Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Why does it seem Polaris Gets such a bad rep?

It is so nice to hear some who can give more info then i don't like them an everone I know who has one it is broke. That is the answer I here all the time. I racing MX on my Pred an it work good for me. I hang right with the 450 on the starts an run in the top 5. But most of the guys im racing are between 16 an 28 an in 39 an a litle over weight. You are right about the rider too. May be Polaris will get into the 450 market now they have KTM part of there company.
    1995 TB 250 MXracer Sport class champion 2003,2003 Predator500 nerfs cdi box streering stabilizer,K&N, 2004 Vet class champion,1998 Scrambler 400 4X4 , 2005 Sportsman 700 efi.

Owning an 05 troy lee model it has a shorter swing arm and closer gearing, this thing is torquey and if you suddenly loose traction then catch it again that could be bad. I like the look of the predator, it reminds me of that huge robot thing on the game metal gear. My friends 03 has some problems with the rear caliper making noise but mine don't. I do hate the fact that I bent my frame on a tree when it should of bent a tie rod or rim. I do like that comes with nice shocks, rear tapered bearing carrier, and huge axle that weighs like 30 pounds. I hate how they have the air box setup, the snorkel is way to small in my opinion, it seems like it is starving the motor of air, they should of at least made the snorkel the same diameter as the carburetor intake. For being the heaviest of the sport quads the rear end seems loose which is nice in some cases. Overall the predator is a great quad, with a few modifications to the air box and a new pipe, maybe a gusseted frame its a great machine.
    2005 Troy Lee Predator.
    HMF Sport Series Exhaust.
    Razor2s.
    Gusseted Metallic black frame.
    Fox float shox.
    Rest in peace my brother CLB 1975 - 2006

I think that KTM will vastly help Polaris in the engine department. The current 500 motor can make gobs of power, but it is a very large engine(not just is cc's but in actuall size) KTM engines are compact and make lots of good power. In fact KTM engines are known to be more powerfull that their jap conterparts. KTM also makes very high quailty components. I raced bikes for years and I always rode hondas, but if I go back to bikes I will be riding a KTM. I am impressed with their build quailty and component selection. Who knows if KTM and Polaris come out with a 450 I may be on one of those! I am not biased toward brands. There are too many factors to think of other than its Red, Blue, Yellow or whatever color and manufacturer!
    05 TRX450R
    JD Performance +2 a-arms
    LSR +3 axle
    Douglas Ultimate Beadlocks
    Maxxis Razr MX front and rear tires
    R.A.D axle locknut
    40MM FCR carb with Noss Adapter
    Hotcams Stage 2 cam
    Sparks Racing filter kit
    Free HRC kit mods
    SRP fuel screw
    Dr D. Race slip-on
    Trail Tech bar mounts
    Renthal Twinwall Bars
    Works Connection alum. throttle tube
    ASV C5 unbrakeable clutch lever
    Maier vented hood
    PE brake block off
    Pro Armor tether switch
    CRF push button kill switch
    AC nerf bars
    GT Thunder revaled suspension

Rumor has it that they are exchanging stuff now an that on word is the pred get the 450 an outlaw the 525. It is a rumor an have to wait for the truth. I know the 450 motor is 30lbs lighter then the 500. This info was from a Polaris rep. One of the people on a fourm got a call from then on his thought on the outlaw an he asked about the 450 an they said they know an it is lighter to. Nothing wrong with having 5 companys all in the 450 wars now that Kawi has there own coming out look intressting to.
    1995 TB 250 MXracer Sport class champion 2003,2003 Predator500 nerfs cdi box streering stabilizer,K&N, 2004 Vet class champion,1998 Scrambler 400 4X4 , 2005 Sportsman 700 efi.

I couldn't agree more. I hope if they do use a KTM motor they use the new double over head cam engine like what is in the 07 450sxf. It should be very interesting. And only advances the performance of all quads. Competition is good!
    05 TRX450R
    JD Performance +2 a-arms
    LSR +3 axle
    Douglas Ultimate Beadlocks
    Maxxis Razr MX front and rear tires
    R.A.D axle locknut
    40MM FCR carb with Noss Adapter
    Hotcams Stage 2 cam
    Sparks Racing filter kit
    Free HRC kit mods
    SRP fuel screw
    Dr D. Race slip-on
    Trail Tech bar mounts
    Renthal Twinwall Bars
    Works Connection alum. throttle tube
    ASV C5 unbrakeable clutch lever
    Maier vented hood
    PE brake block off
    Pro Armor tether switch
    CRF push button kill switch
    AC nerf bars
    GT Thunder revaled suspension

yeah, when you think about it the sport ATV market has come along way just in the last 5 years or so. the more media and interest in the race scene translates into manufacturers competing to make a stellar machine. this makes it interesting for the consumer because there are so many great machines to buy!

it will deffinetly be interesting to see what polaris and ktm have in store for a race bike...the new kawasaki is supposed to be pretty crazy too! im also willing to bet yamaha will put EFI in the yfz for 07, which will hopefully make Honda up their game as well.
    ~2008 YFZ~
    Pro Armor, Houser, Maxxis, Streamline

#621 WNYOA Harescramble Series
    www.wnyoa.net

Sponsors: Steel MX, Weapon MX, WolffRacing

www.steelmx.com
    www.weaponmx.com

Not that anyone knows, but the motor in the PRed now happens to be of high quality, and for who those who care ill give u the run down. The motor is not built by Polaris, which may be a good thing, i dont know. The motor is built by Fuji, heavy industries, which also is the same motor manufacturer as Subaru in cars.
    Subaru happens to make some of the best engines in the world, reliable as they perform well too.......which i think the predator engine mirrors those qualities.
    Most of the people here complain about the little things, which in all honesty is the same with any other quad, because they vibrate and they have a lot of torque.....you simply cannot avoid having things shake loose, which brings me to my point.
    I have had a lot of luck with my PRed, which is because i maintain it religiously, as you should with all machines that have the amount of torque to weight ratio as a sport atv has.
    I find the finish of the pred to be pretty darn good compared with the countless amount of atvs ive had in the past. My banshee hands down had to be the worst at fit and finish, as it was ALWAYS breaking, spent more time fixing it then riding it, even though it was all worthwhile at the time.
    Weather anyone agrees with me here is not important, but I think we are all spoiled with the quads of today. The quads of yesterday (and atc's) were a nightmare when it came to reliability
    they were ALWAYS breaking down, and the fit and finish would make u laugh compared to the atvs of today.
    So be happy with what you get for your money, and enjoy the riding, and most importantly do reg maintenance after EVERY ride.
    Not wait until something jars loose to fix it and you will be a HAPPY camper on whatever u have. Thanks for listening.

good write up man!
    ~2008 YFZ~

www.wnyoa.net

www.steelmx.com
    www.weaponmx.com

haha...i agree
    2002 660 Raptor *FOR SALE*

GYTR Bumper
    Rear Razr's
    White Fenders
    Modded Air-Box Lid
    Tusk Rotor
    Primary Drive Kit

**New stock fenders for sale**
    ~~PM me!

^^^ Post whore

ha...im just raggin on ya, i sometimes do the same thing.
    ~2008 YFZ~

www.wnyoa.net

www.steelmx.com
    www.weaponmx.com

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast