Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Take a peek..making sure this is OK...cam chain

Take a peek..making sure this is OK...cam chain

Just making sure this is OK. This is a CRF450 cam chain on a 400ex. It doesn't go all the way down onto the sprocket teeth. I don't really remember how the stocker looked.

Glamis
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NEW RIDE.....
    Houser Framed '02 CRF450 Hybrid. Powdercoated gold, chrome Houser sub-frame, Houser +4 no-link swingarm, +2 houser a arms, Houser stem, Tag T2 bars, +4 Dominator2 axle, Elka rear shock, Fox Float front shocks, Hardkore hubs, Dream waterpump cover, Dream clutch cover, Fullbore plastic, AC Pro-pegs,braided brake lines, and more....

Re: Take a peek..making sure this is OK...cam chain

Originally posted by Glamis400ex
    Just making sure this is OK. This is a CRF450 cam chain on a 400ex. It doesn't go all the way down onto the sprocket teeth. I don't really remember how the stocker looked.

Glamis
    Im pretty sure thats how its NOT supposed to be. And look at your timing marks, they are off.
    Steve #48

2005 450r - In great shape, setup perfect for my riding style

Aim: Sjorge3442
    Email : Sjorge_3442@hotmail.com

Temple University

LOL...after I posted that pic I double checked my marks...they are spot on. The pic makes it look off. Kinda weird.

Glamis
    NEW RIDE.....
    Houser Framed '02 CRF450 Hybrid. Powdercoated gold, chrome Houser sub-frame, Houser +4 no-link swingarm, +2 houser a arms, Houser stem, Tag T2 bars, +4 Dominator2 axle, Elka rear shock, Fox Float front shocks, Hardkore hubs, Dream waterpump cover, Dream clutch cover, Fullbore plastic, AC Pro-pegs,braided brake lines, and more....

Originally posted by Glamis400ex
    LOL...after I posted that pic I double checked my marks...they are spot on. The pic makes it look off. Kinda weird.

Glamis
    Yeah the head surface appears to be reflective from oil or something, but that's why the marks look off in the pics. Hopefully someone will chime in about the chain not being fully seated on the sprocket teeth. I can't remember what looks normal to tell you the truth
    00' 400EX - GT Thunder 450 stroker, custom JE 12.5:1 piston,
    +7mm stroked crank, HD stroker rod, HRC cam, GTT full race porting, +1mm intake valves, FCR 39 carb, CRF timing chain, Denso IXG27 iridium plug, full Hinson 8 plate clutch, Desert Toyz Supercooler w/ SPAL fan, UM airbox w/ UNI, CT Hi-Output exhaust, Roll LOBO II F/R, LT PEP 8 click ZPS piggyback fronts, PEP ZPS rear, YFZ brakes/450R master, CCP stabilizer, Hiper Tech beadlocks, Durablue X-33, TAG, Quadtech, ASV, AC, IMS, RAD, Works Connection, Galfer..

05' Kawasaki KLX 110 - Fast 50's springs F/R, HRC cradle, Rox risers, FLY fatbars, NGK CR6HIX iridium plug, Twin Air filter

i have a manual for a 400ex (part of my 300ex manual) and the picture in there shows the chain going almost completly down on the sprocket. I would scan it in, but my scanner isnt hooked up.
    Steve #48

2005 450r - In great shape, setup perfect for my riding style

Aim: Sjorge3442
    Email : Sjorge_3442@hotmail.com

Temple University

you may be able to run it that way....but i would bet it wouldnt last long. there is a smaller/thinner amount of teeth that the chain to mesh on....the chain will wear down the teeth and skip a tooth, eventually. just my opinion though......someone will confirm your question soon.

OK....so how is everyone running and raving about this HD cam chain which is only a CRF450 chain?

Did I buy the wrong one? It's a 14401 MEB 671

In the Honda manual on page 7-19 the 3rd pic looks very similair....I dunno

Glamis
    NEW RIDE.....

thats a good question
    can anyone answer that?

there's 3 marks on the sprocket, the 3rd should be at the top like in the pic, it looks like you've done it correctly. did you put thread lock on the bolts? if not, it will rattle itself loose, and you will have a big problem.
    HONDA 400EX SOLD!
    YAMAHA WOLVERINE 4X4 SOLD!
    YAMAHA RAPTOR 660R

"Whoever said nothing is impossible, never tried slamming a revolving door"

I built my 426 a couple months ago..my chain looked the same way......i have 3 races on mine....and just replaced a t chain on a 99 400ex that had a hd chain from pro fab......it had like 4 hard yr on it...and it jumped time.....looked a fit the same as my crf450....chain and thats what i replaced his with
    nathan

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast