, CV4, UNI.

any other pistons makers for the 300ex?

well, and correct me if i'm wrong...Wiseco is the only one making a piston for the 300ex, and its 11:1 comp. JE or Ross do not make pistons for the 300EX. A stock Honda is 8.9:1 comp.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Worlds most expensive 98 300EX, Wiseco 11:1 .040 over, mild cam, Dial-a-jet, Uni Filter, FMF MegaMax II, no limit CDI box, "holy" airbox, 400ex a-arms/shocks, Perma-Cool oil cooler
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Email Sparks and ask them what kind of Pistons they use in the 300ex.
    Thanks for the Support: Maier, Moto-Xperts, Rekluse, Teixeira Tech, Fox Racing Shox, BK Performance, DWT, Rath Racing, Quadtech, Streamline Brakes, Precision Racing Products, PowerMadd, Spider Grips, ASV Inventions, IMS Products, CV4, UNI.

PRO-X pistons

anyone familiar with Pro-X pistons that Dennis Kirk sells? what's the comp on those?

Sparks didn't have much to say to help.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well I have heard very good things about Pro-X. You should be able to choose your Compression. Just call a Engine Builder up and ask. I`m not sure what Pistons Duncan runs.

hmmm, well you dont need race fuel at 11:1!
    2000 440EX GT Thunder 440 and Cam, Black Diamond oversized valves, Edelbrock Qwiksilver Bored for 440, Elka's (front) Mac Daddy in back, +1,+.5 Houser A-arms, Black (not so shiny anymore, dont get it!) Maier

LSR Axle, Big GUN, Duncan +2 steering stem, Pro Tapers, Magura Hydraulic Clutch, Cycra Pro-bends, AC Nerfs, Douglas Red Labels, XC's, CEET Seat Cover.

It would be smart to at least mix the Gas. Half Race, Half Pump.
    Last edited by Dave400ex; 08-14-2002 at 03:13 PM.

You mean mix not miss..

You can tell when your bike is pinging caused by lack of octane. You will know. Ask a pro. Call Mickey Dunlap at 4-stroke tech. GT Thunder, Sparks, anyone. They'll all tell you the same, pump gas is fine for 11:1.

Just have fun. Thats the most important thing.
    2000 440EX GT Thunder 440 and Cam, Black Diamond oversized valves, Edelbrock Qwiksilver Bored for 440, Elka's (front) Mac Daddy in back, +1,+.5 Houser A-arms, Black (not so shiny anymore, dont get it!) Maier

LSR Axle, Big GUN, Duncan +2 steering stem, Pro Tapers, Magura Hydraulic Clutch, Cycra Pro-bends, AC Nerfs, Douglas Red Labels, XC's, CEET Seat Cover.