Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Utility Racers only in WPSA all -terrain challenge, Pro's OUT ?????

Utility Racers only in WPSA all -terrain challenge, Pro's OUT ?????

Well, I guess I will just have to put it out on the line and say it like it should be. I have been racing utilities since 2001 and have got no recognition for it at all. Yes, I did win the GNCC utility stock title last year, but what do you really get for it from Racer Productions. If I told you , you would laugh. Finally, someone has come up with an idea that utility quad racing can be bigger and better than the GNCC. The difference being that we get no exposure from XC. I am yet to have a TV camera put in my face. Unless you have won a championship 11 years in a row, no one knows who you are. If someone besides Mr. Ballance wins this year, do you think it will be made a big deal, hell yes, but not for us. It is the same all year round.
    Yes winning a championship does help with the sponsors , but I still paid $7000 for my machine and all the upkeep comes out of my pocket. My add on items are the only items that are taken care of by my sponsors. Unfortunately, those items never break.
    So here I am, five years into racing and finally the opportunity that I have been and all other utility riders have been waiting for. The chance to be famous like Bill Ballance, William Yokley, Chris Borich, Daryll Rath, and all the others that you watch in the spotlight week after week racing Pro. Breaking it big in the Utility racing market is not easy at all. There is not a begging need for this type of racing until now. So here we are, myself, Scott Kilby , Kevin Johnston, Jim Stack, Michael Swift, Cliff Beasley and all the others that suffer through the terrain on a 700 pound plus machine. Not because we have too, but because of the love for it. Now we are given the chance to finally make some money and put ourselves up into the spotlight and it seems that the Pro riders are now , because there is money involved, (which they already have by the looks of their rigs and 4 to 5 quads they bring to a race), going to step in a march their way through our parade. We have earned the right to be the grand marshalls here. We are the ones who have bought the machines, destroyed the machines and spend every last dime we have just getting it back together to go out there in the woods every two weeks and have nothing but a wooden plaque to stack up in the corner of a room. We aren't making any money out here, and we sure as hell don't get to be in the spotlight, EVER. We deserve this shot to be the top in our field just like all the pro's have the chance in theirs. I can't just jump on a sport quad and be a pro tomorrow, so why should they get to come into our field of expertise and take our money and glory from us. I just don't feel that this is right at all. This is my one shot to make it big, there aren't going to be other chances like this. They have already succeeded in their quest to be the best. Now it is our turn to have a little slice of the same glory that all of you have been getting through all of these years. It is not that all of you or even some of you will win at these races, the point is that this is our world, we started it, we stayed with it, and we dam sure earned it. Thank you to WPSA for believing that utility racing is more than just a hunk of wood.
    2001-2004 Student of the Arts
    2005 GNCC Utility Stock Champion
    2006 Factory Arctic Cat
    2007 PQR Racing/High Energy Kymco Member
    2008 Kymco Factory Race Team
    2009 High Energy Racing-Can Am 800R
    2010 Can AM X Team

Since I do believe your post was directed to us- I do believe it is called Pro class- also I will give you a little history lesson - becasue in the greater scheme of things 5 years is a drop in the hat-

Daryl is and has been racing for 22 years yes that is YEARS. If you want to talk about wooden plaques in the corner we filled that corner years ago- and yes we still race for wooden plaques at some events, and we are still buying our bikes.

He has won championships in MX - TT - Ice Racing - he has competed in Cross country- 12 hours of America- Enduro- Supermoto- Stadium cross and more. I think it is fair to say he 's well rounded in racing- so are you trying to say riders are only allowed to race one type of racing? Pick your class and stay there?

As for factory involvement- look at the large picture. They are involved becasue they feel there is a future.

I don't understand..... Was this a question? A moral build up? A promotion for this new series.....?

I did follow that you feel wronged by the Racer Productions / GNCC's. But, how do you think 95% of the rest of the people that race the GNCC's feel? The MASS population of ANY racing series does it strictly for the fun of it. I guess I just don't understand the post.
    Thanks to my 2010 sponsors/supporters:
    CV4
    BNR Motorsports
    GT Thunder
    Spider Grips
    Scott USA
    Powermadd

"I can do all things through Christ Jesus who strengthens me"

From what i have read, some of the MX pros are also looking to cash in on that utility quad Pro payout......and the WPSA has not decided whether or not to allow them to cross over to the Ute competition or not - I hear they are taking input before they make that decision - perhaps if you write to them and let them know how you feel about THAT Particular issue, it will help them in making that decision. As for the Pro Ute racers racing in that class - seems to me that's just what that class is for.......do they have an Amateur class for the Ute's? If not, perhaps you could write the WPSA and ask for one, so that everyone can get a little recognition? Either way, I think it's awesome you Ute racers are going to get exposure - that's a crazy class to race in - and it's been underexposed for far too long.....I know I won't ride one of those things - you guys are nuts!!
    Corry Weller

#801 SR1 - Lucas Oil Series
    #29 2009 YFZ450R

www.wellerracing.com

"Should riders stick to their own disipline?"

Ok- this makes it interesting- should riders stick to their own discipline? If the answer is yes- THEN lets take it all the way across the board-

1- No more MX racers on a TT Track
    2- No more MX racers on the Cross Country Track
    3- No more GNCC Sport class Pro Riders in the Quad Terrian
    4- Women should have to stay in the Women’s class
    5- No MX –TT racers in the 12 hour ( to close to Cross Country)
    6- No more TT riders on MX – or cross country- or Quad Terrian
    7- No GNCC UT racers in the GNCC sport class
    8- WORCS/ Quad Cross riders stay on your side- Ellis pick a series
    and on..and on
    The next step should be once seated a pro in the Nationals GNC/GNCC ATVA riders should not be able to compete in any non-sanctioned local races , stadium events, or any similar venue.

Oh yeah and then once you become seated in the WPSA you better not be able to go back to the GNC/GNCC either.
    HOPEFULLY – everyone can sense the sarcasm of this post I am not serious!!!

I would have this same opinion even if we didn’t happen to win- for the fact I would have this opinion even if we do not compete again.

Re: Utility Racers only in WPSA all -terrain challenge, Pro's OUT ?????

Originally posted by Ken Robey
    Well, I guess I will just have to put it out on the line and say it like it should be. I have been racing utilities since 2001 and have got no recognition for it at all. Yes, I did win the GNCC utility stock title last year, but what do you really get for it from Racer Productions. If I told you , you would laugh. Finally, someone has come up with an idea that utility quad racing can be bigger and better than the GNCC. The difference being that we get no exposure from XC. I am yet to have a TV camera put in my face. Unless you have won a championship 11 years in a row, no one knows who you are. If someone besides Mr. Ballance wins this year, do you think it will be made a big deal, hell yes, but not for us. It is the same all year round.
    Yes winning a championship does help with the sponsors , but I still paid $7000 for my machine and all the upkeep comes out of my pocket. My add on items are the only items that are taken care of by my sponsors. Unfortunately, those items never break.
    So here I am, five years into racing and finally the opportunity that I have been and all other utility riders have been waiting for. The chance to be famous like Bill Ballance, William Yokley, Chris Borich, Daryll Rath, and all the others that you watch in the spotlight week after week racing Pro. Breaking it big in the Utility racing market is not easy at all. There is not a begging need for this type of racing until now. So here we are, myself, Scott Kilby , Kevin Johnston, Jim Stack, Michael Swift, Cliff Beasley and all the others that suffer through the terrain on a 700 pound plus machine. Not because we have too, but because of the love for it. Now we are given the chance to finally make some money and put ourselves up into the spotlight and it seems that the Pro riders are now , because there is money involved, (which they already have by the looks of their rigs and 4 to 5 quads they bring to a race), going to step in a march their way through our parade. We have earned the right to be the grand marshalls here. We are the ones who have bought the machines, destroyed the machines and spend every last dime we have just getting it back together to go out there in the woods every two weeks and have nothing but a wooden plaque to stack up in the corner of a room. We aren't making any money out here, and we sure as hell don't get to be in the spotlight, EVER. We deserve this shot to be the top in our field just like all the pro's have the chance in theirs. I can't just jump on a sport quad and be a pro tomorrow, so why should they get to come into our field of expertise and take our money and glory from us. I just don't feel that this is right at all. This is my one shot to make it big, there aren't going to be other chances like this. They have already succeeded in their quest to be the best. Now it is our turn to have a little slice of the same glory that all of you have been getting through all of these years. It is not that all of you or even some of you will win at these races, the point is that this is our world, we started it, we stayed with it, and we dam sure earned it. Thank you to WPSA for believing that utility racing is more than just a hunk of wood.
    i totally understand were you are coming from.but,i think you need to stop crying about it and step up your riding game to be able run the pace that daryl is running. with alittle practice and determination you'll be running his pace in no time.good luck w/ future races!!!

I am not debating the fact that your husband is one hell of racer. I have heard very good things about him. The only thing that I am pointing out is that he is not a utility rider and therefore you should not cash in on their 15 seconds of fame. Was he racing the utes before the money came into play? If indeed he was, and this is what he has spent his career on, then you have my apology. I am not the only person that has posed this question in the last week, I am the messenger that got to put it down in words. Hopefully my backup will arrive sometime. I guess that beating the best in the country is the best way to get that 15 seconds. If that is what we have to do, then we will all do it.
    2006 Factory Arctic Cat
    2010 Can AM X Team

So in other words you don't want anyone thats faster than you to be able to race your class......??

lmao..... Come on man. Suck it up and either get fast, or take your finish with pride. If hes riding the same class quad as you and beats you hes obviously just a better rider than you. Your class is designated by make/model, not skill level. I understand your frustration, but if you came here looking for pitty you came to the wrong place.

If hes riding a Utility, then hes a "utility" rider.
    Thanks to my 2010 sponsors/supporters:
    CV4
    BNR Motorsports
    GT Thunder
    Spider Grips
    Scott USA
    Powermadd

"I can do all things through Christ Jesus who strengthens me"

This is turning into a allstar IROC type race for atv's.Great idea.

You're not getting the point and that is fine. If you do understand then maybe you shouldn't comment. Here was the question as stated:
    William Yokely leads Scott Kilby through the technical telephone pole section. This brings up a controversial point. Should established pro riders be allowed to compete in the QuadTerrain class? Let us know what you think here.

What's more, we've found that pro riders like John Natalie, Doug Gust, Chris Borich, Bill Ballance among others are preparing for battle at the next round in Macon, GA. This brings us to the question -- should pro riders be forced to race within their own discipline, leaving more opportunity for fame and fortune for others? Or is it even more luring for an average rider to race with champions John Natalie on his right and Bill Ballance to his left?

WPSA is currently contemplating this very question. They would love to hear your point of view on this, and frankly - so would we. Speak your mind here.

Sounds like Rath went crying.
    2006 Factory Arctic Cat
    2010 Can AM X Team

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast