Thread: Raptor 700 or yfz 450 for me???

Raptor 700 or yfz 450 for me???

OK I'm a big aggresive rider, 6"1 250 lbs that rides dunes at Glamis fast and hard. My predator is showing its age after a couple of years of hauling me around. MYy question is..... Is a Rappy or yfz going to be a better choice for my style of riding and size??
    06 YFZ, Alba exhaust, K&N, nerfs, trailtech x-bars, trailtech torch lights, trailtech HID lights, ac full body skid plate, one industries graphics, TCS front shocks, TCS rear shock rebuild, Alba +2 a-arms, alba bumper, AC cooler rack. ITP C9 wheels, sandskate 1 paddles, GBC dune runner fronts, Precision stabilizer, Alba porting, cam mod

???
    06 YFZ, Alba exhaust, K&N, nerfs, trailtech x-bars, trailtech torch lights, trailtech HID lights, ac full body skid plate, one industries graphics, TCS front shocks, TCS rear shock rebuild, Alba +2 a-arms, alba bumper, AC cooler rack. ITP C9 wheels, sandskate 1 paddles, GBC dune runner fronts, Precision stabilizer, Alba porting, cam mod

While not an expert I will give you my opinion. We are about the same size. I have ridden both machines and I chose the 700r. The 450 does have a superior suspension for racing but I actually like my suspension a little softer. The big reason though was TORQUE. The 450 is really close speed wise but I really have to work the gears to get that speed. On the 700 it comes much easier. I don't race on tracks and mainly ride in the dunes here in Oregon. The 700 has been a perfect fit and if you really like a stiff suspension you can actually mount up the yfz front shocks to your raptor. Just my $.02.

Craig,

i agree... for you i would go with the 700r...

i personally like the 450, cuz i like more of the sport bike and at 5'8'' 170lbs i dont have a probelm feeling cramped on the YFZ... however, i have talked with many people that are bigger than i am, and they didnt like the 450 for the sole reason they felt cramped on it and what not... of course raising the steering stem a bit does a lot, but....

but yah that torque and everything would be good for you as well...

i'd get a 700 is i was you
    06 YFZ450
    1988 TRX 250R
    2001 XR 50
    1984 Honda 200S
    1776 Turbo Sandrail

For your size, I would say the 700R would be more comfortable size wise, and power wise. Just my $.02!
    2002 660 Raptor *FOR SALE*

GYTR Bumper
    Rear Razr's
    White Fenders
    Modded Air-Box Lid
    Tusk Rotor
    Primary Drive Kit

**New stock fenders for sale**
    ~~PM me!

Tough decision. I'm leaning towards the yfz because of the power band, I like a snappy rev happy motor. It's the one thing I like about my Pred. I have ridden the 660 raptor alot in the dunes, and it climbs everthing. My problem with it is when I gun it, it takes awhile to rev up, and I want it to rev right now. Plus the crazy *******s I ride with, ride glamis like a MX track. There is no taking it easy with these guys. It is always balls to the wall, fifth gear pinned coming out of the bowls. I'll just get a longer steering stem and lower the foot pegs. With the cam mod and bolt on stuff, I should be fast enough.

yah... that is a tough decision...

with the raptor you can always drop that front sprocket a tooth and that helps with the "snappiness." im not way familiar with the 700, but i imagine it is the same... and yah, raising that sterring stem and inch or two works wonders...

ive never seen a big guy on a yfz though... i'd be curious to know how it worked out for ya, but im sure if you set it up right it would do just fine...
    06 YFZ450
    1988 TRX 250R
    2001 XR 50
    1984 Honda 200S
    1776 Turbo Sandrail

I have a Raptor 700 and a TRX450R...so it's fairly similar to the yfz vs. Rappy...If you want a high revving "hit" the YFZ is your ticket. The 700 begs to be short shifted and makes tons of low torque. Similar to a big block. I use the analogy of Ferrari Enzo(TRX/YFZ) vs. Big Block AC Cobra(Raptor700). The TRX or YFZ's are also much more tossible than the Rappy. The new rappy is an improvement over the 660 in handling but still a notch below the YFZ/TRX. All that said the new raptors engine is already being modded to make some impressive #'s. One of my Raptors has a +4 axle, +2 A-arms, axis shocks, LTE exhaust, power commander, intake, ported head and cp piston and it makes the 700 into a GREAT cruiser. Very easy for anyone to ride to 8/10'ths. For 10/10ths all around thrashing I bring out the TRX.

osm
    04 TRX 510r Pinnit / Walshracecraft
    86 esr 330pv lrd alum. frame
    89 CBR 900rr powered lt 500
    06 Raptor 700
    06 Raptor 700

well

Do ya want 2stoke like power shift all the time or big *** 4 stoke power shift if you feel like it.I got the 700 6,2 310 fits me perfect and hauls ***. full skid plates,shock covers,more to come.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Get the Raptor 700