Thread: stock 400 what should i do to get started and what do i need

stock 400 what should i do to get started and what do i need

I want to start raceing next summer and i need to know what to do and what i would need to start . i want to start mx not tt or like the baja. So tell me what you know thanks!.:devil

A good set of handlebars, nerfs, kill switch to start. Maybe get some MX tires to help on the handling,,,there's a lot of things you can get to help,,,too many to list,,,look below at my signature,,,that's a good list,,,but you can run a stock bike and get by,,,,but the nerfs,,kill switch, and handlebars are almost a must..reason I say handlebars is I've bent 2 sets of stocker bars just from landing from a jump,,,I guess I could loose some weight too.....

Marysville, OH Northern Cambria, PA (hometown)
    ricos got it pretty much covered there the only things i say u must have are a set of nerfs and teather switch and headlight covers those are mandatory... some things that will help u out would be a gripper seat, better bars, better tires smaller size 18x11x8. u don't need any of these but it will help u. u can go out on a stock 400ex and smoke 330rs it all depends on the rider and how big ur ballz are. if u really got some money to sink into ur quad buy shocks, a-arms, axles, brake lines, je piston, xr 400 cam, k&n filter, and lots more. these are not nessary but u will probably do much better wit them the only thing about racing is its a money game. i raced on a my 80 and i will never forget my first race i was sittin waiting to go out for practice and my buddy on a rm125 hits a jump right next to me come up short he knew it so he bailed in the air hit the ground and the bike did 2 flips and bent renthal twin walls like nuttin supposed to be un bendable. u will love racing so many good memories of stuff i could go on forever. u will remeber it forever.
    2009 Cbr600RR Phoenix

WE ARE PENN STATE!!!!!!

well i ran my first race on a stock 400 with a pro circuit slip on and k&n filter, bald rear tires, no rear brakes and managed 5th out of 13 over all...so you really don't need anything other that a kill switch and nerfs......and helmet and stuff but i'd wait before you go and dump abunch of $$ into your quad and race a few times too see if you like it
    06 YFZ 450..all white... LRD pipe, jet kit, lid removed, cam mod

LT JB front end and Ohlins shocks coming before june.

don't forget to buy some good riding gear...safty is number one

3punksdad's trash removal service
    Last edited by 4punksdad; 10-20-2001 at 05:12 PM.

Basically what I'd reccomend is a pair of comfortable handlebars (even if they're the stock bars), a Motion Pro tether kill switch, headlight covers, nerf bars, an exhaust, +2 a-arms, and a +4 axle. Also, LOTS of practice. The more experience you have under your belt, the better you'll do despite your mods.

The more experience you have under your belt, the better you'll do despite your mods.
    Funny! That's what she said too!

Get ready to strap the next size nuts on. Good luck bro, I hope you do well.